Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Does anybody else think that Nashville got screwed in the expansion draft for 1998 compared to LV? It took 15 years to build a butt kicking team versus LV seems to be competitive from Day 1. It probably won't hold up, but I am surprised how fast LV has been out of the gate.
The difference is two things. One, the league was bringing in 4 teams in 3 years, so the expansion drafts had to be more friendly to the established teams, and second the expansion fee for the Preds was, iirc, 80 million, whereas for LV it was 500 million, and for that kind of money an owner should expect to get more than just scraps

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
See I didn't mind Hunt, I didn't think he looked that bad the couple of times he got to play, the dude just had zero luck because they took his goals away lol.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
so it looks as if the 2019 Winter Classic will be between the Bruins and... wait for it...

wait for it...

you guessed it, it's the Blackhawks. Official announcement coming later this month.

oh and Getzlaf could be out up to 2 months.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
so it looks as if the 2019 Winter Classic will be between the Bruins and... wait for it...

wait for it...

you guessed it, it's the Blackhawks. Official announcement coming later this month.

oh and Getzlaf could be out up to 2 months.

That's fine because I can't watch the Outdoor games due to the horrible camera work. I get motion sick from the cable cam they use. I hope the Preds never get one.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
That's fine because I can't watch the Outdoor games due to the horrible camera work. I get motion sick from the cable cam they use. I hope the Preds never get one.

I don't really care that much if we ever get one either, but it continues to be ridiculous how they keep using the same teams over and over.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Still want a Preds-Jackets outdoor game, myself.
If it's in Columbus, sure.
Just don't have any desire to have one here in Nashville. The ASG I wanted, the Draft was fun...just no interest in an outdoor game in an area that has very little chance for snow during the game.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Can someone please explain the appeal of an outdoor game? If you are there in person you 1) Freeze your butt off, 2) Can't see the game without binoculars, and 3) Pay a rate of at least 3x the rate of a normal game for a worse product. If you are watching on tv, the camera angles they use are terribad as well.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Can someone please explain the appeal of an outdoor game? If you are there in person you 1) Freeze your butt off, 2) Can't see the game without binoculars, and 3) Pay a rate of at least 3x the rate of a normal game for a worse product. If you are watching on tv, the camera angles they use are terribad as well.

I went to the Badgers game at Camp Randall Stadium for the novelty and I can confirm it's terrible. The bowl at Camp Randall is structured in a way that it would be impossible to see anything from the first 5-10 rows so nobody was there and the novelty wasn't nearly enough to draw people out. I think there were around 55,000 for a stadium that seats 80,000. Of course it was against Michigan who we didn't have a rivalry with in hockey at the time and still don't really.

The only nice thing about having the Preds in an outdoor game would be being able to watch it on TV instead of the computer but if I can't see what's going on in the game, it's not really worth it to have it on TV.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Watching Tampa last night, it's hard not seeing them make the finals barring injury. A Tampa v Preds final would be glorious, although a little frightening.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Watching Tampa last night, it's hard not seeing them make the finals barring injury. A Tampa v Preds final would be glorious, although a little frightening.

They look amazing right now and have a very good squad on paper, but I'd hold off on anointing them the Eastern Conference champs. Columbus won 16 in a row and looked like a juggernaut, Minnesota did as well last season at times. The Caps have been far and away the best team in the league multiple times, yet they haven't sniffed the Finals yet. They're the favorites right now though, no doubt about it.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
They look amazing right now and have a very good squad on paper, but I'd hold off on anointing them the Eastern Conference champs. Columbus won 16 in a row and looked like a juggernaut, Minnesota did as well last season at times. The Caps have been far and away the best team in the league multiple times, yet they haven't sniffed the Finals yet. They're the favorites right now though, no doubt about it.

Yep- that is what I keep saying over and over. Even Montreal was something like 13-1-1 last year around this time. It is so easy to overreact to stuff that happens in the first month or so, but it is a LONG, LONG season.

Last year even as late as January all of the teams you listed above looked so much better than the Preds that it wasn't even funny. And we all know how that turned out.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I was coming to update.

Stamkos and Kucherov are insane.

Yes yes they are.

2nd game of B2B back-up tender. If you have a strong team then you can still dominate a pretty good team under any circumstance.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah but can Stamkos stay healthy for a full year and the playoffs is the bigger question.

Thats sure a concern. The one thing that could help that this year is he is not the only threat with 4 players at a point per game now and 4 more with 12 or more points makes it difficult to give full attention to Stamkos and Kuch and just a part of why they have 29 and 30 points in 17 games. The 2nd line has 29 points in 17 as many as many 1st lines in the league. The scoring has to drop off soon though 4 goals a game is just not sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad