Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Don't you find it interesting that the two times that this team went on an amazing run to make the playoffs came when the backup goalie (Hammond & Condon) were the ones who actually made those runs. While Anderson miraculously returned for the playoffs & did alright, he wasn't the goalie that got us in the playoffs to begin with. I have no idea what that means, but I imagine it means something, in that, has he ever got us into the playoffs himself?
Good point. f***ing andy

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Meh, still would take Anderson over many goalies in the league right now. All teams and goalies go through slumps. It's a part of hockey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't you find it interesting that the two times that this team went on an amazing run to make the playoffs came when the backup goalie (Hammond & Condon) were the ones who actually made those runs. While Anderson miraculously returned for the playoffs & did alright, he wasn't the goalie that got us in the playoffs to begin with. I have no idea what that means, but I imagine it means something, in that, has he ever got us into the playoffs himself?

Wait, are you crediting Condon's 19-14-6 record (a 92 pts pace that would have us miss the playoffs) and not Anderson's 25-11-4 record (a 110 pts pace) for leading us to the playoffs last year?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Another funny note...

Last night on Montreal sports radio, a person calling proposed the following :

Carey Price + Brendan Gallagher

For

Leon Draisaitl + Milan Lucic + 2nd round pick

The animator said a categoric no and the caller thought it was realistic...

Am I right or wrong to think that it explains why people are so upset with trades with expectations like that?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
From what I hear, Price and Gallagher aren't the issues with Montreal. I mean, yeah, Price had a bad start to the season but he's a top 3 goalie in the league if not the undisputed best when he's in great form. Gallagher has been good for them, whereas Pacioretty and Drouin have struggled. If I'm a Habs fan I would want anyone traded but Price and Gallagher. Getting a #1C in Draisaitl would be great but if you give up Price, then all of a sudden goaltending becomes the issue and not offense.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
he's a top 3 goalie in the league if not the undisputed best.
Price to me is overrated, he has never done anything in the playoffs, the only thing he has ever won is olympic gold and to be honest you could have put any goaltender in net for team canada and they still would have won the gold.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Price to me is overrated, he has never done anything in the playoffs, the only thing he has ever won is olympic gold and to be honest you could have put any goaltender in net for team canada and they still would have won the gold.

He's definitely overrated, but he's a top goalie in this league as much as want to deny it. Montreal definitely overpaid him with his extension, lets just hope we don't say this about Karlsson in a few years if he doesn't get back to the way he was.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With reference to the Hammond year, are we talking about the same Craig Anderson who had a .972 save percentage and allowed only 4 goals in 4 games to carry the Senators to almost tieing the series in game 6 where we lost 1-0?

Anderson was bad at points during last year's playoff run, but it was revealed later on that he was fighting a back injury. At the time, during the Rangers series I thought we should have put Condon in, but with the benefit of hindsight I was wrong since Anderson ended up stepping up and closing out the series for us.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
With reference to the Hammond year, are we talking about the same Craig Anderson who had a .972 save percentage and allowed only 4 goals in 4 games to carry the Senators to almost tieing the series in game 6 where we lost 1-0?

Anderson was bad at points during last year's playoff run, but it was revealed later on that he was fighting a back injury. At the time, during the Rangers series I thought we should have put Condon in, but with the benefit of hindsight I was wrong since Anderson ended up stepping up and closing out the series for us.

Anderson is a top 5 playoff SVP goalie of all time. Thomas, Rask and Anderson are the only three goalies of all-time with over 45 GP, an SVP over .925, and a winning record.

Personally, I have no worries about this team performing in the playoffs. I just don't know if we will get there. Trying to play a style that matches a playoff structure & intensity every night might not be the best way to actually make it to the playoffs. The intention is to make things automatic but I worry that guys are just starting to go through the motions instead. There's a big difference.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Henrique, Blandisi, 3rd for Vatanen, Conditional 3rd

Ray Shero is the man. Wanted him so bad as the Sens GM.

Using huge hindsight and assumptions here.. but wouldn't it have been nice if we could have swung Turris for Vatanen and Ceci for RNH (we could use the other assets given in the Duchene trade)?

I think the biggest mistake with the Duchene trade was thinking he could fit in seamlessly. He has looked fantastic as an individual but lost within the system. Remember how long it took for our skill players to adjust last year?

EDIT, ps:

9170ejj4c5101.jpg

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There is minimal context when looking at those deals. NJD had cap space and salary space which is the most valuable thing they had to give up for Palmeri and Johansson. Being a rebuilding team its possible to do that

Also Zibby out with a concussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad