Around the NHL (Part XIII): RIP Bob Suter

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Why is $6 ridiculous? It's only for two years and they have plenty of cap space. As much as i've said he hasn't earned a big contract yet, the guy still might turn out to be a great player. Why wouldn't an organization with the cap space to do it, give him a $6 mil, 2 year bridge deal?

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Why is $6 ridiculous? It's only for two years and they have plenty of cap space. As much as i've said he hasn't earned a big contract yet, the guy still might turn out to be a great player. Why wouldn't an organization with the cap space to do it, give him a $6 mil, 2 year bridge deal?

Because that's where the negotiations start next time. It's not a good floor to set.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bobrovsky got 5.625M coming off a Vezina/1st Allstar team year and had a 10M per offer from KHL

Johansen is coming off a 63 pt season , No awards/honors and no KHL deal

He is worth 375K more then the best player on team Bobrovsky?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
give him 4.5-5 mil for two years. Call it a day and walk away happy.... if he performs.
Coulda put up great numbers this year because it was a contract year. All comes down to work ethic I guess.

In other news, I can't stop watching Crawford highlights on youtube right now. Is it Monday yet? I need training camp like I need air.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

CBJ may have the cap room to pay him $6 but I was not aware they were a team willing to spend to the cap. Are they?

I guess RyJo's agent is going all-in on the notion that ROR is his comp.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
CBJ may have the cap room to pay him $6 but I was not aware they were a team willing to spend to the cap. Are they?

I guess RyJo's agent is going all-in on the notion that ROR is his comp.

Last season they had $728K in cap space and ended with a $450k bonus overage, so yes.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

You'll wish he didn't get 6 when the Saad bridge gets negotiated. Kane and a Toews got 6.3M on 5 year deals. Johansen wants 6+ on a bridge deal. Absurd.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
They lowball him for sure... I'd ask for the moon too and would come back down to earth if the Jackets would do the same

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
You'll wish he didn't get 6 when the Saad bridge gets negotiated. Kane and a Toews got 6.3M on 5 year deals. Johansen wants 6+ on a bridge deal. Absurd.

I don't understand why people bring up Kane and Toews. The contracts they signed five years ago have nothing to do with Johansen. In 2009, when they signed, the salary cap was $56.7 million. It's currently $69 million. Bringing up their contracts in this context is ridiculous.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Except it's not really because they're both franchise players and everyone knew it at the time they signed. This kid is not! Just because the cap went up doesn't mean he should be getting $6MM per already.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I don't understand why people bring up Kane and Toews. The contracts they signed five years ago have nothing to do with Johansen. In 2009, when they signed, the salary cap was $56.7 million. It's currently $69 million. Bringing up their contracts in this context is ridiculous.

Sure the cap has gone up but Johansen isn't as good as either Toews or Kane. After their ELC's, those guys had much better track records than Johansen currently does.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Except it's not really because they're both franchise players and everyone knew it at the time they signed. This kid is not! Just because the cap went up doesn't mean he should be getting $6MM per already.

Whether or not he deserves $6m is a separate issue than whether Kane and Toews contracts from 5 years ago set a ceiling on what players should be getting today. They really don't and it's ridiculous people think they do.

Relative to the cap today, Toews/Kane's contracts would be closer to $7.7 million.

Sure the cap has gone up but Johansen isn't as good as either Toews or Kane. After their ELC's, those guys had much better track records than Johansen currently does.

So? Whatever Johansen is actually worth, Toews/Kane's contracts don't have anything to do with it.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
People are too fixated on dollars when we can so easily just weight everything.

Kane and Toews each got 11% of the cap. He's not worth close to that. 8% is $5.52MM. That seems more then generous.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't blame Johansen at all for asking for what he is asking for. Also don't blame CLB for asking for what they are asking for.

RyJo and the players should be requesting all the money they can get after the owners locked them out a couple years ago. Make them pay for it now, just like Toews and Kane. He's going to be a great young player for years to come. Those long term offers are a joke. He should do a bridge deal, but 3mil is too low too. 4mil would make more sense. They keep comparing it to Duchenes deal a few years ago, which was 3.5mil, but the cap will be a little higher than it was at that time.

If I were him, I would sign a 1 year deal, for 3mil, have an amazing season, and then have arbitration rights and screw them over on a 2 year deal, and then leave as a UFA.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
People are too fixated on dollars when we can so easily just weight everything.

Kane and Toews each got 11% of the cap. He's not worth close to that. 8% is $5.52MM. That seems more then generous.

6 mil of today's cap is like 8.7%...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Amazes me that organizations are willing to possibly ruin relationships with top end players they need, over 1mil or 2 $. I'm confident that RyJo would accept 4 or 4.5mil on a 2yr bridge deal.

CLB is doing themselves no favours with this negotiation. They have needed a #1C since their existence, and now they are pissing it away.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Amazes me that organizations are willing to possibly ruin relationships with top end players they need, over 1mil or 2 $. I'm confident that RyJo would accept 4 or 4.5mil on a 2yr bridge deal.

CLB is doing themselves no favours with this negotiation. They have needed a #1C since their existence, and now they are pissing it away.

They're reporting that RyJo wants six million per on a two year bridge. The kid wants to have his cake and eat it too.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They should just sign him to a long term deal now. No matter what he signs for, it will be a steal eventually.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
However you cut it, Johansen hasn't done enough in the NHL to get a $6 million per year deal. I'd offer him a tick above $4 million tops.

Yeah, I agree with you. If it's a bridge deal even $4m is a bit high - however, he's their #1C so they need him and i'd pay that anyway.

Stepan's bridge deal is for $3.075. His numbers last year were a bit less than Johansen - although he's more proven and quite consistent. Johansen probably *deserves* about $3.5m - but if I was the Blue Jackets i'd give him $4m just to get it done.

They're reporting that RyJo wants six million per on a two year bridge. The kid wants to have his cake and eat it too.

$6m on a bridge deal is ridiculous.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What makes you so sure? The kid obviously wants to get rich immediately.

It's more fair, probably wants his money but would meet in the middle, which is why his offer is so high. Players do that all the time when going into arbitration. Aim high, get something in the middle of your offer and theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad