Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Andersson is #1 for me, but there's maybe five guys who a legit case could be made for

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Other than Valimaki, Jankowski is the only prospect that doesn't have the red flags of Gillies (technical ability exposed on-ice after turning pro), Fox (bad defense/size), Kylington (high event playstyle), Parsons (long runway due to position) , Andersson (off-ice work ethic and struggled with puck possession), or Rittich (sample size). Personally I don't buy that Valimaki has a higher ceiling than Jankowski, Parsons, or Kylington.

my top six goes

Jankowski
Parsons
Kylington
Valimaki
Rittich
Andersson

I can understand 2-6 being interchangeable due to the aformentioned red flags and I can fully understand someone wanting to squeeze Fox or Gillies in there out irrational hope. But Jankowski is our best prospect bar none. We're talking about a kid that could have a Mark Stone-esque rookie season next season (although if he plays center may not get the raw ice time for it due to team depth), a kid who is at his most productive in close, important games rather than blowouts, and a kid who has helped his team win pretty big.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
OKG I'm curious, would you rather have Jankowski on wing or Bennett?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
OKG I'm curious, would you rather have Jankowski on wing or Bennett?

Neither. Both need to play center and develop and develop at the position, which is their best fit for a cup contender. I'd almost rather turn Backlund into a Hossa/Steen/Zetterberg type winger than sacrifice the development of these two kids.

If you really need an answer though, it would depend which top 6 side has an injury. RW (Ferland/Frolik), Jankowski. LW (Gaudreau/Tkachuk), then Bennett. My ideal top nine would be:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Ferland
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Monahan
Frolik-Bennett-Versteeg

allowing our three best centers to play center, and every line to be a speedy scoring threat. Monahan could score 45 goals with those two linemates, and Bennett could hit 25 with those two linemates.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Jankowski
Valimaki
Kylington/Andersson
Parsons

Gillies/Rittich
Fox
Mangiapane
Dube
Kulak

Falkovsky
Klimchuk
Poirier
Ollas-Mattsson

The Rest

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Roughly:

Jankowski
Valimaki
Andersson
Parsons
Gillies
Dube
Fox
Kylington
Rittich
Kulak
Mangiapane
Klimchuk

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Other than Valimaki, Jankowski is the only prospect that doesn't have the red flags of Gillies (technical ability exposed on-ice after turning pro), Fox (bad defense/size), Kylington (high event playstyle), Parsons (long runway due to position) , Andersson (off-ice work ethic and struggled with puck possession), or Rittich (sample size). Personally I don't buy that Valimaki has a higher ceiling than Jankowski, Parsons, or Kylington.

my top six goes

Jankowski
Parsons
Kylington
Valimaki
Rittich
Andersson

I can understand 2-6 being interchangeable due to the aformentioned red flags and I can fully understand someone wanting to squeeze Fox or Gillies in there out irrational hope. But Jankowski is our best prospect bar none. We're talking about a kid that could have a Mark Stone-esque rookie season next season (although if he plays center may not get the raw ice time for it due to team depth), a kid who is at his most productive in close, important games rather than blowouts, and a kid who has helped his team win pretty big.

Valimaki is known to be the type of prospect that has a very safe floor but his ceiling isn't amazing, but he can still be an Ekholm type player in his ceiling with a little more offense. Even in a very deep 2018 draft, Valimaki would have probably went 16th overall. Many guys that were chosen in front of him this year didn't deserve it. In 2018 if he was drafted where he deserved, he'd still be 16th overall or so.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
For me it's
Jankowski
Andersson
Valimaki
Parsons
Fox
Kylington
Gillies

However Valimaki is the safest of all. Best floor, and not the worst ceiling, but in terms of ceiling Parsons and Kylington have an advantage over him.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Anyone know why the Tri-City Americans +/- is distributed so unevenly? I know it's not a very good stat, but still the drastic differences of different players on the team makes me wonder. Does it have to do with usage?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Valimaki is known to be the type of prospect that has a very safe floor but his ceiling isn't amazing, but he can still be an Ekholm type player in his ceiling with a little more offense. Even in a very deep 2018 draft, Valimaki would have probably went 16th overall. Many guys that were chosen in front of him this year didn't deserve it. In 2018 if he was drafted where he deserved, he'd still be 16th overall or so.

Ekholm with more offence is called a #1D across the league.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ekholm with more offence is called a #1D across the league.

He's an Ekholm taking on weaker than top line competition (But I don't mean weak competition overall, 2nd liners, and also with weaker team mates as well) with slightly worse speed, slightly worse defense, but slightly better offense.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Okay, since we're doing prospect rankings, here is mine:

Fox
Välimäki
Jankowski
Andersson
Mangiapane
Kylington
Dubé
Phillips

I don't include goalies in this, but Parsons would be my #1 G prospect.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Neither. Both need to play center and develop and develop at the position, which is their best fit for a cup contender. I'd almost rather turn Backlund into a Hossa/Steen/Zetterberg type winger than sacrifice the development of these two kids.

If you really need an answer though, it would depend which top 6 side has an injury. RW (Ferland/Frolik), Jankowski. LW (Gaudreau/Tkachuk), then Bennett. My ideal top nine would be:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Ferland
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Monahan
Frolik-Bennett-Versteeg

allowing our three best centers to play center, and every line to be a speedy scoring threat. Monahan could score 45 goals with those two linemates, and Bennett could hit 25 with those two linemates.

I couldn't let this abortion of a lineup sneak by without some hysterical laughter. You need to share some of your supply man, i'd love to see the colors of the world like you do...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Any reason why abortion and abomination are used interchangeably? I'm seeing it more and more and it's getting into the realm of the common mix ups like:

They're/there/their
Then/Than
Effect/Affect
Could have vs could of
Role/roll

Is this on purpose?

/pet peeve

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad