Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Yes, I am much more excited on Juuso. I think he is a blue chip.

Andersson is a decent prospect but no sure thing

Fox I am not sold on. He'll be like Wideman at best if he can even get there. The guy has no defense.

The thing is you can improve defense. If you have the offense you can develop the defense through coaching and practice.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
No idea. Not super concerned about Vanc.

I'm very intrigued by Valimaki's size though. 6'2 212 pounds.

For comparison, Juolevi is 6'3 180 pounds and Ristolainen is 6'4 205. Hedman is 6'6 223 lbs.

Are there any other raw size comparisons we can look at? Valimaki might not be super physical, but with that size, he'll be hard to move for sure. Hopefully he is a proper Nokia product and durable as hell as well.

Did you see his dad in the stands? Huge, huge man and in a NFL linebacker way, not fat. Nhl scouts look at genetics

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Very whelmed. Super disappointed that the Flames missed out on Vesalainen but Valimaki is definitely a good pick.

Hoping for the best.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Great pick. With Suzuki and Andersson gone, I'm quite happy with it (even if they were there I wouldn't have been too ******** if the Flames took him).

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I like that he stated in multiple interviews that he wants to work on his change of direction and acceleration from pivots. I mentioned earlier that he had struggled at times to make plays going back for pucks, and identified this specifically as a big part of the reason.

Seems like a very intelligent guy.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Did you see his dad in the stands? Huge, huge man and in a NFL linebacker way, not fat. Nhl scouts look at genetics

Well yes I did which is why I was intrigued. I'm not thinking Doug Murray as a comparable, but I'm not sure what dmen have a similar size and mobility to Valimaki. I'm more interested to see how well that size can protect a puck and durability.

Not a style comparison, but I wonder if his build might be similar to Regehr. However, Regehr was a little bigger and heavier based on some stats I found. If he has that type of durability and difficulty in being pushed off a puck like Regehr, I'd be elated.

But time will tell.

EDIT: Looks like Hamonic is of a similar build. Rather than aimlessly guess, I'll just watch this play out

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Apparently he can play in Stockton next year. If Wotherspoon is cut loose our Stockton top four should again be VERY young:

Kylington (20) - Andersson (21)
Valimaki (19) - Healey (23)
X - Doetzal (22)

Also the possibility one or both of Falkovsky (20/21) and/or Ollas-Mattsson (21) find their way onto the roster.

Fun times for Rittich and Gillies especially if Jankowski isn't there to go all BacklundMode for the poor team :D

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Apparently he can play in Stockton next year. If Wotherspoon is cut loose our Stockton top four should again be VERY young:

X - Doetzal (22)

Also the possibility one or both of Falkovsky (20/21) and/or Ollas-Mattsson (21) find their way onto the roster.

Fun times for Rittich and Gillies especially if Jankowski isn't there to go all BacklundMode for the poor team :D

That is one insanely young blueline. But if they're gonna play might as well play them all in the ahl.

Aug 3, 2010

[NHL2]c-52306003[/NHL2]

Did you mean THIS giant? ------------------------------------^ :amazed:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

X - Doetzal (22)

Where are you seeing he's AHL eligible? That's fantastic news.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Never seen him play, but a PMD that was the 4th heaviest player taken in the Round 1 is interesting, plus a PPG pace in CHL draft year, plus captain of gold u18 team. They're good omens at least.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY.jpg

:laugh:

My problem(s) with these posts are:

1) At least suggest who your BPA pick was if you disagreed with Calgary's.

2) You have no proof that Calgary didn't select for who they thought was BPA.

3) This depth-focused draft. There's no extreme standouts (except for Yamamoto's height and weight in the first round :amazed::sarcasm:) and people have already begun speculation that this draft may not even have a major trophy winner from a player selected in the first round other than the Calder.

4)
19789999.jpg
Being "whemed" just means you're being submerged or engulfed, as opposed to overwhelmed (overpowered) or underwhelmed.

From the quick reading I'm sure almost all of HFFlames' posters will engage in regarding further research on Valimaki's acquisition, he is by no means a poor choice at 16.

What? Lol

I said he was the BPA. Not sure what I need to defend exactly.

Whelmed = satisfied

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Matt Pelech was a winger , so yes Erixon was the only one since Dion.. and he was #23
Pelech was drafted as a defenseman and played as one for the baby Flames. He was later converted to the wing after leaving the organization

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He shouldn't be allowed to play in the AHL next year as he was drafted out of the CHL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
IIRC Euro players who are on loan to the CHL team can play in the AHL for some reason. Not sure if this is the case with Valimaki.

I will admit I'm not familiar with that particular situation. I don't even know where to look for that info. But if Tri-City looks like they will be a good team, I think that's the best place for him

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Where are you seeing he's AHL eligible? That's fantastic news.

He signed a 2 year pro contract with Ilves of the Finnish league in 2015 but not sure if that is still valid. Technically he could've been on loan in Tri City for the past two seasons and that would make him AHL eligible.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Besides he has the IQ. If you have super high IQ, learning defense is super easy as opposed to being dumb as a rock.

yeah it's so easy that he hasnt bothered to learn it so far.

Fox is the 2nd most overrated prospect on the Flames right now, after Kulak

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Keep em coming.

I hate agreeing with him, but it's true. People make Fox out to be some kind of elite untouchable prospect because he put up points in a pretty weak conference. While Fox has great potential, he's very much like Kylington IMO, a bit of a long shot due to the style of game he plays and maybe even more of a long shot due to being a little smaller. At this point in time he's a good, but not great prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad