Around the NHL Discussion Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Moose deserves better. I really hope he finds success and stability. Such a great teammate, and a good goalie with a competent team in front of him.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Blackhawks GDT has 5 pages with less than 10 minutes to go in the third. On a Sunday night with a game against the Kings.

I guess that bandwagon is starting to lose a lot of people.

Reactions: Aggie204

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Central shaping up to be the strongest divison in hockey again. It's absurd that we could end up in third place tomorrow with a Preds win, and we have 36 points with less than a third of the season gone.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
ya well the flyers have themselves to blame for that mess. for the trade with schenn, then they thought elliott could be a legit #1 goalie.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Alex DeBrincat >>>>>>>>> Tage Thompson

That boy is tearing it up. 27GP 11+8=19

Alex DeBrincat

Both players are playing their first professional season, and Thompson has only played four games in the NHL. How can you possibly infer how their careers will play out. Thompson was always a project in the sense that he needed time to develop and grow into his frame. This is a conversation that shouldn't be had for at minimum three to four years, and likely more.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

Alex DeBrincat

I don't understand why people keep bringing up how good DeBrincat has been over any of our prospects. Chicago NEEDED him badly in their lineup and to produce. The Blues did not need Thompson, Kyrou, or Thomas this year. It would have been nice had they produced and were able to stay in, but it doesn't mean they'll be worse or a bust. I would be willing to lay down money that DeBrincat won't outplay Thomas or Kyrou in his NHL career. It also helps DeBrincat is playing with Chicago and has had time with Kane, Toews, and Keith.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
ya well the flyers have themselves to blame for that mess. for the trade with schenn, then they thought elliott could be a legit #1 goalie.

If they thought he was a legit #1, why did the give his back-up almost the exact same contract? :facepalm: He was signed as a stop-gap platoon until Carter Hart is ready. But yes, he has been playing poorly this season. Granted, both Flyer goalies are barely making more than Jake combined, and have a higher combined save percentage. But their goaltending situation is a mess. Good thing we have Hutts.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Alex DeBrincat

In 2010, the Blues traded a promising defenseman to grab Vladimir Tarasenko. Blues fans were curious if this RW sniper would be a good investment, as the Blues passed over several good players to pick this Russian who may never come over. 3 years later, it seems they had made a huge mistake. While trading the defenseman was no big deal, they could have taken Beau Bennett who went 4 picks later. While Tarasenko was still over in the KHL, Bennett was putting up 14 points in 26 games for the Penguins n the 2012-13 season. Now obviously we can end the story right here. based on those numbers we can obviously assume Bennett is now a superstar and Tarasenko never made much of himself. Cause at that point in time, Bennett had decent NHL numbers and Tarasenko hadn't made it over. Never mind they have to crack different depth charts, and Bennett was being fed by Crosby. Those don't matter, Bennett is a super....what? Bennett is in the minors for the Blues now, and Tarasenko is an elite goal-scorer? But...but...in 2012-13.....

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't understand why people keep bringing up how good DeBrincat has been over any of our prospects. Chicago NEEDED him badly in their lineup and to produce. The Blues did not need Thompson, Kyrou, or Thomas this year. It would have been nice had they produced and were able to stay in, but it doesn't mean they'll be worse or a bust. I would be willing to lay down money that DeBrincat won't outplay Thomas or Kyrou in his NHL career. It also helps DeBrincat is playing with Chicago and has had time with Kane, Toews, and Keith.
I think Thomas will be better, but I'm not so certain that Kyrou will be. Debrincat has shown that he can overcome the question marks that surrounded him (size issues). As skilled as Kyrou is, we don't know if he will overcome his at the NHL level (work ethic and play without the puck).

I am a big fan of Kyrou, but I can't label him as a sure-fire NHLer right now.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Sorry, I just don't see the big deal about Debrincat. Yeah he's putting up points, but, I just haven't seen anything from him that makes me say. "Damn that kids gonna be a beast"

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sorry, I just don't see the big deal about Debrincat. Yeah he's putting up points, but, I just haven't seen anything from him that makes me say. "Damn that kids gonna be a beast"
He's actually been quite impressive from the games I've watched him in. His shot is his main weapon, but his playmaking ability is underrated. Really good vision and is able to find seams to set up his teammates. He also hasn't been hindered by his small size, I'm surprised at how well he's doing in board battles. I could see him being a consistent 55-65 point player with some peak seasons near 70 points.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
What I don't understand is why we always have to make direct comparisons to other picks.

Now I know I've been critical of Thompson but if he rounds out into a nice player who uses that lethal shot, is good in front of the net and a PP monster, that plays on our roster as a contributing player. Add in that Kyrou could be a playmaking dynamo, who adds a speed and skill element we sorely lack, driving offensive play, meaning both eventually are big contributors to the team, why does it matter if their better or worse than Debrincat?

If they're a net positive and quality player, it was a fine pick.

It's not like their already 25 and molding into Rattie and Bennett.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Not to mention, when you get into the second round and beyond, it's pretty much a crap shoot. If you get a full time NHL player out of the second round or later, you've made a nice selection.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
What I don't understand is why we always have to make direct comparisons to other picks.
Being a sports fan is to be one that observes (often a lot), and a natural byproduct of those observations is order them (Is X better or worse than Y? Is Z above/below average?), and to wonder what might be/might have been if things were different.

A huge chunk of fan discussion revolves around these two tendencies. How would this team look if Shattenkirk had approved one of the trades for Drouin or Hall? Would this team with a Cup with Tavares? How does the Blues drafting stack up to the rest of the league? Is Pietrangelo a top 10 defenseman? Etc. Beyond sports, what parent hasn't compared their child's progression and accomplishments to those of other children at some point? What person hasn't wondered how their life might have been different if only one thing was changed?

These are the types of things that humans do when they observe, and they care.

Now I know I've been critical of Thompson but if he rounds out into a nice player who uses that lethal shot, is good in front of the net and a PP monster, that plays on our roster as a contributing player. Add in that Kyrou could be a playmaking dynamo, who adds a speed and skill element we sorely lack, driving offensive play, meaning both eventually are big contributors to the team, why does it matter if their better or worse than Debrincat?

If they're a net positive and quality player, it was a fine pick.

It's not like their already 25 and molding into Rattie and Bennett.

I agree with you that there's little to complain about if the Blues picks hit, even if they could have potentially hit bigger with a different choice, but that doesn't make the conversation about who they didn't pick irrelevant. Trying to identify and address blind-spots is a worthwhile endeavor, and that's much easier with the benefit of hindsight. If the Blues passed on a talented player for a specific reason, in this case likely for size, then that's worth discussion. Maybe their philosophies change moving forward and maybe they don't, but every miss should be evaluated to see if there's something there that can help you do better next time.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
If they thought he was a legit #1, why did the give his back-up almost the exact same contract? :facepalm: He was signed as a stop-gap platoon until Carter Hart is ready. But yes, he has been playing poorly this season. Granted, both Flyer goalies are barely making more than Jake combined, and have a higher combined save percentage. But their goaltending situation is a mess. Good thing we have Hutts.
hes only making less because he totally bombed in the playoffs for calgary and was the main reason they got swept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad