NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Another good night, both the Sens and Leafs losing. Living here in Ottawa you have no idea how much I am enjoying this Sens losing streak.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
As of tonight, the Bruins have at least two games in hand on every team in the league. Five on the Leafs. Crazy. Guess they'll make some of that up in the next week or so now that the schedule is picking up.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
As of tonight, the Bruins have at least two games in hand on every team in the league. Five on the Leafs. Crazy. Guess they'll make some of that up in the next week or so now that the schedule is picking up.

That is crazy. 5 Bs games in the next 7 nights will take care of some of that. Feels like we lose some of our games-in-hand advantage when we have to pack them in so tightly.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I get that, but Barzal, among others, was considered to be a sure thing at that point in the draft, and Boston passed on him and took a chance on Debrusk and Senyshyn. (Zboril was a logical pick, and I think that he'll turn out to be a good second-pairing or third-pairing defenseman.) I agree that Debrusk looks very good and think that he'll become a regular 25-goal winger. Senyshyn is the wildcard at this point.
there's no need for hyperbole. Barzal was not considered a "sure thing" by anyone. Nobody is really a sure thing, especially in the middle of the first round. There were definitely questions about his lack of size & physicality and ability to stay healthy.

Barzal was definitely projected by the majority of scouting services as one of the best 1 or 2 players left in that 13-15 range, but there's no need to get it twisted and claim that anyone was calling him a "sure thing".

as for Debrusk vs Barzal it should be noted that for whatever scouts had to say about them, in their draft years they had comparable points per game numbers in the same league with Debrusk having 42 goals and Barzal getting the vast majority of his points from assists. Ideally they'd have picked both, but if you're just comparing those two players, Debrusk was in no way a reach.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm looking for any reason to feel especially hopeful about him, I'm gonna try to go to a game soon and I'll be watching him and JFK more than anyone else
something I keep having to remind myself about Senyshyn is that he's essentially a year younger than Debrusk in terms of development. He's like 6 months younger and 1 year behind Debrusk in his hockey career. Their ages made them draft eligible at the same time, but Senyshyn was on the younger side of his draft class and had only 1 full season on the OHL at that point compared to Debrusk's 2 years.

Given that it shouldn't really be a concern that Senyshyn is a year behind Debrusk in transitioning to the pros. It's also totally valid to compare Senyshyn's numbers this year in the AHL to Debrusk's last year in the AHL. Senyshyn is basically right on schedule if you go by Debrusk's development curve (which is still not totally fair given that players develop at different rates, but you get the point)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Reilly Smith is just a fantastic hockey player. I know he's loathed around these parts but he does everything.

Did you see that bomb pass to Smith from Chiller last night? Thing of beauty.
we've spoken before about how Reilly Smith got an unfair rep from fans here. Good player. There was never any real reason for the hate he got either. Just typical HF whipping boy group think.

We're really lucky to have hit on guys like Heinen & Debrusk to make up for losing him, but it still stings a little that we essentially got rid of him for nothing of value.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
we've spoken before about how Reilly Smith got an unfair rep from fans here. Good player. There was never any real reason for the hate he got either. Just typical HF whipping boy group think.

We're really lucky to have hit on guys like Heinen & Debrusk to make up for losing him, but it still stings a little that we essentially got rid of him for nothing of value.

horrible trade on Smith, what a joke of a return. Too bad he was a casualty of Seguin trade hysteria. Looks to be having a good career post Boston.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Well he did have an awful 2nd half in his last year here. I recall him on the PP in Ottawa where he coughed up the puck to Pageau right in front of the Boston net and never saw the ice the rest of the game, was a healthy scratch the game after that.

I thought the Bruins sold low on a player who had just turned 24 at the time and the year prior had a good 20 goal, 50 pt. season.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well he did have an awful 2nd half in his last year here. I recall him on the PP in Ottawa where he coughed up the puck to Pageau right in front of the Boston net and never saw the ice the rest of the game, was a healthy scratch the game after that.

I thought the Bruins sold low on a player who had just turned 24 at the time and the year prior had a good 20 goal, 50 pt. season.

he takes so much crap for that season when they were all horrible (him included)

Marchand had freakin 42 points that year..Bergeron led the team with 55.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
he takes so much crap for that season when they were all horrible (him included)

Marchand had freakin 42 points that year..Bergeron led the team with 55.

That years team was painful to watch in all aspects. Looking back, it should of been the end of Julien right then and there.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad