Confirmed with Link: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 6th (17) to Columbus for Saad, Forsberg, 5th (18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Dubois plays center or he doesn't play for Columbus this year, IMO.

I'm not sure I agree. It all depends on whether Jarmo & Co believe he will gain more from playing wherever in the NHL vs playing C all year in Juniors. Personally I think he sticks unless he craps the bed in camp. He can also play 4C moving Sedlak up if necessary.

Those two as the bottom 2 C's and how to line up the RW's are the 2 big issues in training camp barring a trade. Other is who sticks as 6 & 7 D if Murray is not traded.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm not sure I agree. It all depends on whether Jarmo & Co believe he will gain more from playing wherever in the NHL vs playing C all year in Juniors. Personally I think he sticks unless he craps the bed in camp. He can also play 4C moving Sedlak up if necessary.

Those two as the bottom 2 C's and how to line up the RW's are the 2 big issues in training camp barring a trade. Other is who sticks as 6 & 7 D if Murray is not traded.

I just believe he should be playing C and no other position. They should trade him if they don't think he has a future as a #1 or #2 center. If they do, then that is the only position he should play. I know there are other ways to do things, but if I have a top center prospect, he isn't playing other positions.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I just believe he should be playing C and no other position. They should trade him if they don't think he has a future as a #1 or #2 center. If they do, then that is the only position he should play. I know there are other ways to do things, but if I have a top center prospect, he isn't playing other positions.

I understand your perspective and I think it probably comes to fruition. Maybe he starts as 4C and moves up as he proves it? Best thing is he comes out of camp as a 2C and Dubi goes to 3C. I don't see that but it could happen over the next two seasons.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Both Joey and Wennberg broke into the league playing at wing at first. I'm not too concerned about positional starts so long as the transition occurs smoothly.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Both Joey and Wennberg broke into the league playing at wing at first. I'm not too concerned about positional starts so long as the transition occurs smoothly.

I wouldn't have done that with them either. They also didn't play great at first. IMO, you never move a player off of a premium position, until you have to. C to LW/RW in hockey. SP to RP or SS to 2B/3B in baseball. You always let them develop at the premium position.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I wouldn't have done that with them either. They also didn't play great at first. IMO, you never move a player off of a premium position, until you have to. C to LW/RW in hockey. SP to RP or SS to 2B/3B in baseball. You always let them develop at the premium position.

You develop forwards at C in development leagues. Once you get to the pros it is pretty much standard protocol to start out on the wing. The last thing you want to do is give the player to much responsibility and ruin their confidants. Unless the player is exceptionally good, has a mature game, etc.

This isn't baseball..

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
You develop forwards at C in development leagues. Once you get to the pros it is pretty much standard protocol to start out on the wing. The last thing you want to do is give the player to much responsibility and ruin their confidants. Unless the player is exceptionally good, has a mature game, etc.

This isn't baseball..

Agree to disagree. How is playing center on the 3rd/4th line too much responsibility?. Like I said, there are other ways to do it, but I am not playing my top center prospects at another position, until they prove they can't play center. Also, Dubois is still developing. Look at how much more Wennberg has developed, since he was moved to center. IMO, teams aren't helping centers by playing them at LW/RW to start their career. They may not look as out of place, but they are slowing down their development.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Agree to disagree. How is playing center on the 3rd/4th line too much responsibility. Like I said, there are other ways to do it, but I am not playing my top center prospects at another position, until they prove they can't play center. Also, Dubois is still developing. Look at how much more Wennberg has developed, since he was moved to center. IMO, teams aren't helping centers by playing them at LW/RW to start their career. They may not look as out of place, but they are slowing down their development.
Part of the development process is catching up to the speed of the game. There's so many small things a center has to be proficient at that is best to make sure he's got those down and the confidence to make things happen at the NHL level. And then add responsibility from there. But it could all be a moot point if he comes in and dominates.
I don't remember if it was Jarmo or JD but they made it seem like he's gonna play both this season and go from there.

Ultimately it comes down to PLD and Torts.

Last edited:

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
So when are we going to get some words from Panarin? Some phone call interview with Rimmer or Shelley? Carter took like a week to get something out of? Am i asking for too much from the newest Jacket? Maybe its been done and I missd it?

-Fan

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
So when are we going to get some words from Panarin? Some phone call interview with Rimmer or Shelley? Carter took like a week to get something out of? Am i asking for too much from the newest Jacket? Maybe its been done and I missd it?

-Fan

I imagine not for another couple of weeks. Seems to be out exploring the outdoors life in Russia quite a bit this summer. Plus, from what I understand he doesn't know or speak much English.

I mean, he had absolutely no English background until 22 months ago. He had to rely on Viktor Tikhonov to translate his media interviews in 2015-2016. Hired a personal translator to help as well.

It would be cool to get some kind of message from Artemi Panarin, but I'm not worried. As long as he attends mandated team events in the community, works hard/competes, and finds the back of the net, I'm fine.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

-Fan
I think this helps.

While Panarin had a number in mind that Milstein believed was undervaluing his abilities, Panarin was adamant about wanting to stay in Chicago and play for a team he believes can win the Stanley Cup.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
No, this doesn't help.

His agent has already come out and said he's looking forward to the new challenge. Dispatch reported he's coming to visit next month. I don't see any reason to panic.
I'm not panicking. I think we shouldn't expect "I'm so ****ing happy to join CBJ" from him right now, give him some time. Besides when he signed with Hawks two years ago it didn't go with "inspirational" interview or insta post or anything.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This is a non - issue. CBJ has as much a chance to win the cup as Chicago and the opportunity to do it for a while. Some are too paranoid.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This is a non - issue. CBJ has as much a chance to win the cup as Chicago and the opportunity to do it for a while. Some are too paranoid.

This. Pretty sure CBJ won more PO games that the hawks this year. :)

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio

This.

He's on vacation and dose not owe the fans or media anything right now. He's already been in contact with the team and even picked out a new number (9). If he was pissed I would think his number would be the last thing on his mind.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

While I would agree, I think that chance to win the Cup is heavily tied to chances to make the playoffs.

I expect the Jackets to make the playoffs, but their chances of doing so are less than Chicago's due to the fact that the Metro is so competitive.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
While I would agree, I think that chance to win the Cup is heavily tied to chances to make the playoffs.

I expect the Jackets to make the playoffs, but their chances of doing so are less than Chicago's due to the fact that the Metro is so competitive.

Chicago's division isn't exactly a walk in the park

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We'll agree to disagree.

Yes a team that hasn't made it past the first round of the playoffs with one SC winning player and no elite center has the same chance as the Hawks.

Sure...

That isn't dumping on our team, it's just being realistic.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Yes a team that hasn't made it past the first round of the playoffs with one SC winning player and no elite center has the same chance as the Hawks.

Sure...

That isn't dumping on our team, it's just being realistic.

Yes, they do. Last word...

Once again you show your wonderful communication skills. You're a peach. I mean that in the most sincere way possible.

Have a nice day.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yes, they do. Last word...

Once again you show your wonderful communication skills. You're a peach. I mean that in the most sincere way possible.

Have a nice day.

This seems to be sarcasm and I really am having a hard time finding why that would be the case. Must have been the "sure".

At least I offered up reasoning, the extent of the debate from your position was nothing. I always appreciate such intellectually stimulating debates.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad