Speculation: At what price would you consider re-signing Barrie?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No thanks, some guys you just don't want around regardless of price. He's just not what this team needs, and arguably is never what this team needed to begin with, I was never a fan of the trade for that reason. The only way Barrie finds any success is with very specific, sheltered usage. All o-zone starts, minutes with all the big guns (MacKinnon/Matthews etc) and lots of PP time. He couldn't adapt at all when challenged to play a more all-around game. Plus he is a reminder of one of Dubas' biggest failures to date and will carry around the hate from fans who would rather just have Kadri back. Not a good environment for either party.

Also, it seems like he's a guy who just really likes to 'have fun', Matthews alluded to him and Barrie's off-ice escapades when he was on Spittin Chiclets and that apparently Barrie loves a great time. Certainly not the first player to be that way but he just strikes me as someone who enjoys the perks of being a hockey player rather than actually loving the game and dedicating himself completely to it. It's almost like he came here thinking he would get an easy payday putting up a bunch of points.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
$1.0 million and the goal would be to build up him long enough to flip him for a future asset. No playoff impact in mind whatsoever.

A sign and trade is not a bad idea.

You could then combine him with say an Alex Kerfoot and bring in a solid affordable productive 3rd line center and get some solid secondary scoring.

What kind of center could that package return? ;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
A sign and trade is not a bad idea.

You could then combine him with say an Alex Kerfoot and bring in a solid affordable productive 3rd line center and get some solid secondary scoring.

What kind of center could that package return? ;)

that would be clearly.... "Nazty" and "The Dream"; "Nifty Mittens" would be nice tooo...... ;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ask yourselves do you want to make the playoffs next year instead of watching them from the sidelines like this year?

Do you want the Leafs goals against #'s numbers to improve so Leafs are not bottom 5 again this upcoming year?

How you answer those questions will heavily on impact how you answer this question and if you would like to see improvement for next year.

This team will not make the playoffs next year with the way it is built!

and even if by some luck they make it (injuries or other reasons other teams can't make it); this team is gonna get smoked in the first round again.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
1-2M is easily a good deal if you can still beef up the top 4 with a respectable defenseman.

If not, you don't sign him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This team will not make the playoffs next year with the way it is built!

and even if by some luck they make it (injuries or other reasons other teams can't make it); this team is gonna get smoked in the first round again.

Who Dubas brings in to replace Barrie and Ceci will be mission critical to deciding if this is a playoff team or not, with Justin Holl being the current best option at RHD on the roster under contract.

So that said moving on from Barrie is in the teams best interest going forward. IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I never wanted to see Barrie in a Leafs jersey to begin with and I sure as Hell won’t give him a penny.

He cant gtfo of here soon enough. Too bad the fax machine didn’t jam on this stupid trade...... :thumbd:

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
For some reason I read this as re-sign Bernier.

As for Barrie, I hope he does bounce back next year but no team should offer him for than $4M. He would be amazing in Boston though.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
No thanks, some guys you just don't want around regardless of price. He's just not what this team needs, and arguably is never what this team needed to begin with, I was never a fan of the trade for that reason. The only way Barrie finds any success is with very specific, sheltered usage. All o-zone starts, minutes with all the big guns (MacKinnon/Matthews etc) and lots of PP time. He couldn't adapt at all when challenged to play a more all-around game. Plus he is a reminder of one of Dubas' biggest failures to date and will carry around the hate from fans who would rather just have Kadri back. Not a good environment for either party.

Also, it seems like he's a guy who just really likes to 'have fun', Matthews alluded to him and Barrie's off-ice escapades when he was on Spittin Chiclets and that apparently Barrie loves a great time. Certainly not the first player to be that way but he just strikes me as someone who enjoys the perks of being a hockey player rather than actually loving the game and dedicating himself completely to it. It's almost like he came here thinking he would get an easy payday putting up a bunch of points.

Well, well said! There is a culture issue with this team. It needs to change. Matthews needs to be surrounded by hard workers, not the opposite.

Reactions: Cobra777

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
tree-fiddy-5be635.jpg

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Pass.

I'd prefer to bring back Ceci, and I don't particularly like Ceci. But at least he fills a roll, and can be trusted in our zone.

There's probably 5 or 6 players that could sign as free agents for near minimum that I'd rather have. Bogosian, Yannick Webber, Stone, Schenn, Sbisa, Folin, Hamhuis. Holy cow I named 7 without flinching.

No to Barrie, at any price. It's not just an exaggeration or a joke. We really could do better for league min. We don't need what he brings.

Reactions: Duffman955

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe as a 3rd line centre at league min maybe. But he is too scared to ever play defense. Once he hears someone coming in to forecheck he lets his partner deal with it. and basically worse than useless in front of net. I'd rather have Gards stupid than Barrie chickem sh*t.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'm okay with having ONE 'Barrie' type player. But the Leafs already have an offensive, but equally useless on defense player in Rielly.
If you trade Rielly, would be more interested. Otherwise, rather have Cody Ceci, Luke Schenn, Dave Ayres' second cousin, etc.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Pass.

I'd prefer to bring back Ceci, and I don't particularly like Ceci. But at least he fills a roll, and can be trusted in our zone.

There's probably 5 or 6 players that could sign as free agents for near minimum that I'd rather have. Bogosian, Yannick Webber, Stone, Schenn, Sbisa, Folin, Hamhuis. Holy cow I named 7 without flinching.

No to Barrie, at any price. It's not just an exaggeration or a joke. We really could do better for league min. We don't need what he brings.
I'm not sure why you are so surprised you could name a bunch of defensemen worse than Barrie. that's not very hard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad