Around the NHL Discussion Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
First Perron, now Oshie.

Jumbo Joe must have an I Know What You Did Last Summer hit list on our late noughties Baby Blues. Someone cover Berglund in some bubble wrap!

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Brouwer finally got his first goal and he's on pace for 18 points. So much for a bounce back year.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
First Perron, now Oshie.

Jumbo Joe must have an I Know What You Did Last Summer hit list on our late noughties Baby Blues. Someone cover Berglund in some bubble wrap!

I've long felt Thornton was a giant piece of crap on the ice. That was 100% intent to injure and he should be suspended. But it's Thornton so he won't.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
First Perron, now Oshie.

It was a dangerous and stupid play on his part. The league definitely needs to hit him with a harsh suspension, but they won't. Shark's coach DeBoer also calling the fight with Tom Wilson premeditated crap and garbage is laughable. Look at what your player just did. He literally smashed a dude's face into the boards with his butt. Oshie was already in a vulnerable position and couldn't prepare or defend himself, yet Thornton continued. I understand a coach is going to protect his player, but that's just dumb. Joe absolutely needed to answer the bell there.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
DeBoer is a whiny brat. I can’t stand that guy. Him and Boudreau are both unbearable to me.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
DeBoer is a whiny brat. I can’t stand that guy. Him and Boudreau are both unbearable to me.
I wonder if Wild get bounced again early or don't make the playoffs if he'll be fired. I don't that Boudreau is the guy to get the Wild over the hump. I think when it boils down to it, he can't out-think (out-coach) the other guy. He sticks with his plan and hopes it works out eventually.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I wonder if Wild get bounced again early or don't make the playoffs if he'll be fired. I don't that Boudreau is the guy to get the Wild over the hump. I think when it boils down to it, he can't out-think (out-coach) the other guy. He sticks with his plan and hopes it works out eventually.

If they miss the playoffs outright or lose in the first round I think they’d let him go even with all the injuries up there. Their time with Parise (what’s left of him) and Suter is dwindling quickly. He’s never had any great success anywhere he’s gone in the postseason. But, I guess it would also depend on who’s available because someone like Quenneville would probably change a lot of teams plans.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
If they miss the playoffs outright or lose in the first round I think they’d let him go even with all the injuries up there. Their time with Parise (what’s left of him) and Suter is dwindling quickly. He’s never had any great success anywhere he’s gone in the postseason. But, I guess it would also depend on who’s available because someone like Quenneville would probably change a lot of teams plans.

There's another name I'm very curious about, if Chicago ends up dumping Quenneville. I don't think Chicago's problem is Quenneville, but I see this season ending one of two ways for Coach Q. Either he resigns at the end of the year, or he's fired.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I dont think there is any guy to get that roster over the hump. Just a whole lot of meh

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Chicago is in a tough spot. The easiest way to shake up a team is firing the coach, and even the best coaches wear out their welcome and that’s probably where he is up there. That being said, the roster is still flawed. It was flawed going into the season and it’s performed about how you could expect. In Toews and Seabrook they have two of the worst contracts in the league. They’ll never trade Toews and unless Seabrook develops an allergy to hockey tape, they’re stuck with that contract as well. Keith is declining each year, Saad hasn’t done much outside of a couple games early on and they just don’t have much forward depth. DeBrincat looks like he’ll be a good young player, but as it stands their next wave of young guys hasn’t been all that great. They’ve got a lot of non-easily filled gaps in that roster currently and on the horizon.

They look like they’ll be right in that WC fight all year and I’d bet they make it. I’ll be interested to see if they make a move at the deadline as one last gasp with this core or if they’ll stand pat and either just make it or just miss. It’ll be very interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It was a dangerous and stupid play on his part. The league definitely needs to hit him with a harsh suspension, but they won't. Shark's coach DeBoer also calling the fight with Tom Wilson premeditated crap and garbage is laughable. Look at what your player just did. He literally smashed a dude's face into the boards with his butt. Oshie was already in a vulnerable position and couldn't prepare or defend himself, yet Thornton continued. I understand a coach is going to protect his player, but that's just dumb. Joe absolutely needed to answer the bell there.

No doubt about it, he deserves a suspension. That's about 3 different violations on that one. Interference (Oshie dumped the puck for 4+ seconds before, long before Thornton line dup the hit), Boarding and shot to the head/roughing. I am highly disappointed that nobody tried to fight him immediately. I'm glad to hear Wilson eventually did. I am not a fan of Enforcers, but if there is ever a call for one, its right there. I lost what little respect for Thornton I may have had. I was kind of hoping SJ would miss the playoffs so he'd be available as arental, but now I just want them to miss so he can retire a month earlier.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I wonder if Minnesota will look to tear it down if they fail in the playoffs again. Their core is relatively young though aside from Suter, Parise, and Koivu. It's a shame that they're in our division. I would love to pry any of Coyle, Zucker, or Niederreiter from that team.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
What happens when you combine a bunch of guys mostly told they weren't good enough for their NHL team to keep? You get Vegas with only 5 fewer points than the NHL leading Lightning with 40 points. They're not going amaze everyone with an abundance of skill but they work for 60 minutes most nights. Seems like a bunch of guys with chips on their shoulders and something to prove. It's hard to not root for them at least a little.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
What happens when you combine a bunch of guys mostly told they weren't good enough for their NHL team to keep? You get Vegas with only 5 fewer points than the NHL leading Lightning with 40 points. They're not going amaze everyone with an abundance of skill but they work for 60 minutes most nights. Seems like a bunch of guys with chips on their shoulders and something to prove. It's hard to not root for them at least a little.

I posted in a 'bold predictions' thread somewhere that VGK would finish ahead of LAK in the standings. I didn't expect it however to be a battle for 1st place in the division. I also didn't expect LA to be any good this year, so there's that.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Chicago better hope that Crawford doesn't go down long term at some point during the season. Forsberg gave up 3 goals on 10 shots.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Chicago better hope that Crawford doesn't go down long term at some point during the season. Forsberg gave up 3 goals on 10 shots.

Crawford was put on IR the first of this month. If things continue down this road for Chicago I’ll be interested to see if they fire Q after the new year.

Also, while stalking their board a bit I saw a post that included the Hawks have 31 million (!!!) in full NMC on their books until 2023.

Last edited:

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012

Wow i knew Barzal was putting up numbers, but damn is he looking dominant at times carrying the puck. His play speed is insane.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Barzel really seperates himself from the other rookies imo. Lol....and just think, Edmonton traded that pick for a guy they lost via Expansion draft.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Crawford was put on IR the first of this month. If things continue down this road for Chicago I’ll be interested to see if they fire Q after the new year.

Also, while stalking their board a bit I saw a post that included the Hawks have 31 million (!!!) in full NMC on their books until 2023.

Hard to critique it since they won 3 cups, but they were always going to be in for a big fall after going all in like that. They will probably fall back to 2006 level ticket sales now. They have nowhere to go but down with the heavy contracts they have. On the other hand, we are perennial contenders with no cup. I don't know which is worse. We always have hope, but never anything to show for it.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The salaries to Kane, Toews, Seabrook, and Crawford are hard for the Hawks to get around right now. Might still be later. They also have to hope guys like Forsling, Schmaltz, and DeBrincat can become a true next elite core. If it weren't for the cap circumvention contracts to Hossa and Keith, I kind of wonder if this would have happened sooner. We'll never know, but the luck with working around the cap and having ELC guys show up and play well seems to be dwindling. I won't count them out but they are hurting.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
The chances of that being a botched draft for them is greater then it turning out to be a savvy trio of picks. I really liked guys like Barzel and Chabot alot.
Yeah, they could've had barzal, chabot, and someone like a Boeser or Kyle Connor. The Zboril pick I get because that's around where he was ranked, but the other two were questionable.

Reactions: Dbrownss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->