Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Calgary Flames Select Juuso Valimaki

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Had an eye on him since early in the year. Think T.J Brodie. He needs to become a bit better defensively, but the way he gets up and down the ice is certainly Brodie-like.

Struggled to make some plays under pressure on pucks he had to turn on at times. Pins well defensively. Logged a tonne of solid minutes in WJC as a draft eligible which is impressive.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Seems like a decent pick on the surface. Definitely better than Tolvanen, Kostin, or Vesalainen.

But will be interesting to see how Valimaki vs. Liljegren plays out.

With Valimaki, Kylington, Andersson, Fox, Ollas-Mattsson and Falkovsky in the system, hopefully the Flames can be the next Ducks.

Aug 3, 2010
Avoided a couple of questionable picks (Tippett, namely) but couldn't pick up a true faller. I'm very happy Kostin wasn't the one announced - I have no bias against the Russian factor yet Calgary as an organization seems to lack the ability to draw, draft, or properly utilize Russian players.

Skates well, intelligent, and overall sounds like a very balanced young blueliner with some leadership capabilities. A solid choice. Hard to complain and Calgary absolutely can deal from a position of real strength.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Welcome to the Flames! Like the pick. We have some damn good D prospects to go along with Hamilton/Brodie/Gio.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
He probably has the same sort of offensive upside as Brodie, but I think they're relatively different players, Valimaki is a fair bit more physical and has a far better shot. Interesting prospect, there are plenty of players with the same upside in the NHL but none who play quite the same way. See him as a top 3 d-man.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Valimaki at 6'1.5", 200+ lbs is very intriguing as he can also skate and pass the puck.

Should be a solid player for us down the line.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Valimaki at 6'1.5", 200+ lbs is very intriguing as he can also skate and pass the pass.

Should be a solid player for us down the line.

This is what's most important. Never would I draft a player who cannot pass the pass.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Seems like a pretty solid pick. With this draft you got to trust the scouts. Theres a bunch of players that seem to be at the same level.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Reading through the draft profile in the OP, Ekholm is not a bad comparison at all, but I think Valimaki's offensive skill and ceiling is a bit higher, and he has a better shot, too.

Here's some good stuff for your entertainment:

Phoenix66

Jun 13, 2017
Considering the only D we've taken in the first round since Dion is Pelech (late first) and Erixon (20 something), probably.

Unless I'm forgetting someone.

Matt Pelech was a winger , so yes Erixon was the only one since Dion.. and he was #23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad