Around the NHL Discussion Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I was hoping we would trade Berglund for Edmonton's 16th pick that time to take Barzal. No surprise to see him doing well. His ability to change directions on a dime with the puck reminds me a lot of Schwartz. Both use that ability a lot to create the space they need which makes them so effective. Barzal has a little more "flash" to his game than Schwartz does though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was hoping we would trade Berglund for Edmonton's 16th pick that time to take Barzal. No surprise to see him doing well. His ability to change directions on a dime with the puck reminds me a lot of Schwartz. Both use that ability a lot to create the space they need which makes them so effective. Barzal has a little more "flash" to his game than Schwartz does though.
Barzel is a very noticeale notch above Schwartz in skating and puck handling

Reactions: RoarBacon

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
This Seattle news is devoloping pretty quickly. Funding for arena improvements followed almost instantly by a the beginning of the expansion process. Seems like it’s a solid market and there is big rivalry potential with Vancouver and the Cali teams.

Any word on why their fee is $150M more than Vegas? I thought $500M was insane as it was.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
This Seattle news is devoloping pretty quickly. Funding for arena improvements followed almost instantly by a the beginning of the expansion process. Seems like it’s a solid market and there is big rivalry potential with Vancouver and the Cali teams.

Any word on why their fee is $150M more than Vegas? I thought $500M was insane as it was.

From what I read when Vegas became an expansion team, alot of the fees had to do with covering the league and teams making less due to revenue sharing and the fact that it would take Vegas several years to effectively contribute to the revenue pool. Another teams means even more money taken away from other teams and players so the expansion fees will be offset to that. There is so much stuff in the CBA about this I just haven't taken time to read it all.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
There's an Athletic article in which players from the Penguins and Islanders were asked how they feel after hitting the post. Here's Ryan Reaves's answer:

“First reaction is I wish the nets were three inches bigger. Second reaction is I wish I was a better hockey player and could score. That's all about that goes through my head.”

Love it.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
You have to remember he was out the majority of the season following that surgery on his colon. Since his return 3pts in 5 games. He has only played 9 games this season.
I remember. I also like Backes a lot and wish him well.

I just think Boston was hoping for, and needed, a lot more from him...especially considering the financial resources they've invested. Regardless of why, getting your first goal(s) in December from a guy you are paying $6 million hurts.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Melnyk is arguably the worst owner in the league, and the organization is a dumpster fire in no small part because of him.
He might not be the best in business, but he does spend to the cap even when management has handcuffed the team with some rotten contracts like Phaneuf, Ryan or overpayed depth players and I don't see him going full viola in them.

However for karlsson to get traded team would have to absolutely blow them with their proposal, which I simply don't see happening.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I remember. I also like Backes a lot and wish him well.

I just think Boston was hoping for, and needed, a lot more from him...especially considering the financial resources they've invested. Regardless of why, getting your first goal(s) in December from a guy you are paying $6 million hurts.

Injuries are part of the reason we didn’t give him the extra year. His playing style is rugged and has already taken a toll. That contract will be a disaster next year.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It really wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Karlsson moved, because Melnyk.

He could have got more on his current contract, but took the $6.5m x 7 very quickly. Now he has earned millions, I doubt that Karlsson will suddenly be out to get every last penny he can on his next contract. But, it'll still be around $80m to a 29 year old.

Hopefully he doesn't go to FA and get stupid money a year before Pietrangelo is a UFA.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Injuries are part of the reason we didn’t give him the extra year. His playing style is rugged and has already taken a toll. That contract will be a disaster next year.
It wasn't really about injuries, it was all about the foreseeable slow down in his game that you allude to. Steen is the same age as Backes, has a significantly worse injury record and we didn't have a problem signing him until 2021, the deal term that Backes wanted/got in Boston.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
What all did Ottawa give up for Duchene? Why give away futures and then turn around to get futures back? I can't imagine there would be anyone bigger out there available they could target in return for EK. Seems to me if they were that close to tanking, they'd have stayed out of the Duchene sweepstakes.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What all did Ottawa give up for Duchene? Why give away futures and then turn around to get futures back? I can't imagine there would be anyone bigger out there available they could target in return for EK. Seems to me if they were that close to tanking, they'd have stayed out of the Duchene sweepstakes.
Turris+1st+Bowers+3rd

Moving EK would be hilarious.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Their management didn't somehow know how shit their team was.

They're run last year was certainly fluke, all the numbers in the book displayed it.

Then they go out and trade a 1st, 3rd and decent prospect for a lesser player with an extra year on his contract (yes, I believe Turris is better).

Their puck luck runs out, they got a worse lineup and their goaltending has been really bad (whereas it was magical last year).

They were never that good to begin with. Karlsson should be playing a lot better and that obviously makes them as a team a lot better, but regardless that team I never believed would make the playoffs this year.

Karlsson apparently won't take a discount, so he's almost assuredly gone unless he either changes his mind or the team can shape up and put up better numbers, I don't think he stays.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Their management didn't somehow know how **** their team was.

They're run last year was certainly fluke, all the numbers in the book displayed it.

Then they go out and trade a 1st, 3rd and decent prospect for a lesser player with an extra year on his contract (yes, I believe Turris is better).

Their puck luck runs out, they got a worse lineup and their goaltending has been really bad (whereas it was magical last year).

They were never that good to begin with. Karlsson should be playing a lot better and that obviously makes them as a team a lot better, but regardless that team I never believed would make the playoffs this year.

Karlsson apparently won't take a discount, so he's almost assuredly gone unless he either changes his mind or the team can shape up and put up better numbers, I don't think he stays.
They decided Chara wasn't worth the money either. They can't be so dumb to make same mistake again.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
They decided Chara wasn't worth the money either. They can't be so dumb to make same mistake again.
I think they know his worth, but simply A) won't spend the real dollars or B) would be better off rebuilding.

Melnyk was apparently mad that he said he won't take a discount to stay there. Any expectancy of a player to be paid less than they could is somewhat ridiculous, especially when as an owner you've proven yourself to be cheap and not spend to ice a consistent, contending team.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If there's one player in the league that shouldn't take a hometown discount it's Karlsson. He's literally the backbone of that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad