Around the NHL (Part XIII): RIP Bob Suter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The 6 and 8 year deals would be highway robbery for the Jackets, are you kidding? Look at how high the cap is getting. Johansen will easily get 8 million on his third contract, either from CBJ or someone else.

A bridge deal in the realm of 5.5-6 million makes sense and is something he earned. Fans need to adjust their expectations to where the league is today, not where it was a few years ago.

Highway robbery if the Ryjo from last year continues to be the guy who shows up, not the one who was disappointing before last season.

We're looking from afar. But you hear some thing from CBJ fans like him being benched in the AHL playoffs over his attitude, and it just shows you you need to be careful with this guy.

I think there 6 year deal is fair for both sides. It has the potential to be a steal for Columbus. But it also could be 30 million thrown in the trash if he reverts back to pre-last season. Not every young player's development is on a constant upward slope....you can't just assume he's past his issues and he will only get better.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Highway robbery if the Ryjo from last year continues to be the guy who shows up, not the one who was disappointing before last season.

We're looking from afar. But you hear some thing from CBJ fans like him being benched in the AHL playoffs over his attitude, and it just shows you you need to be careful with this guy.

I think there 6 year deal is fair for both sides. It has the potential to be a steal for Columbus. But it also could be 30 million thrown in the trash if he reverts back to pre-last season. Not every young player's development is on a constant upward slope....you can't just assume he's past his issues and he will only get better.

Not really. It comes out to aav of $5.3 million. If he were to play well then he's left a lot of money on the table.

The bridge contract is what makes the most sense - but it sounds like they can't agree on a number.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well he has no real options here so he either signs or tries to find a KHL team

This isn't Kane/Toews we are talking about at this point so his demands for UFA $$$ as RFA aren't going to fly

Davidson is not type of executive I see backing down ,, He is type that will call bluff and move on with or without the kid

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Not really. It comes out to aav of $5.3 million. If he were to play well then he's left a lot of money on the table.

The bridge contract is what makes the most sense - but it sounds like they can't agree on a number.

It's all how you look at it:

Year 1: 3.1 mil
Year 2: 3.1 mil
Year 3: 5.3 mil
Year 4: 5.3 mil
Year 5: 7.5 mil
Year 6: 7.5 mil

If you paid him like above, which is probably what he will be worth in each year...it comes out to 5.3 AAV. So where are you thinking he is getting screwed? These are RFA years...or at least most are. He's not getting UFA money coming out of his ELC. When the contract ends he would be an UFA and could clean up.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It's all how you look at it:

Year 1: 3.1 mil
Year 2: 3.1 mil
Year 3: 5.3 mil
Year 4: 5.3 mil
Year 5: 7.5 mil
Year 6: 7.5 mil

If you paid him like above, which is probably what he will be worth in each year...it comes out to 5.3 AAV. So where are you thinking he is getting screwed? These are RFA years...or at least most are. He's not getting UFA money coming out of his ELC. When the contract ends he would be an UFA and could clean up.

That amount isn't that generous - it's less than players like Eberle, Skinner, and Landeskog are getting. Like I said, he probably looks at the money guys like that are getting and figures if he plays well he'd be worth more.

Well he has no real options here so he either signs or tries to find a KHL team

This isn't Kane/Toews we are talking about at this point so his demands for UFA $$$ as RFA aren't going to fly

Davidson is not type of executive I see backing down ,, He is type that will call bluff and move on with or without the kid

What on earth do Toews and Kane - who signed those contracts in 2009 - have to do with anything? Is that what you think? That 2nd contracts signed 5 years ago are somehow relevant?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
A six year deal would be buying out two UFA years. I'd go bridge deal around 3.5-3.75 for two years, but yea, the kid is definitely wanting to be paid like a premier player and isn't willing to back up that demand by signing a short term deal and proving he's worth it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That amount isn't that generous - it's less than players like Eberle, Skinner, and Landeskog are getting. Like I said, he probably looks at the money guys like that are getting and figures if he plays well he'd be worth more.?

Eberle 24 yrs old , NHL career so far
275 games with 96 goals + 125 assists for 221 pts

Landeskog is 21 yrs old , NHL career so far
199 games with 57 goals + 77 assists for 134 pts

Jeff Skinner is 22 yrs old , NHL career so far
259 games with 97 goals + 88 assists for 185 pts

Ryan Johansen is 22 yrs old , NHL career so far
189 games with 47 goals + 49 assists for 96 pts

One of these guys has proven less then rest ,, Who would that be? One of these guys was benched in AHL several times and had his work ethic questioned ,, Who would that be?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Eberle 24 yrs old , NHL career so far
275 games with 96 goals + 125 assists for 221 yds

Landeskog is 21 yrs old , NHL career so far
199 games with 57 goals + 77 assists for 134 pts

Jeff Skinner is 22 yrs old , NHL career so far
259 games with 97 goals + 88 assists for 185 pts

Ryan Johansen is 22 yrs old , NHL career so far
189 games with 47 goals + 49 assists for 96 pts

One of these guys has proven less then rest ,, Who would that be?

That's not how Johansen is going to look at things. I'm sure he'll think

2013-14
Eberle - 80 games, 28 goals, 37 assists for 65 points
Skinner - 71 games, 33 goals, 21 assists for 54 points
Landeskog - 81 games, 26 goals, 39 assists, for 56 points
Johansen - 82 games, 33 goals, 30 assists for 63 points

And if he guesses right and his numbers stay consistent with that, he'll do much better than a 6 year contract for 5.33 aav.

Why would he want to sign a long term contract on the basis of three years when the last year was markedly better than the previous two if he believes that's the year that reflects his ability and that he can replicate it (or better it).

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
Hard to compare the two. Ryjo has the higher upside, but is a far greater risk. I also would jump at signing Saad to that.

Which is exactly why he should be signing a bridge deal. He doesn't have the history to demand a massive contract, but he does have the potential to earn one in the future.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That's not how Johansen is going to look at things. I'm sure he'll think

2013-14
Eberle - 80 games, 28 goals, 37 assists for 65 points
Skinner - 71 games, 33 goals, 21 assists for 54 points
Landeskog - 81 games, 26 goals, 39 assists, for 56 points
Johansen - 82 games, 33 goals, 30 assists for 63 points

And if he guesses right and his numbers stay consistent with that, he'll do much better than a 6 year contract for 5.33 aav.

Why would he want to sign a long term contract on the basis of three years when the last year was markedly better than the previous two if he believes that's the year that reflects his ability and that he can replicate it (or better it).

Then he should sign a bridge deal. Which he doesn't want.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 1 h
MIN G Josh Harding's off-ice injury is significant, likely to be out months as opposed to weeks. On crutches/in a boot. Tough break.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm surprised "Cheechoo" isn't more commonly used verbiage on HF.

I'm also surprised that these two can't just agree to a bridge deal. 2 years at $6 mil or whatever. It's more than fair for both sides IMO. RyJo has proven nothing long term and has almost zero leverage.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Michael Arace @MichaelArace1 · 29m
Jackets decline to meet face-to-face with Johansen's agent, Kurt Overhardt. So, Joey and his agent flew out of Columbus today. What a mess.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Michael RussoVerified account
‏@Russostrib Bryzgalov tryout in works + re-sign Kuemper RT @Cberns44: @Russostrib What's the plan now that Harding is out for a while?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Michael Arace @MichaelArace1 · 29m
Jackets decline to meet face-to-face with Johansen's agent, Kurt Overhardt. So, Joey and his agent flew out of Columbus today. What a mess.

This is going to turn out like Turris. There is no way that relationship could be repaired.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I don't know about the rest of the offers, but the BlueJackets bridge deal if it's really just $3 million for 2 years is crap IMO.

Ondrej Palat got 3.3 million AAV this summer on his bridge deal with TB as a winger, with the same single year of big numbers (slightly less points than RyJo actually). And RyJo was Top 30 in faceoffs on the year. The only possible edge Palat has on him to explain him getting more is that Palat kills penalties.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I knew a Minny goalie was gonna get injured.
Didn't think it would happen before training camp even started.

The RyJo situation is just all sorts of weird. I hope they can figure something out or he goes somewhere else soon. He was awesome for my fantasy team last year.......... lol

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 4m
John Davidson on Prime Time Sports says Johansen request on two-year bridge is "twice as much" as CBJ offer ($3M per).

OK $6 is as ridiculous as $3.

So split the difference, sign him for 4.5 AAV x 2 (with the bigger money stacked on the back end), trade him at the deadline this year so you never have to pay the second more expensive year, and be done.

But I don't think 4.5 for a Top 30 faceoff center who had 60 points last year is that egregious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad