NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Reilly Smith was a slippery skilled guy who I don't think fit the CJ / Chia mold they were trying to build to. Who knows what was going on (if anything) off the ice to instigate that trade, but it was unfortunate at the time. Given his current deal he would be seen as grossly overpaid by the B's. I think he's do better on this team under Cassidy than CJ given the more flowing style in the O zone and a longer leash but we'd probably be saying "another overpaid vet holding up Heinen and the yutes...".

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Well he did have an awful 2nd half in his last year here. I recall him on the PP in Ottawa where he coughed up the puck to Pageau right in front of the Boston net and never saw the ice the rest of the game, was a healthy scratch the game after that.

I thought the Bruins sold low on a player who had just turned 24 at the time and the year prior had a good 20 goal, 50 pt. season.
it's funny because the same people (not you per se) who would rip Chiarelli for trading Seguin after one disappointing half-season were the same people who would pile on Reilly Smith for being a trash player after one disappointing half-season.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Holy crap. Nilsson gets scored on to make it 6-1. Breaks his stick over the goal and throws the shaft on top of the glass. Gets scored on again a minute later to make it 7-1. Canucks throw a high hit that levels Emelin. PK goes nuts on the Canuck and jumps him and gets tossed. Somehow the Preds end up with a PP. Hell of an entertaining game.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
old friend PK Subban has scored 2 of the flukiest goals ever (including one from center ice) against old friends the Nucks
The fact that his goal from center ice was not even on goal and deflected in off Nilsson's mitt made it even more hilarious. The Canucks are a mess.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And of course Subban had to celebrate that goal, as if it was the result of significant effort on his part :laugh:

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
And Emelin got nailed by Virtanen. To top off the wild night a Canucks fan won a car during the intermission.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
there's no need for hyperbole. Barzal was not considered a "sure thing" by anyone. Nobody is really a sure thing, especially in the middle of the first round. There were definitely questions about his lack of size & physicality and ability to stay healthy.

Barzal was definitely projected by the majority of scouting services as one of the best 1 or 2 players left in that 13-15 range, but there's no need to get it twisted and claim that anyone was calling him a "sure thing".

as for Debrusk vs Barzal it should be noted that for whatever scouts had to say about them, in their draft years they had comparable points per game numbers in the same league with Debrusk having 42 goals and Barzal getting the vast majority of his points from assists. Ideally they'd have picked both, but if you're just comparing those two players, Debrusk was in no way a reach.

I clarified this in another post, but what I meant by "sure thing" was that Barzal was sure to be selected around where the Bruins were picking (13-15) in the first round of the draft. So, no hyperbole; rather, just a poor choice of words on my part.

Debrusk was a bit of a reach because he was projects to be picked later in the first round.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
we've spoken before about how Reilly Smith got an unfair rep from fans here. Good player. There was never any real reason for the hate he got either. Just typical HF whipping boy group think.

We're really lucky to have hit on guys like Heinen & Debrusk to make up for losing him, but it still stings a little that we essentially got rid of him for nothing of value.

Florida also got rid of him for nothing. Smith has always been a good one year/bad one year kind of player. Dollars to donuts, he'll have a poor year next season that will leave Vegas fans wondering what happened to the guy from the year before. One of the most inconsistent guys from year to year I can remember in recent memory.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nobody deserves getting drilled into the sideboards more than ol' Plate Face. Shades of Belanger ramming Ulfie into the Meineke Muffler logo, if not quite as satisfying.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Leafs got shut out, so that's good.

Preds whupping the oilers 4-0 after two. Now Maroon is being an idiot, go figure.

Turris scored again. Preds did good on that trade, at least as far as immediate results go.

I don't like watching those orange oilers jerseys against predators gold. Gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->