Speculation: At what price would you consider re-signing Barrie?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas has been trying to support the core when they believe that they are close to going all the way. For as much of a disaster as Barrie was this year, he was at least playing okay hockey on the third pair around the trade deadline. Looking forward to playoffs where he was pretty good in an Avs uniform, I don't see why Dubas would have wanted to make the team worse on purpose. And considering that Liljegren really wasn't ready at all this year, hoping he could fill in for Barrie's minutes would have been another mistake.Things obviously didn't work out with Barrie in the playoffs either (woof), but what's the point in trading an NHL defenseman for a bag of pucks when you're looking to go into the playoffs? Depth wins, even when your depth is one dimensional like Barrie.

I was arguing to trade Barrie at the deadline, but that's because I thought the team needed the vote of non-confidence from management to light a fire under them. But I also think that it's a huge stretch to criticize GM's for keeping their rentals heading into the playoffs. Lou did it, Dubas does it, the next guy will do it too.

Agree with you but by pulling out of the Bogo sweepstakes after the loss to Ayres they pretty much sent a message that management did not think this team was good enough to add. If you are not a buyer at the TDL then you gotta be a seller of your UFAs and let the chips fall where they might. They were not beating TB who added bigtime at the TDL.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Agree with you but by pulling out of the Bogo sweepstakes after the loss to Ayres they pretty much sent a message that management did not think this team was good enough to add. If you are not a buyer at the TDL then you gotta be a seller of your UFAs and let the chips fall where they might. They were not beating TB who added bigtime at the TDL.
Tbh I thought they pulled out of the Bogosian sweepstakes because he wasn't any good. There's a big difference between not adding a depth defenseman and trading away a guy who was an All Star the previous season in our literal biggest position of weakness. I don't think the message of "not good enough to add" was sent at all, since we added Clifford and Campbell (goalie was necessary, Clifford was 100% a rental addition). The LA trade came well before the Ayres fiasco, but those were still significant additions. Dubas has done his buying a few months in advance of the deadline, but he's still been buying.

And again, STL is pretty much the only team in recent memory to dump their rentals as a playoff team. I understand us fans wanting to fold the hand and wait for the next round, but it's unreasonable to expect any GM to do it tbh. I've been beating this particular drum since we kept Bozak/JVR.

Reactions: qqaz and Buds17

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tbh I thought they pulled out of the Bogosian sweepstakes because he wasn't any good. There's a big difference between not adding a depth defenseman and trading away a guy who was an All Star the previous season in our literal biggest position of weakness. I don't think the message of "not good enough to add" was sent at all, since we added Clifford and Campbell (goalie was necessary, Clifford was 100% a rental addition). The LA trade came well before the Ayres fiasco, but those were still significant additions. Dubas has done his buying a few months in advance of the deadline, but he's still been buying.

And again, STL is pretty much the only team in recent memory to dump their rentals as a playoff team. I understand us fans wanting to fold the hand and wait for the next round, but it's unreasonable to expect any GM to do it tbh. I've been beating this particular drum since we kept Bozak/JVR.

There was mutal interest between the Leafs and Bogo. The word from Dreger was that Leafs pulled out because they wanted to play the kids.
Bogo is doing fine in TB which probable surprises many that thought he was done. Wonder if Leafs show any interest in him as a UFA. He'd be fine replacing Ceci at half the cap hit.

Reactions: MJK and qqaz

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
There was mutal interest between the Leafs and Bogo. The word from Dreger was that Leafs pulled out because they wanted to play the kids.
Bogo is doing fine in TB which probable surprises many that thought he was done. Wonder if Leafs show any interest in him as a UFA. He'd be fine replacing Ceci at half the cap hit.
Bogo's success in Tampa might yet see him here which would be fine and perhaps adding him might have made the team slightly better.

Honestly, I'm not really bothered about the "playing the kids" narrative at all, I mostly just want Barrie gone. If we roll next season with Holl and two trade additions/UFA signings that's cool with me. Liljegren is in a bit of a weird spot right now and I'd love to see him succeed, but he hasn't really forced his way into the plans. I think him struggling so badly in his call-up probably surprised everyone and made things that much more complicated. He played just 7 games on the roster before Bogosian signed with the Lightning, I think there was still hope at that point that he was going to get comfortable. He played four more before the experiment ended. With so little cap space and such a need on the right side, it's a tough gamble as to whether we pick up a guy like Bogo for the third pair, or if Liljegren can get it done. That's 1.1m in cap space that could go somewhere else, so I don't know what the right answer is. Though as a rule, I don't criticize GM's for the fourth line or the third pair.

Reactions: ToneDog

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
BTW, what's happened to all of the astroturfed promotion of Liljegren? I take a couple month's break, come back and nobody is talking about him any longer like he's some imminent solution to the Leafs' defense problems. It's like night and day. It's not like he played his way into this degraded status, he hasn't played a minute in half a year. Follow the pattern: this is usually what happens to a player once he has become a trading chip.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I loved the trade for Barrie but I would not re sign him at any price. He just didn’t fit.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I loved the trade for Barrie but I would not re sign him at any price. He just didn’t fit.
Same. If the Leafs would have got beast-mode Barrie from the playoffs last year, it's a different story. But he'd have priced himself out of the market anyway.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
LMAO this thread is still on going trying to praise the trade? what a JOKE!

Some things in life are priceless like not having Barrie in a Leafs sweater; for everything else there is Mastercard

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
BTW, what's happened to all of the astroturfed promotion of Liljegren? I take a couple month's break, come back and nobody is talking about him any longer like he's some imminent solution to the Leafs' defense problems. It's like night and day. It's not like he played his way into this degraded status, he hasn't played a minute in half a year. Follow the pattern: this is usually what happens to a player once he has become a trading chip.

He still has his cheer-squad, but the inability to crack our RD fulltime and playing poorly at the NHL level seems to have humbled them somewhat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad