Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There is no way to quantify pride. There is no metric for how pissed off and wanting to show up a former team can motivate someone, or how a players friends will try harder to one-up their friends former team.

And there is nothing to measure the Panthers giving away 2/3rds of a first line for free.

It's the curse of guaranteed contracts. Everyone plays just hard enough to keep the HC off their back, and mediocrity abounds. Only when pride factors in do these guys give a full effort before April. It's quite a damning account for the players when a .500 to slightly better roster on paper takes 2nd in the conference. We're well past the days when a bunch of good ole Canadian farm boys played their hearts out for the love of the game. Sad but true, but at least I'm beyond that now and I save money from not watching the regular season anymore.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
When I'm angry about the lack of capital Murray left us with.... I look at what Bergevin has done in Montreal, and it gives me comfort.

The Subban and Sergachev trades are franchise destroyers that all of Murray's failures pale in comparison to.

And that's not even counting the small trade fails (Pateryn for Jordie Benn, two 2nds for Andrew Shaw, etc)

When the Price contract doesn't even make the list, you know he's in the running for worst GM in a generation. Worst since Milbury imo.

It's a shame -- BUF/MTL are two great hockey cities.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Milbury is in a league of his own.
Garth Snow is in that league, and Ed Johnson (AKA: The Man Who Ruined My Childhood) was a million times worse than either. Don't believe me? Did the Islanders move to Alabama and I missed it?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Milbury runs away with the title and beats down anybody chasing him with their own shoe.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Garth Snow is in that league, and Ed Johnson (AKA: The Man Who Ruined My Childhood) was a million times worse than either. Don't believe me? Did the Islanders move to Alabama and I missed it?

Garth Snow isn't even on the same planet as Milbury.... and I think Garth Snow has done a very poor job.

Ed Johnson?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Garth Snow isn't even on the same planet as Milbury.... and I think Garth Snow has done a very poor job.

Ed Johnson?
The man who murdered my Whalers. To quote Ray Ferraro "Ed told us he was going to build a cup winning team, he just didn't tell us it would be the Penguins".
As for Mad Mike and Garth: the main difference is Mike started with nothing and ended up building nothing. Garth basically was handed a franchise level player among other assets and failed miserably to build around him. If said franchise player walks this off-season he absolutely leapfroggs Mad Mike in the all time horrible executive list.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The man who murdered my Whalers. To quote Ray Ferraro "Ed told us he was going to build a cup winning team, he just didn't tell us it would be the Penguins".
As for Mad Mike and Garth: the main difference is Mike started with nothing and ended up building nothing. Garth basically was handed a franchise level player among other assets and failed miserably to build around him. If said franchise player walks this off-season he absolutely leapfroggs Mad Mike in the all time horrible executive list.

right, Eddie JohnsTon.... largely referring to sending Francis and Ulf to Pit.... and as I recall it, there was a directive from Ownership to trade Ron Francis.... just saying... he was going to be a free agent. And Ulf was threatening to go back and play in Sweden....

Go Whale!

Snow could lose Tavares, and remain in his job for another decade with no playoff appearances.... and still wouldn't reach Milbury level.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrebuild

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Milbury once had arbitration with Tommy Salo, a quality young goalie at the time.

He proceeded to destroy the kid to his face to save a few hundred thousand bucks, maybe, for a year.

The King, Mike Milbury.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Milbury once had arbitration with Tommy Salo, a quality young goalie at the time.

He proceeded to destroy the kid to his face to save a few hundred thousand bucks, maybe, for a year.

The King, Mike Milbury.

Milbury probably has 3 of the worst trades in NHL history and 2 of the worst contracts in NHL history.

If there were a top 20 of dumbest GM decisions in history.... Milbury lands at least 5 of those spots...

When you own 25% of the dumbest things ever done by an NHL GM, and have no accomplishments to speak of... you are untouchable. lol

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Milbury probably has 3 of the worst trades in NHL history and 2 of the worst contracts in NHL history.

If there were a top 20 of dumbest GM decisions in history.... Milbury lands at least 5 of those spots...

When you own 25% of the dumbest things ever done by an NHL GM, and have no accomplishments to speak of... you are untouchable. lol
Another candidate for the Milbury List: Peter Chiarelli. His top 3 awful trades: Tyler Seguin for Loui Ericcson, Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson and Matt Barzal and Anthony Beauvilier for Griffin Reinhart. Also managing a team with a player who has a very good chance to end up the greatest ever into being a dumpster fire.
And speaking of stupid goalie tricks: last year Garth exiled Jaro to the AHL which left the team with Greiss and JF Berube, who in no way belonged in the NHL. The result is that Greiss was worked to death because even Doug Weight wasn't crazy enough to start Berube in a game. Naturally Greisse's play nosedive from overuse. The team ended up missing the playoffs... by a single point.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Those are great examples of GM’s (and there are others) who are at the top of the list of “the worst GM in sports history”

Which is why I and others pay no attention to the “Murray was by far the worst GM everrrrrrr!!!” opinions.

Murray had his warts for sure. But the hyperbole and mad rantings doesn’t magically make him the worst everrrr. :biglaugh:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Another candidate for the Milbury List: Peter Chiarelli. His top 3 awful trades: Tyler Seguin for Loui Ericcson, Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson and Matt Barzal and Anthony Beauvilier for Griffin Reinhart. Also managing a team with a player who has a very good chance to end up the greatest ever into being a dumpster fire.
And speaking of stupid goalie tricks: last year Garth exiled Jaro to the AHL which left the team with Greiss and JF Berube, who in no way belonged in the NHL. The result is that Greiss was worked to death because even Doug Weight wasn't crazy enough to start Berube in a game. Naturally Greisse's play nosedive from overuse. The team ended up missing the playoffs... by a single point.

Chiarelli is like a half-milbury. He’s got a cup and a lot of good moves prior to losing his mind.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Those are great examples of GM’s (and there are others) who are at the top of the list of “the worst GM in sports history”

Which is why I and others pay no attention to the “Murray was by far the worst GM everrrrrrr!!!” opinions.

Murray had his warts for sure. But the hyperbole and mad rantings doesn’t magically make him the worst everrrr. :biglaugh:

Murray would’ve had to trade Eichel/the pick for garbage to even get in the conversation

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

If you look at things objectively Murray's most colossal yet underrated blunder was ending the tank after Eichel. If he kept it going we easily finish dead last again and as it developed we end up with Matthews. Then we'd have been in business.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If you look at things objectively Murray's most colossal yet underrated blunder was ending the tank after Eichel. If he kept it going we easily finish dead last again and as it developed we end up with Matthews. Then we'd have been in business.

If nothing else that stops him from doing the Kane deal.

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Murray would’ve had to trade Eichel/the pick for garbage to even get in the conversation

Or trade for someone of Eichel’s value, and then trade that player for next to nothing after say one year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad