Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Haven't seen this in here but Kane got his first career hatty last night and his first 4 goal game. I can't recall a guy I have rooted for this much that has left the team.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Haven't seen this in here but Kane got his first career hatty last night and his first 4 goal game. I can't recall a guy I have rooted for this much that has left the team.

I'm happy for him as well. For a variety of reasons it was probably best he part ways with the Sabres. But I'm excited to see if he can do some damage in the playoffs

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Would only make sense if the 8th year is really important to Tavares. Otherwise he can just go wherever without depleting his new team of assets.

Agreed. If Tavares moves, he's moving for two reasons:

1. Closer to home (super unlikely, cue every Toronto "he's coming home" rumor).
2. Trying to win.

If he's moving to try to win, he's doing so as a free agent, not a sign and trade. If he's interested in money, he just stays in NY and takes the 8th year. If he's moving to win, just like Hasek, he's got no reason to deplete the team he's going to of talent.

Fingers crossed that his uncle and Okposo are telling him how awesome Buffalo and the Pegula's are, and what a bright future the team has. I won't hold my breath.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Agreed. If Tavares moves, he's moving for two reasons:

1. Closer to home (super unlikely, cue every Toronto "he's coming home" rumor).
2. Trying to win.

If he's moving to try to win, he's doing so as a free agent, not a sign and trade. If he's interested in money, he just stays in NY and takes the 8th year. If he's moving to win, just like Hasek, he's got no reason to deplete the team he's going to of talent.

Fingers crossed that his uncle and Okposo are telling him how awesome Buffalo and the Pegula's are, and what a bright future the team has. I won't hold my breath.

I think the only thing that sells Tavares on Buffalo is knowing he won’t be expected to carry the offense alone.

Eichel would be his equal in expectation and targeting by opposing teams.

If I’m tavares I would want a team with a more established defense.

But if we were lucky enough that he had a fever dream and signed with Buffalo, he makes their top 9 nasty.

Rodriguez Eichel Okposo
Girgs Tavares Baptiste
Wilson O’Reilly Reinhart

Or

Girgs Tavares Eichel
Reinhart O’Reilly Okposo
Bailey Rodriguez Baptiste

Or

Tavares Eichel Okposo
Bailey O’Reilly Fasching
Girgs Reinhart Baptiste

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This team needs an aging star center who will cost $10M per for 7 years like Terry Pegula needs his Social Security check.

Since January 1st Tavares has 21 points, Sam Reinhart has 31 points and Ryan O'Reilly has 28. Halfway through his next contract he'll be a 5o point and slow player. I hope Toronto signs him, it will be a mistake - but if it means a Stanley Cup for them then it's worth the cost. We aren't near where the Leafs are yet.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
In context, yes. They aquired McGinn to drop Demers contract. In the real world, not really because their moves were odd.

Of course it matters in the real world as well. They got clearly cheaper contract with less term. It's obvious that all of their move were monetary driven, so that move makes perfect sense in that sense.

And it's not like it doesn't have anything to do with the hockey side of things - the difference between the term of those contract is double (2 years).

To say that it's comparable to just signing McGinn is as smart as saying that Columbus trading Horton to Clarkson was comparable to them just signing Clarkson.

Last edited:
Reactions: SundherDome

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
HNiC 2nd game intermission round table talked about how the Flames basically need to go 8-2 down the stretch to have a hope at making the playoffs. They threw everything at the Knights in the first and then find themselves down 4-0 at the end of two.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This team needs an aging star center who will cost $10M per for 7 years like Terry Pegula needs his Social Security check.

Since January 1st Tavares has 21 points, Sam Reinhart has 31 points and Ryan O'Reilly has 28. Halfway through his next contract he'll be a 5o point and slow player. I hope Toronto signs him, it will be a mistake - but if it means a Stanley Cup for them then it's worth the cost. We aren't near where the Leafs are yet.

This post is like woah.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
WPG - DAL on right now. Great game so far

Winnipeg is unbelievable and their power play is a treat to watch. Can't wait for the playoffs this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad