Confirmed with Link: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 6th (17) to Columbus for Saad, Forsberg, 5th (18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
So... Panarin gave his first interview last night since the trade and let's just say it's ... interesting.

Some highlights of it:

- What was your first reaction to the news about the exchange in Columbus?

"Not a very pleasant reaction. I understand that nothing terrible has happened. And I think that everything is for the best. But it turned out so unexpectedly that I fell into a light confusion. I do not know how to call this state. However, a lot of thoughts began to circulate in my head. How to move there? What to do? How? Why?

It took a day, and the next morning I realized that there was no problem. This can happen to every NHL player. But understand, there were no rumors! I did not have time to prepare mentally. Would perceive the news without problems. And then there are women, a bolt from the blue."

"I repeat that the transition to Columbus - not a problem at all. After the exchange in "Columbus" for me, these esemaski (??) collapsed in a heap. And I closed for two weeks from everyone. I do not like all this excitement."

It's not like an exchange from St. Petersburg to Nizhnekamsk, is it?" Columbus is a neat campus.
- I did not go much there. But I played in a small Chekhov, so you will not surprise me with small towns. Normal to this attitude. Hence, the concentration on hockey will be higher.

And what is important, in the NHL there is no such that one team is weaker than the other. Approximately the same clubs, the standard of living in the city. So there is no problem. On the contrary, I want to train even more. Such moments harden and give impetus to development."

- Under your number 72 in "Columbus" stands Sergei Bobrovsky. Did not they offer him a coin toss?
- Or maybe the NHL will allow us to take it in turn through the game? I did not even ask Sergei, of course. It is clear that a person is older than me. For a long time playing in the NHL. In general, the goalkeeper with two "Veziny". I have zero chances!

"And what did you do?"
- I took the nine, folding seven and two. I remember, somehow in the national team performed under this number. And in general I love how he looks. I'm not that superstitious. I take numbers that I like.

The interview can be found here: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/995689

I used google translate.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Okay....so he did a mini-Jeff Carter. That's okay. He can be forgiven for feeling that way. I don't think that is a slight on Columbus or the Blue Jackets at all. This is all just part of the growth process of the team.

He knows he has two years left on his contract, then he will be UFA.

Winning cures all things. Go out and win and this will all be fine.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
So... Panarin gave his first interview last night since the trade and let's just say it's ... interesting.

Some highlights of it:

- What was your first reaction to the news about the exchange in Columbus?

"Not a very pleasant reaction. I understand that nothing terrible has happened. And I think that everything is for the best. But it turned out so unexpectedly that I fell into a light confusion. I do not know how to call this state. However, a lot of thoughts began to circulate in my head. How to move there? What to do? How? Why?

It took a day, and the next morning I realized that there was no problem. This can happen to every NHL player. But understand, there were no rumors! I did not have time to prepare mentally. Would perceive the news without problems. And then there are women, a bolt from the blue."

"I repeat that the transition to Columbus - not a problem at all. After the exchange in "Columbus" for me, these esemaski (??) collapsed in a heap. And I closed for two weeks from everyone. I do not like all this excitement."

It's not like an exchange from St. Petersburg to Nizhnekamsk, is it?" Columbus is a neat campus.
- I did not go much there. But I played in a small Chekhov, so you will not surprise me with small towns. Normal to this attitude. Hence, the concentration on hockey will be higher.

And what is important, in the NHL there is no such that one team is weaker than the other. Approximately the same clubs, the standard of living in the city. So there is no problem. On the contrary, I want to train even more. Such moments harden and give impetus to development."

- Under your number 72 in "Columbus" stands Sergei Bobrovsky. Did not they offer him a coin toss?
- Or maybe the NHL will allow us to take it in turn through the game? I did not even ask Sergei, of course. It is clear that a person is older than me. For a long time playing in the NHL. In general, the goalkeeper with two "Veziny". I have zero chances!

"And what did you do?"
- I took the nine, folding seven and two. I remember, somehow in the national team performed under this number. And in general I love how he looks. I'm not that superstitious. I take numbers that I like.

The interview can be found here: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/995689

I used google translate.

So without any idea this was a possibility he had an "oh crap" moment then moved on? He should be forgiven. He even followed it up with ""I repeat that the transition to Columbus - not a problem at all."

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Okay....so he did a mini-Jeff Carter. .

I wouldn't use those words. He explicitly states there's no problem going to Columbus and that it's a nice place. Having an immediate negative reaction to being traded out of the blue is entirely appropriate and normal. Imagine how you would feel if your boss called you and said "I'm transferring you to St. Louis". You have friends and colleagues, your wife does too. It's not a nice thing to do someone.

The interviewer was maybe making some assumptions about Columbus. In Russia if you are not in Moscow or St. Petersburg you are in a backwards place, whereas in the U.S. even medium sized cities are a bit cosmopolitan with a high standard of living. I wouldn't call Columbus cosmopolitan, but you can still have friends from all over the world there.

I thought the Nizhnekamsk reference was hilarious. Look up Nizhnekamsk for fun. :laugh:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I thought the Nizhnekamsk reference was hilarious. Look up Nizhnekamsk for fun. :laugh:

Btw i didn't know Alisa was living with him in Chicago all that time. Poor thing, she thinks she's gonna struggle with social life in Cbus. :D

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, nothing to see here. He could have lied and said he wasn't upset or surprised, but he didn't.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Anyone would be upset at first. Going to your beach house and getting the alcohol IV is another thing. I still hope Anderson knocks the rest of his front row out.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What he said is exactly what I would expect someone in his situation to say. He's never been traded (as far as I know), he wasn't warned he was going to be traded, and he is from another country. Everything he said was perfectly fine.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
What he said is exactly what I would expect someone in his situation to say. He's never been traded (as far as I know), he wasn't warned he was going to be traded, and he is from another country. Everything he said was perfectly fine.

Well, we can't talk about Duchene anymore so we need something to make a mountain out of.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not a surprise that his first reaction was negative.

He was an 23 year old undrafted player who signed a deal to play in Chicago. He played with Patrick Kane-a top 5 forward. He played in an arena which has an atmosphere that is electric. He had the wealth to live high in the most prestigious area of a big time town. He came to Chicago with reasonable expectations of winning multiple Stanley Cups. He expected to play out his contract in Chicago and then resign there or with a team of his choosing.

And then one day he gets traded to Columbus. He probably had to check a map to see where it was. The reality is that most players don't have Jack Johnson's reaction to getting traded to the Jackets. Until the team experiences some post season success, I'd imagine that the initial reaction of most top players getting traded to Columbus will not be overwhelmingly happy. And that is quite understandable.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The guy doesn't speak any English really and he's in a country where he plays in these cities but doesn't know them well or most of the other players due to a language barrier. The way the guys are in the lockerroom from what I can see he won't feel out of place long. Bob is the perfect guy to be in the lockerroom with him too because he was in an extremely similar situation and he seems similar in that they are both more quite to themself guys. You always here guys talk about how quite Bob is then he will pop in with a joke and crack everyone up then go back to doing Bob things. I have 0 doubt he will be a perfect piece for us

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not worried in the least bit, nearly every player that has played here, loves the area so much , they keep their home here , or plan on moving back once their career is over. So I have no doubt that Panarin will absolutely love it here . And he can be the focal piece on this team. Let's get this season started already.

Still think we complete a trade for Duchene in the next couple weeks

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Well, we can't talk about Duchene anymore so we need something to make a mountain out of.

Why not ? From interview yesterday , Duchene is making it known he has no interest in returning to avalanche for this upcoming season . Things should start heating up again with Duchene making his wishes now known in public . SimilaR to Nash and the cbj , years ago

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why not ? From interview yesterday , Duchene is making it known he has no interest in returning to avalanche for this upcoming season . Things should start heating up again with Duchene making his wishes now known in public . SimilaR to Nash and the cbj , years ago

We're already at that point. His agent made it clear that he needed to be traded like 6 months ago. Then Duchene all but went on strike in the final 20 games of the year.

I think the real crunch is going to come during camp. If he isn't traded by then it will be a lot more pressure on Sakic.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think I can empathize with players who get traded. Imagine you were hitting your stride in your career here, and suddenly your boss calls and says, "Hey, we're moving you to New York. TODAY! Grab what you can and report to work in our Manhattan office tomorrow. You can come back for your stuff later, when you get a break. Your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/kids can catch up with you in a few weeks.Thanks for your contribution to the Columbus office. Bye"

I've been moved very quickly and to some awesome places. It's still a massive shock and it still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad