Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Derek Grant finally scored his first (and second) goals in the NHL. If I recall correctly, in his short stint with us last year he had a goal waved off. Not only was that the second time he had had a goal waved off, but it meant we were unable to tie a game against Vancouver.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Derek Grant finally scored his first (and second) goals in the NHL. If I recall correctly, in his short stint with us last year he had a goal waved off. Not only was that the second time he had had a goal waved off, but it meant we were unable to tie a game against Vancouver.

you remember correctly(at least about the one goal waved off against Van) and Im glad he finally got to keep one.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Feeling really bad for Shea right now... Montreal looks like a true dumpster fire

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
had a goal waved off recently cause it was offside too. I think he has had more non-goals than goals at this point.

thought he was pretty solid for the short time he was with us.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
yeah me too Andy... well sorta.. I admit I lost most of my 'loyalty' to weber over the signing of the intent with Philly but I still pull for him to succeed.

I dont want to get off on a tangent, but I didn't hold the signing against him because to me it was pretty clear he wasn't so much wanting to leave Nashville but rather he(and/or his agent) were determined to get him the absolute max amount of money they could, and with nobody knowing for sure what Nashvilles budget really was, nor what the new CBA was going to allow, the only way to know what the market would pay for a restricted free agent was to seek out and sign an offer sheet.

If we aren't going to fault Poile for using the CBA to the clubs advantage (playing him less than 40 games his first year, choosing team requested arbitration the previous year, and subsequently denying his request for a no trade clause) then we really can't blame Shea for using the CBA to his own advantage.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I dont want to get off on a tangent, but I didn't hold the signing against him because to me it was pretty clear he wasn't so much wanting to leave Nashville but rather he(and/or his agent) were determined to get him the absolute max amount of money they could, and with nobody knowing for sure what Nashvilles budget really was, nor what the new CBA was going to allow, the only way to know what the market would pay for a restricted free agent was to seek out and sign an offer sheet.

If we aren't going to fault Poile for using the CBA to the clubs advantage (playing him less than 40 games his first year, choosing team requested arbitration the previous year, and subsequently denying his request for a no trade clause) then we really can't blame Shea for using the CBA to his own advantage.
He had to know it was possible/likely we would match, but I really don't believe a player signs an offer sheet like that with the intent of sticking with his original team. Had Shea been fully determined to stay with us at all costs he would have taken the particulars of the offer sheet to Poile and given him the opportunity to offer the same contract.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He had to know it was possible/likely we would match, but I really don't believe a player signs an offer sheet like that with the intent of sticking with his original team. Had Shea been fully determined to stay with us at all costs he would have taken the particulars of the offer sheet to Poile and given him the opportunity to offer the same contract.

As stated, Shea was fully determined to get the most money. Taking the offer sheet terms to Poile wouldn't have made a difference. It was literally the same effect either way, except with the OS Poile knew Weber would get that money elsewhere and set a time frame for Poile to decide.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
As stated, Shea was fully determined to get the most money. Taking the offer sheet terms to Poile wouldn't have made a difference. It was literally the same effect either way, except with the OS Poile knew Weber would get that money elsewhere and set a time frame for Poile to decide.
If those were his priorities then I find it hard to sympathize with his current situation. His fat front-loaded contract can mend his hurt feelings over playing for a garbage team. Funny enough, had Poile got the contract structure he wanted (more evenly spread out actual money), it would have been a lot harder to trade him.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If those were his priorities then I find it hard to sympathize with his current situation. His fat front-loaded contract can mend his hurt feelings over playing for a garbage team. Funny enough, had Poile got the contract structure he wanted (more evenly spread out actual money), it would have been a lot harder to trade him.
I think it would have had zero effect on where he ended up. The cap hit was the biggest ? mark there. Would it have been harder to trade him to the Senators or Coyotes...Sure, but most teams wouldn’t care so long as the cap space was there.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Malcolm Subban injured, could be out for a few weeks. Now run a goalie tandem of Oscar Dansk and Maxime Lagace. Ouch.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Watching this Leafs-Kings game.. they've really let that slashing thing go. Both teams slashing, hacking and whacking without penalties. I hope they can at least somewhat keep it the way they intended it to.

In other news, both teams look really good. Leafs' offense is scary good and the Kings are playing more modern, fast hockey and defending well, too. Think they're gonna be in the mix for the playoffs as well.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
So we have Crosby/McDavid tonight and NBC is surely showing that game tonight, right?????????? Nope- they are showing that must see Sabres/Red Wings matchup.

Doesn't matter to me as I have Center Ice, but come on, how dumb is that?????????

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So we have Crosby/McDavid tonight and NBC is surely showing that game tonight, right?????????? Nope- they are showing that must see Sabres/Red Wings matchup.

Doesn't matter to me as I have Center Ice, but come on, how dumb is that?????????
I don't want to watch Crosby or McDavid.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
vegas beats st louis then Chicago. 7-1 with 14 points in 8 games. it's time to take them serious.
I am on record in a previous post that there is ZERO chance VGK makes playoffs and I am sticking to it.

Now, I will fully admit that what they are doing right now is nothing short of incredible. They completely dominated the Blackhawks last night. And they have lost their top 2 goaltenders to boot. It is absolutely crazy.

But I still maintain that this is not going to last- and they will not come close to making the playoffs. But I admit they are making me a little less confident about that prediction.

One thing I was thinking about is how it must be hard for an Arizona fan to watch what Vegas is doing. Coyotes been around forever and had high hopes this season for a big improvement. And 1 month in they are 0-8-1 and a freaking expansion team is sitting at 7-1. Ouch.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I just don't see how they keep it up. Neal is going to get traded eventually. There is no way they risk him walking away for nothing.
Who is to say they don't re-sign him. If they are sitting in playoff contention come February, do you really think they will just tank? Making the playoffs as an expansion team would go a long ways towards building the hockey fanbase there in Vegas, especially with the Raiders coming in soon.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Who is to say they don't re-sign him. If they are sitting in playoff contention come February, do you really think they will just tank? Making the playoffs as an expansion team would go a long ways towards building the hockey fanbase there in Vegas, especially with the Raiders coming in soon.

It is a weird situation for sure, but my question is this- do they even WANT to win this much? I am not talking fans or players, but front office/ownership. If you are looking long term/big picture, you can make the argument that them sneaking into the playoffs, while a great story, would not be good for the franchise's long term plans.

I don't think they have to make the playoffs to build excitement with the fanbase- I think they have gone a long way towards accomplishing that already.

But again, I still stick with my thoughts above- all of this will soon be a moot point- they are not making the playoffs......

Here is a pretty good article on the "winning too much" theory:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-golden-knights-are-winning-too-much-for-their-own-good

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Emotion does take you only so far in hockey. But it does take you more than you think.

Getting to the playoffs, only to get swept out in the first round by Anaheim or Edmonton, might be a great feel-good story for the team, but yes, long term it might not be a great idea.

My opinion is, ride it while it's hot.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I am on record in a previous post that there is ZERO chance VGK makes playoffs and I am sticking to it.

Now, I will fully admit that what they are doing right now is nothing short of incredible. They completely dominated the Blackhawks last night. And they have lost their top 2 goaltenders to boot. It is absolutely crazy.

But I still maintain that this is not going to last- and they will not come close to making the playoffs. But I admit they are making me a little less confident about that prediction.

One thing I was thinking about is how it must be hard for an Arizona fan to watch what Vegas is doing. Coyotes been around forever and had high hopes this season for a big improvement. And 1 month in they are 0-8-1 and a freaking expansion team is sitting at 7-1. Ouch.

Does anybody else think that Nashville got screwed in the expansion draft for 1998 compared to LV? It took 15 years to build a butt kicking team versus LV seems to be competitive from Day 1. It probably won't hold up, but I am surprised how fast LV has been out of the gate.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Does anybody else think that Nashville got screwed in the expansion draft for 1998 compared to LV? It took 15 years to build a butt kicking team versus LV seems to be competitive from Day 1. It probably won't hold up, but I am surprised how fast LV has been out of the gate.
Jackets and Wild fans would like to tell y'all to cry us a river. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad