Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't want to make a main board thread about this, so I'll stick to my safe space of HFSens. Another post made me think about this MTL/EDM trade rumour from the Subban trade.

Now that Draisaitl is signed for a similar cap hit to Subban, is the rumoured Subban+9th overall 2016 for Draisaitl+4th overall 2016 a trade that with the benefit of hindsight would have made both sides better?

MTL would probably take Puljujarvi who'd be a non-factor, but they'd have their big franchise 1C in his prime in Draisatil, and while they would probably not have Drouin, Puljujarvi would give them a big trade chip to work with in acquiring some help else where, although Yzerman isn't likely to accept him for Drouin since TBL specifically wanted help on their backend. They probably keep Markov with no Weber.

EDM loses Draisaitl's magical playoff run from last year, but do they become more stable with a franchise RD in Subban? EDM was strongly rumoured to be prepared to take a D in the top 5 prior to Puljujarvi falling to 4. With Juolevi off the board, is this a guarantee that EDM would take Sergachev at 9? Does EDM hold on to Eberle due to Draisaitl's offensive output not being available to them? All of a sudden, EDM is in a position where they have Klefbom, Larsson, Subban, and Sergachev (ELC) on D at the expense of not having Draisaitl up front. They also possibly keep Eberle over Strome.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Derek grant finally scored his first NHL goal this year and now has 5. Nice story. Always liked him.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
How is it possible that Vegas has a better record then us at this point of the season, its crazy!!! Vegas are in 1st place in the Pacific with 27pts and we are in 5th place in the Atlantic with 22pts.

Reactions: BurnabyJayce

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How is it possible that Vegas has a better record then us at this point of the season, its crazy!!! Vegas are in 1st place in the Pacific with 27pts and we are in 5th place in the Atlantic with 22pts.
How is it possible that they continue to get better goaltending than us while on their 4th Goalie on the depth chart...

Ok, that's not really fair, they no longer get better goaltending than us with Legace, but the first 3 guys all have significantly higher sv% than our team average. We have a slightly better record (8-6-6) than they have with Legace (5-5-1) in nets and a far worse one when anybody else is in nets (8-1-0)

Reactions: aragorn

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
How is it possible that they continue to get better goaltending than us while on their 4th Goalie on the depth chart...

Ok, that's not really fair, they no longer get better goaltending than us with Legace, but the first 3 guys all have significantly higher sv% than our team average. We have a slightly better record (8-6-6) than they have with Legace (5-5-1) in nets and a far worse one when anybody else is in nets (8-1-0)
Screenshot-2017-11-23 2017-18 NHL Hockey Stats and League.png
You have a very good point there, right now we are in the bottom third of the league. Just imagine how many more pts in the standings we would have if we had top third goaltending.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
View attachment 84675You have a very good point there, right now we are in the bottom third of the league. Just imagine how many more pts in the standings we would have if we had top third goaltending.
I took a look and estimated average goaltending (.911 sv%) would have prevented about 8 goals against, which probably wins us an extra game or two. Lets say that converts two shootout losses to wins, and all the sudden were 10th in the league in pts%.

Lets say we had above average goaltending; a sv% of .920 would save us 16 goals. How many more wins do we have with 16 fewer goals? You could convert the Mtl game into a shutout and still have enough goals to spread around and win a couple extra games. Lets say that nets us 5 more pts in the standings, all the sudden we're on pace for 110 pts and tied for 4th in pts %.

Part of our goalies numbers is likely the play in front of him, but certainly not all of it. An average sv% should be attainable, and would make a huge difference.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Vegas is a hardworking team. They never give up. Their effort level is the reason why they are where they are. Plus the fact that it seems like a ton of their players are having breakout seasons. Fun team to watch. Especially now with the Sens going through a very bad rough patch.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I took a look and estimated average goaltending (.911 sv%) would have prevented about 8 goals against, which probably wins us an extra game or two. Lets say that converts two shootout losses to wins, and all the sudden were 10th in the league in pts%.

Lets say we had above average goaltending; a sv% of .920 would save us 16 goals. How many more wins do we have with 16 fewer goals? You could convert the Mtl game into a shutout and still have enough goals to spread around and win a couple extra games. Lets say that nets us 5 more pts in the standings, all the sudden we're on pace for 110 pts and tied for 4th in pts %.

Part of our goalies numbers is likely the play in front of him, but certainly not all of it. An average sv% should be attainable, and would make a huge difference.
Screenshot-2017-11-23 2016-17 NHL Hockey.png

wow very interesting indeed, goaltending is still the name of the game, last season is the perfect example for us we finished 8th!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've taken lots of flack over the yrs for saying that Ottawa can't win with Anderson in net, he's just too inconsistent & prone to brain fart plays. Too bad Ottawa didn't go after Schneider, he would be a very good consistent goalie for Ottawa.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Vegas is a hardworking team. They never give up. Their effort level is the reason why they are where they are. Plus the fact that it seems like a ton of their players are having breakout seasons. Fun team to watch. Especially now with the Sens going through a very bad rough patch.

Exactly.

This isn't the 1980s, where talented guys could float around and still be 100% better than most guys on the ice. The gap between the best guys in the league, and the worst, is the smallest it's ever been. Hard work, attitude, and a bit of luck are often the deciding factors between wins and losses these days.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, hard work was certainly part of it, the .932 sv% prior to Legace becoming the starting goalie also has something to do with it. Now that they have been getting a .873 sv%, they are 5-5-1. Pretty impresive record given the terrible goaltending they are (understandably) getting

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've taken lots of flack over the yrs for saying that Ottawa can't win with Anderson in net, he's just too inconsistent & prone to brain fart plays. Too bad Ottawa didn't go after Schneider, he would be a very good consistent goalie for Ottawa.

Goalies that are hot and cold are probably better than consistently ok when it comes to winning the cup with a budget team. A hot streak at the right time is better than consistently good if your always the underdog. Obviously ideally you get a consistently elite goalie, not sure which shelf in walmart they keep those on though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Goalies that are hot and cold are probably better than consistently ok when it comes to winning the cup with a budget team. A hot streak at the right time is better than consistently good if your always the underdog. Obviously ideally you get a consistently elite goalie, not sure which shelf in walmart they keep those on though.

Don't you find it interesting that the two times that this team went on an amazing run to make the playoffs came when the backup goalie (Hammond & Condon) were the ones who actually made those runs. While Anderson miraculously returned for the playoffs & did alright, he wasn't the goalie that got us in the playoffs to begin with. I have no idea what that means, but I imagine it means something, in that, has he ever got us into the playoffs himself?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Don't you find it interesting that the two times that this team went on an amazing run to make the playoffs came when the backup goalie (Hammond & Condon) were the ones who actually made those runs. While Anderson miraculously returned for the playoffs & did alright, he wasn't the goalie that got us in the playoffs to begin with. I have no idea what that means, but I imagine it means something, in that, has he ever got us into the playoffs himself?

I'm just going to point out that Anderson is literally a top 3 goalie of all time in terms of playoff SVP. I do agree it would have been nice to grab Schneider, in retrospect, but it might not have been possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad