Speculation: At what price would you consider re-signing Barrie?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe 2.5-3 but I imagine I would regret it.
I agree with you except for the regret. Barrie is a very good defenceman although you wouldn't know it by watching this year. I think we we got another year at that price - it is a risk worth taking.

Reactions: ToneDog

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I would consider bringing Barrie back. I'd rather have him than Jake Gardiner at this point. The only guy I don't want at any price is Cody Ceci. He's one of the worst Leafs I've ever seen.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Decent player but was clearly a very poor fit on the team. It would be best for him and the leafs for him to go elsewhere. I don't want him, regardless the price.

Reactions: CincoHolio

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
50k to have the players sticks and blades ready. Want absolutely no part of this clown playing for this team. Literally better off without him, even if he was for free

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
A 2-way deal with an NHL minimum salary but the idea to play him on primarily on the Marlies, similar to the current Marincin role

Reactions: KapG

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Under 2 mil is fine. Pay him for what he is, a bottom pairing defenceman who can't play defence but can get the occasional 2nd assist.

Hilarious seeing comments on the Avs board of people ok with signing him at 7 per.

Brutal trade. Kadri with 16 points in 14 playoff games.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What’s more of a rare occurrence, a lunar eclipse or a defensive zone start for Tyson Barrie?

Reactions: qqaz

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Nah, let him succeed somewhere else. At $2m or something he's probably good value to play on the third pair and put up some points, but I'd really rather give Rielly the #1 PP minutes and get some development time on the ice for Liljegren than shelter Barrie's ass all season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nah, let him succeed somewhere else. At $2m or something he's probably good value to play on the third pair and put up some points, but I'd really rather give Rielly the #1 PP minutes and get some development time on the ice for Liljegren than shelter Barrie's ass all season.

Pretty much what the Leafs said when they pulled out of the Bogo sweepstakes. What puzzles me is if that was the case, why not move Barrie at the TDL for a pick or a bag of pucks ? Dubas probably will tell you nobody offered anything. Not even a bag of pucks ??

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Under 2 mil is fine. Pay him for what he is, a bottom pairing defenceman who can't play defence but can get the occasional 2nd assist.

Hilarious seeing comments on the Avs board of people ok with signing him at 7 per.

Brutal trade. Kadri with 16 points in 14 playoff games.

LOL. Pretty ironic that the player who was traded because he was suspended two years in a row is still playing while the genius Dubas, his boss and their highly skilled team are watching on TV.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This trade is forever going to haunt me. Trades away exactly what this team needs and lacks for Barrie...smh. The kappy deal is nice but man i have PTSD, everytime i hear Kadri or Barries name i want to cry

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Full disclosure: Everyone know this was a mess of a trade, and everyone hope his season was better or that he turned it around for the playoffs..but that didn't happen.

Lots of what ifs here:

What if we don't get Petro with STL clearing cap room.

What if the trades we all want are too expensive to make it happen.

What if Barrie had a Nylander type year this year. Ie Babcock didn't put him a roll to flourish and he couldn't get it going this season.

What if his play and Covid affects the type of offers he gets.

Would you bring him back? If so, at what price point. As little at 1yr x 4 or maybe as high as 5yr x 5. Thoughts?

People saying "no price" are ridiculous.

Of course he's worth the 2.75M we paid him last year. But he should NOT be relied on as a top pairing guy. We need an elite top pairing RHD on this team. And then Barrie would be a good 2nd pairing guy. For 2.75M. He he wants more than that, he can go elsewhere.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Pretty much what the Leafs said when they pulled out of the Bogo sweepstakes. What puzzles me is if that was the case, why not move Barrie at the TDL for a pick or a bag of pucks ? Dubas probably will tell you nobody offered anything. Not even a bag of pucks ??

Dubas has been trying to support the core when they believe that they are close to going all the way. For as much of a disaster as Barrie was this year, he was at least playing okay hockey on the third pair around the trade deadline. Looking forward to playoffs where he was pretty good in an Avs uniform, I don't see why Dubas would have wanted to make the team worse on purpose. And considering that Liljegren really wasn't ready at all this year, hoping he could fill in for Barrie's minutes would have been another mistake.Things obviously didn't work out with Barrie in the playoffs either (woof), but what's the point in trading an NHL defenseman for a bag of pucks when you're looking to go into the playoffs? Depth wins, even when your depth is one dimensional like Barrie.

I was arguing to trade Barrie at the deadline, but that's because I thought the team needed the vote of non-confidence from management to light a fire under them. But I also think that it's a huge stretch to criticize GM's for keeping their rentals heading into the playoffs. Lou did it, Dubas does it, the next guy will do it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad