Speculation: At what price would you consider re-signing Barrie?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Full disclosure: Everyone know this was a mess of a trade, and everyone hope his season was better or that he turned it around for the playoffs..but that didn't happen.

Lots of what ifs here:

What if we don't get Petro with STL clearing cap room.

What if the trades we all want are too expensive to make it happen.

What if Barrie had a Nylander type year this year. Ie Babcock didn't put him a roll to flourish and he couldn't get it going this season.

What if his play and Covid affects the type of offers he gets.

Would you bring him back? If so, at what price point. As little at 1yr x 4 or maybe as high as 5yr x 5. Thoughts?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Could he pay the Leafs to play for them?

The Leafs turned out to be such a poor fit for him. I do wonder whether there's an NHL team so defensively disciplined all through the lineup who could shelter him sufficiently to be an asset. Maybe the Dallas Stars or the Blue Jackets?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I already posted my fears of this in the playoff thread watching the Avs success at Leafs expense.

Truth be told I'm a little nervous.

If you combine the 2 X Colorado trades together its Kadri + Hutchinson + 3rd (75th OA) for Barrie and Kerfoot and 6th.

By trading Kapanen for a 1st he damped the damage inflicted by the previous Marleau trade, by now moving back a few spots in the 2020 draft from 13th to 15th, but it created some extra cap space as well.

What IF, to damped the effects of the lopsided Kadri trade, he now uses that extra cap space to re-sign Barrie instead of letting him walk as UFA? What are the odds of what would appear to be damage control, to actually happen? :)

I said at the time of the trade that bring in Barrie was a mistake if you're doing it to improve the defense because he plays like a "rover" and as such makes your team weaker defensively. So not bringing him back and accepting the mistake of this trade is the best option. IMO

Reactions: qqaz

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
People are so dramatic, he wasn't bad for us almost the minute Keefe took over the team.

No idea what price I'd pay for him, but not wanting him back at any price? Smh. I get him shooting into every shin pad imaginable was annoying as hell and his defense was average at best, but this is why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't see the fit. Doesn't make sense alongside Rielly. Isn't going to displace Holl alongside Muzzin. Shouldn't bump any of the others from PP1. Other aspects of the game aren't quite there during the times when the offence dries up.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Maybe if he pays my bills for the rest of my life. Even that is a maybe.

The guy was f***ing horrible, the worst defenseman I ever seen in Leafs jersey maybe other than Wozniewski.
He was completely useless defensively, lost every god damn puck battle, I mean all of them. We knew he was a defensive liability, but he was terrible at offense as well.

The best part of this first round exit is that I won't see him again in a Leafs jersey.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
If the league allowed us to be given cap space to allow Barrie to play on our team, then I would re-sign him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
$1.0 million and the goal would be to build up him long enough to flip him for a future asset. No playoff impact in mind whatsoever.

Reactions: CincoHolio

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

The guy was f***ing horrible, the worst defenseman I ever seen in Leafs jersey maybe other than Wozniewski.
He was completely useless defensively, lost every god damn puck battle, I mean all of them. We knew he was a defensive liability, but he was terrible at offense as well.

The best part of this first round exit is that I won't see him again in a Leafs jersey.

I'll repeat myself. In the past when I've heard in advance that an offensive defenseman isn't very good defensively, I've usually been pleasantly surprised that the player is at least semi-competent most of the time just with some tendencies to gamble or have brain farts. No, this was a case of an offensive defenseman who is shockingly below average at hauling the puck out of his own end and who doesn't just have a tough time with forecheck pressure, he bails out facing forecheck pressure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ask yourselves do you want to make the playoffs next year instead of watching them from the sidelines like this year?

Do you want the Leafs goals against #'s numbers to improve so Leafs are not bottom 5 again this upcoming year?

How you answer those questions will heavily on impact how you answer this question and if you would like to see improvement for next year.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Signing him for a few million would be a good offensive backup in the case rielly were to get injured.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
People are so dramatic, he wasn't bad for us almost the minute Keefe took over the team.
Leafs fans dramatic? I have no idea what you mean

Oh, right

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad