Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Any reason why abortion and abomination are used interchangeably? I'm seeing it more and more and it's getting into the realm of the common mix ups like:

They're/there/their
Then/Than
Effect/Affect
Could have vs could of
Role/roll

Is this on purpose?

/pet peeve
Generally when people use abortion it is to exemplify how awful something is.

abortion
This page is about the slang term abortion

Meaning: a total failure

For example:

The government's housing project was a complete abortion. It cost millions and it didn't help anyone.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Does Juuso have any chance in getting a spot in the NHL roster? I am curious, because he would be a perfect fit in his home team Ilves in Finland and there he would get to play a more physical, tactical and quicker game than in WHL.

I am in any case really happy that my hometown kid was selected to a traditional Canadian team.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Does Juuso have any chance in getting a spot in the NHL roster? I am curious, because he would be a perfect fit in his home team Ilves in Finland and there he would get to play a more physical, tactical and quicker game than in WHL.

I am in any case really happy that my hometown kid was selected to a traditional Canadian team.

He probably won't play in the NHL this year, no. I think most people's preference is that he plays for our AHL team if he's eligible, or goes to play in Liiga.

While we're at it, do you know whether he's AHL-eligible? Some assumed not because he played in the CHL, but some people seem to think he could because they'd heard he was on loan from a contract in Finland.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

That'd be really tough for him, tbh.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I thought it was interesting as he is the first player drafted in the 1st round in a long time that when asked he candidly said he probably isn't ready this year.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I thought it was interesting as he is the first player drafted in the 1st round in a long time that when asked he candidly said he probably isn't ready this year.

He seems like a very smart, down-to-earth kid. I personally am not one for the constant swagger that most first round picks exude; confidence is fine, but don't act like you're God's gift to hockey if you haven't played a pro game yet.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
He seems like a very smart, down-to-earth kid.

He is like that and a true sportsman when it comes to attitude for everything including nutrition. Every Finnish coach has loved him and praised him for his leadership skills in and off the ice.

He was drafted from WHL so he is not AHL-aligible until he turns 20. The options are junior leagues or European leagues.

I would love to see him in Finnish league in Ilves jersey playing against men. Ilves coach Karri Kivi has lead the U20 team to championship a few years ago and has a reputation of developing young players and there is a big role available for Juuso, so I hope he will get his final steps before NHL in Finland.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He is like that and a true sportsman when it comes to attitude for everything including nutrition. Every Finnish coach has loved him and praised him for his leadership skills in and off the ice.

He was drafted from WHL so he is not AHL-aligible until he turns 20. The options are junior leagues or European leagues.

I would love to see him in Finnish league in Ilves jersey playing against men. Ilves coach Karri Kivi has lead the U20 team to championship a few years ago and has a reputation of developing young players and there is a big role available for Juuso, so I hope he will get his final steps before NHL in Finland.

I doubt he goes back to Finland.
He'll play in Tri-City again this year. He'll get some time at the end of the season in Stockton when Tri-City gets knocked out of the playoffs or doesn't make it. He'll get a lot of ice time there; Parker Wotherspoon should be set to graduate to the AHL soon here... He'll be the 1D without question.

He can take a year in Stockton to play against men... I imagine he might be an NHL'er by 2019-2020. That'd be a good curve for him. Might take an extra year just based on how many guys we have playing the RD role; and the guys ahead of him.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

Shame about his AHL eligibility. We would have a very young blueline but we don't really have a player quite like Valimaki down there right now, he would be a great addition.

I definitely support the idea of him going to play in Liiga in that case, it's definitely a step up from the CHL.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any reason why abortion and abomination are used interchangeably? I'm seeing it more and more and it's getting into the realm of the common mix ups like:

They're/there/their
Then/Than
Effect/Affect
Could have vs could of
Role/roll

Is this on purpose?

/pet peeve

It's not an error like those. They are just two ways to say the same thing, essentially. People started using abortion in a metaphorical sense to refer to things that are distasteful or disgusting, given many consider abortion, or at least the concept of it, to be those things. Of course, we already had a word for it, but the English language has many words with the same meaning.

If I had to separate the meanings, I'd say abomination has more of an accusatory tone to it.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Generally when people use abortion it is to exemplify how awful something is.

abortion
This page is about the slang term abortion

Meaning: a total failure

For example:

The government's housing project was a complete abortion. It cost millions and it didn't help anyone.

Can confirm that I was using it in this slang sense, abomination just doesn't flow off the tongue as nicely Fig.

I would personally rather see him try and take on a men's league than return to the CHL, and unfortunately I don't see him making the NHL right away. I think he would develop great with some experience against wiley old vets, especially if he is given a significant role. Then bring him back to the AHL next year.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

That settles that

giphy.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Makes sense to me. They already have a lot of young defencemen who are AHL eligible as it is.

That blueline will be clogged up with talent.
They need a spot for:
Andersson (if he doesn't make the opening day roster)
Kylington
Falkovsky (he beat the ECHL, time for the AHL)
Wotherspoon (if he doesn't make the opening day roster)
Kanzig (should be in the ECHL, but, hey, keep developing him)

That's 5 spots; with a lot of those guys unable to even legally drink in Stockton.

Plus factor in Bartkowski should be playing down there. 6 spots, normally you need like 9-10 defenders a year in the AHL. Just not enough ice-time for Juuso to continue development. Would rather have the Keith Aulie's or Kostka's of the world playing limited minutes.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
That blueline will be clogged up with talent.
They need a spot for:
Andersson (if he doesn't make the opening day roster)
Kylington
Falkovsky (he beat the ECHL, time for the AHL)
Wotherspoon (if he doesn't make the opening day roster)
Kanzig (should be in the ECHL, but, hey, keep developing him)

That's 5 spots; with a lot of those guys unable to even legally drink in Stockton.

Plus factor in Bartkowski should be playing down there. 6 spots, normally you need like 9-10 defenders a year in the AHL. Just not enough ice-time for Juuso to continue development. Would rather have the Keith Aulie's or Kostka's of the world playing limited minutes.

Unfortunately as far as I've read, Drinking is the least worrisome of problems our prospects could find themselves in in Stockton. Not loving the location minus the easy travel schedule.

I would rather see Valimaki in Finland with all of this in mind, I feel like he'll just stagnate in the WHL- what else does he have to prove there? He was over a PPG while being a steadying defensive force for that team.

Also, I'm happy to drop my use of the A word for those uncomfortable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Unfortunately as far as I've read, Drinking is the least worrisome of problems our prospects could find themselves in in Stockton. Not loving the location minus the easy travel schedule.

I would rather see Valimaki in Finland with all of this in mind, I feel like he'll just stagnate in the WHL- what else does he have to prove there? He was over a PPG while being a steadying defensive force for that team.

Also, I'm happy to drop my use of the A word for those uncomfortable.

He's going to be the 1D in Tri-City.
Parker Wotherspoon should be graduating; meaning Juuso will be the guy.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006

That settles that

Sounds interesting.

I did not know that he had any contract to Ilves Tampere (his former Finnish Team). If he did not have a contract, the team is not able to loan a player that is free to move anywhere he wants to. If he had, moving to WHL would have required negotiations with the team, which no-one here has heard about and would have been published in fan forums for sure.

Can anyone confirm that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->