Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
yeah it's so easy that he hasnt bothered to learn it so far.

Fox is the 2nd most overrated prospect on the Flames right now, after Kulak

Well with the situations Fox was used (Only speculation from other Flames fans never watched him myself), and the fact that they don't really teach strong defense until you actually make the NHL, Fox doesn't really require good defensive play, and even the smartest people get careless now and then, which emphasizes his so called "weak defensive play". If Fox was put in a situation where the coach told him to focus on defense, with his high IQ, he'd most likely do well and play great defense. It's no guarantee, but high IQ players develop defensive play far easier than dumb ones.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I hate agreeing with him, but it's true. People make Fox out to be some kind of elite untouchable prospect because he put up points in a pretty weak conference. While Fox has great potential, he's very much like Kylington IMO, a bit of a long shot due to the style of game he plays and maybe even more of a long shot due to being a little smaller. At this point in time he's a good, but not great prospect.

They both have flaws. Kylington is that he usually tries to do too much and turns the puck over.

Fox just needs to get faster and stronger, but from what I've seen he's always making smart plays.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I hate agreeing with him, but it's true. People make Fox out to be some kind of elite untouchable prospect because he put up points in a pretty weak conference. While Fox has great potential, he's very much like Kylington IMO, a bit of a long shot due to the style of game he plays and maybe even more of a long shot due to being a little smaller. At this point in time he's a good, but not great prospect.

I've got him mentally as a solid B prospect. High risk, but could be a solid second pair defenseman or a 3rd pairing guy who plays 2nd PP.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They both have flaws. Kylington is that he usually tries to do too much and turns the puck over.

Fox just needs to get faster and stronger, but from what I've seen he's always making smart plays.
Don't get me wrong, I like both Kylington and Fox, but people have been hyping up Fox like he's a blue chip prospect.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Would assume the reason we haven't heard a definite answer on whether he's AHL eligible is because the front office is trying to figure that out themselves right now

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This was a fantastic pick by the Flames. He's not far behind Heiskanen at all, I really like the Ekholm comparison for him, but he's quite a bit more offensive minded. I think he's gonna play in the NHL so I don't see much risk here and I see a Hedman/Ekholm hybrid. Great pick by the Flames!

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
my 2nd choice for the 16 overall pick, great pick, and less risky than Liljgren. Now we need to trade some of this RHS prospect depth on the point for a solid RW PWF prospect. I'd look to trade Fox personally.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Same size as Hamonic, hopefully he can work on his mean streak.
But you also know he'll be compared to Lilejgren for the next few years.....

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

There are more people with realistic expectations of Fox recognizing his strengths and deficiencies.

When he's described as untouchable it's probably because the return isn't worth what he could become. Not because he's a blue chip sure-thing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There are more people with realistic expectations of Fox recognizing his strengths and deficiencies.

When he's described as untouchable it's probably because the return isn't worth what he could become. Not because he's a blue chip sure-thing.
Which just means they are valuing him like a blue-chipper. Because he's only suggested in deals as a decent piece to entice the opposition. No one is including him in offers just to get something in return.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
yeah it's so easy that he hasnt bothered to learn it so far.

Fox is the 2nd most overrated prospect on the Flames right now, after Kulak

Fox is in fact the best prospect on the Flames, but carry on.

As for "Fox put up points in a weak conference," his PPG rates in conference and out-of-conference games last year were the same (and ECAC is not that weak anyway).

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Which just means they are valuing him like a blue-chipper. Because he's only suggested in deals as a decent piece to entice the opposition. No one is including him in offers just to get something in return.

I don't really think that's what he's saying. He's saying that people don't want to trade Fox because the reward if he pans out is likely far greater than the return we'd get. Nobody is valuing him as a blue chip, it's that he's too intriguing of a prospect to give up for peanuts at this current time.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I will admit I'm not familiar with that particular situation. I don't even know where to look for that info. But if Tri-City looks like they will be a good team, I think that's the best place for him

It's not confirmed and some of the info is not available, but I believe someone (Sureloss?) on CP said that there seems to be enough evidence to believe Valimaki was on a Euro transfer agreement, and thus there is a good chance he can play in the AHL next season.

Would be fantastic if true.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Fox is in fact the best prospect on the Flames, but carry on.

As for "Fox put up points in a weak conference," his PPG rates in conference and out-of-conference games last year were the same (and ECAC is not that weak anyway).

I smell a prospect ranking!!

Honestly I would say it's Valimaki with his combination of skill, skating and size. But I tend to agree with you I think he absolutely belongs in the discussion with Parsons, Andersson and Jankowski. If not right at the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad