NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Funny but Chiarelli getting ripped for trading the 16 (and 33rd) pick for a bust and not taking Barzal (or Connor)

Not just a Boston thing

You keep bringing up the Griffin Reinhart deal, but who cares what Chiarelli did in that regard? It doesn’t lessen the sting of Boston not drafting Barzal, given how well he’s played this season.

Reactions: Bun cook

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You keep bringing up the Griffin Reinhart deal, but who cares what Chiarelli did in that regard? It doesn’t lessen the sting of Boston not drafting Barzal, given how well he’s played this season.

The point I believe is people miss at the draft at times. Also, JDB looks pretty darn good IMO. I'm not ready to the book on Senny either, who's going to be be the best of the three.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The point I believe is people miss at the draft at times. Also, JDB looks pretty darn good IMO. I'm not ready to the book on Senny either, who's going to be be the best of the three.

I get that, but Barzal, among others, was considered to be a sure thing at that point in the draft, and Boston passed on him and took a chance on Debrusk and Senyshyn. (Zboril was a logical pick, and I think that he'll turn out to be a good second-pairing or third-pairing defenseman.) I agree that Debrusk looks very good and think that he'll become a regular 25-goal winger. Senyshyn is the wildcard at this point.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I get that, but Barzal, among others, was considered to be a sure thing at that point in the draft, and Boston passed on him and took a chance on Debrusk and Senyshyn. (Zboril was a logical pick, and I think that he'll turn out to be a good second-pairing or third-pairing defenseman.) I agree that Debrusk looks very good and think that he'll become a regular 25-goal winger. Senyshyn is the wildcard at this point.

sure thing? Don`t think so with respect, McDavid the only sure thing in that draft, I like Eichel, not as much as others and never thought he was a sure thing and in all honesty, not impressed with his start to career thus far. More than a few teams passed on the "sure thing" Barzal, the kid has talent, lots goes into how a team determines who they`ll pick, some go strictly for BPA, others pick for need which may not necessarily be the BPA but the BPA at that position which forces them to bypass a kid like Barzal.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
sure thing? Don`t think so with respect, McDavid the only sure thing in that draft, I like Eichel, not as much as others and never thought he was a sure thing and in all honesty, not impressed with his start to career thus far. More than a few teams passed on the "sure thing" Barzal, the kid has talent, lots goes into how a team determines who they`ll pick, some go strictly for BPA, others pick for need which may not necessarily be the BPA but the BPA at that position which forces them to bypass a kid like Barzal.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear: what I meant by "sure thing" is that he was considered to be someone who was certain to be drafted in the first-half of the first round, not that he was a sure thing to become an excellent NHL player. One of the reasons that Boston may have passed on Barzal was that the team wanted to draft wingers with scoring potential, but the counterargument is why not draft Barzal, anyway, and bank him as a future trade chip to acquire that scoring winger?

Reactions: Bun cook

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Ottawa Senators to ask for all no-trade lists - Sportsnet.ca

The Ottawa Senators have 10 players with no-trade clauses in their contracts and plan to ask each to provide a list of teams they would not be dealt to, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

Among those players is Senators captain Erik Karlsson, but don’t read into that just yet.

“I was told that does not mean 100 per cent that Erik Karlsson is getting traded. It just opens the option,” Friedman said during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Ottawa Senators to ask for all no-trade lists - Sportsnet.ca

The Ottawa Senators have 10 players with no-trade clauses in their contracts and plan to ask each to provide a list of teams they would not be dealt to, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

Among those players is Senators captain Erik Karlsson, but don’t read into that just yet.

“I was told that does not mean 100 per cent that Erik Karlsson is getting traded. It just opens the option,” Friedman said during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday.
:popcorn:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I wonder what it would take to get Karlsson? His contract is up after next season and he has already said he wants top dollar on his next contract. I am assuming, if he stays healthy, that would mean $10-12 million per. It's hard to believe Ottawa would give up its franchise player for anything short of a massive return. By the same token, I cannot see too many teams giving away a massive amount of talent for what would amount to a rental of a season and change. It's good to see Ottawa stinking things up. One less team for the Bs to worry about.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack Todd: Decision time for Geoff Molson — if he wants the Canadiens to excel

When Price is right, the Canadiens are a pretty good hockey club. When he isn’t, they aren’t. Simple. Price is the best player the Canadiens have and he plays the most important position. So when he decides that it would be really nifty to pass the puck to the opposition along the boards beside the net, his team pays the price.

The result, after a couple of games last week when Price was so-so and one in which he looked like Red Light Racicot, is that the Canadiens have given back most of the ground they gained during that brief hot streak led by Price himself.

That playoff spot is now a mirage fading in the distance. The Bruins are only two points up, but they hold four games in hand and after the Canadiens play Thursday at home against the New Jersey Devils, it’s seven straight road games before they return Jan. 2 to meet the San Jose Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning.

That annual holiday road trip, as most fans know by now, is where bad teams go to die. They come limping back in January looking dazed and battered and almost ready to start booking tee times in April.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The more I watch Chicago I see a team that is not going to make the playoffs.

Hawks announcer Pat Foley - Jonathan Towes is being outhustled by Zac Rinaldo :help:

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Leafs again getting outstanding goaltending, this time by their backup. Lucky as heck too, Oilers have hit 4 goalposts tonight. At some point you would think that things would even out and a lot of these Leaf wins would turn into losses.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Leafs again getting outstanding goaltending, this time by their backup. Lucky as heck too, Oilers have hit 4 goalposts tonight. At some point you would think that things would even out and a lot of these Leaf wins would turn into losses.

Lots of missed chances by Edmonton in that game. They missed the net on plenty of good opportunities. Toronto was fortunate that Edmonton are trying to find their identity

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Hawks announcer Pat Foley - Jonathan Towes is being outhustled by Zac Rinaldo :help:
That's pretty bad. :laugh:

But of course Chicago ended up winning tonight.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

If Hawks make playoffs this year it will be on back of the most neglected/ignored member of core

Corey Crawford

He and the kids are only thing keeping this team from bottoming out

Debrincat + Forsling are stars in making and Schmaltz flashes his potential but is still struggling to put it all together. Ryan Hartman has been a disaster this season though and has taken major step backs which is very disappointing as expectations were high for him especially starting year out playing with Kane (A spot he quickly played himself out of)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
If Hawks make playoffs this year it will be on back of the most neglected/ignored member of core

Corey Crawford

He and the kids are only thing keeping this team from bottoming out

Debrincat + Forsling are stars in making and Schmaltz flashes his potential but is still struggling to put it all together. Ryan Hartman has been a disaster this season though and has taken major step backs which is very disappointing as expectations were high for him especially starting year out playing with Kane (A spot he quickly played himself out of)

Jan Rutta is an interesting addition. Semi veteran D man from Czech Republic, who has been bouncing between Czech 1st and 2nd league and is now playing well in his first NHL season at age of 27.

Gintonicplz

Jul 23, 2017
Czech republic
Jan Rutta is an interesting addition. Semi veteran D man from Czech Republic, who has been bouncing between Czech 1st and 2nd league and is now playing well in his first NHL season at age of 27.

He proved himself back in Czech national team. I am much more interested in another Czech D in Hawks lineup - Michal Kempný. I havent catched many Hawks games this year though, so I would love to hear some feedback on his play from you. I remember that I genuinely hated that guy back in Czech national team - slow, a lot of turnovers and tons of bad plays in his own zone, he was especially skilled in taking stupid penalties. Thus, I have been very skeptical about Hawks decision to acquire him. How is he dealing with much higher pace in NHL?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What makes you think he'll be the best of the three?

6-3 right wing with blazing speed and no fear to crash the net. His tools and goal scoring ability to me are the rarest thing to find, add in that he's a right handed shot. He's a rare commodity.

Size
Lethal speed
Sniper

I think he needs to learn the game better, and I wouldn't even care if he spent next year in Providence either but I think we have a rare commodity on our hands.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
6-3 right wing with blazing speed and no fear to crash the net. His tools and goal scoring ability to me are the rarest thing to find, add in that he's a right handed shot. He's a rare commodity.

Size
Lethal speed
Sniper

I think he needs to learn the game better, and I wouldn't even care if he spent next year in Providence either but I think we have a rare commodity on our hands.

Have you gotten to see him play? I know all those things, I just don't see enough from him in game to think he can be more than a 20/20 guy in the NHL and that's if he makes it. I'm reallllllly hoping he can put it all together and become a baby of lucic and seguin and cement himself in the top 6 with 30/30+ but I'm skeptical. I too give him all year and next though, still very young

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Size
Lethal speed
Sniper

They have no reason to rush this kid. They have plenty of options on the wing now and moving forward.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear: what I meant by "sure thing" is that he was considered to be someone who was certain to be drafted in the first-half of the first round, not that he was a sure thing to become an excellent NHL player. One of the reasons that Boston may have passed on Barzal was that the team wanted to draft wingers with scoring potential, but the counterargument is why not draft Barzal, anyway, and bank him as a future trade chip to acquire that scoring winger?

Because trades are hard? :laugh:

I’m only half joking, but in all seriousness, I highly doubt teams go into a draft looking for players they can eventually move to other teams to fill needs? They draft kids they like, that they think can be successful.

For whatever reason, the B’s liked other players more than Barzal at those spots (14/15). Time will tell, but it looks like they were wrong.

It happens. If it happens too many times, the scouts (and GM) will be looking for a new job. That doesn’t appear to be an issue for the B’s overall.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Have you gotten to see him play? I know all those things, I just don't see enough from him in game to think he can be more than a 20/20 guy in the NHL and that's if he makes it. I'm reallllllly hoping he can put it all together and become a baby of lucic and seguin and cement himself in the top 6 with 30/30+ but I'm skeptical. I too give him all year and next though, still very young

Not much. I see a hopefully "rougher" Eberle. I would say 25 guy with the possibility of 30 I would think, but I know he needs to learn the game more.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He proved himself back in Czech national team. I am much more interested in another Czech D in Hawks lineup - Michal Kempný. I havent catched many Hawks games this year though, so I would love to hear some feedback on his play from you. I remember that I genuinely hated that guy back in Czech national team - slow, a lot of turnovers and tons of bad plays in his own zone, he was especially skilled in taking stupid penalties. Thus, I have been very skeptical about Hawks decision to acquire him. How is he dealing with much higher pace in NHL?

I have't seen him play all too much to be honest, head over to Hawks board for a more detailed answer. I was watching Chicago game the other day and he scored so i checked him out, his story and numbers. He's supposed to be versatile, can play both sides.

Blackhawks defenseman Jan Rutta has 'all the things we’re looking for'

Jan Rutta’s versatility gives Blackhawks more options on defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad