Around The NHL - Back in the Saddle Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/08/30/hurricane-harvey-nhl-nhlpa-donation/618348001/

A good move by both the NHL and NHLPA. Both of these organizations are going to have to donate more money if either NHL arena or both arenas in Florida get damaged badly by the next hurricane. We saw how bad the flooding in Calgary got as the rising waters caused damaged to the Saddledome.

That's a good gesture but a piddly amount. I think it is kind of embarrassing. I would hope that any arena that is damaged by weather is covered by insurance.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jeff Vinik, owner of the Lightning, donated $1 million himself today

Now that is more like it. Makes the NHL and the NHLPA look kind of foolish. Have any of the other pro organizations donated?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I don't like Russians but I think I would have given him a shot at that price.

I'm shocked to hear this. Russian players rarely play a 2 way game, but you can't be telling me you'd turn down any of Ovechkin, Malkin, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Panarin or Radulov's offensive talents for your squad if they were available?

The KHL factor sucks, but I have a hard time believing a similar problem wouldn't exist if there was another top tier league in North America that had the financing to poach top talent from the NHL.

I'm curious exactly what you have against Russian players. What is your view on Jagr leaving the NHL? What about Gordie Howe leaving for the WHA? Russians aren't the only ones that leave when producing.

Yakupov doesn't distribute the puck terribly well or seem to adjust to new systems. So I'm glad St Louis let him walk (also glad he didn't fill out the conditions for the 2017 3rd to become a 2nd). I have a hard time believing that Yakupov fits in Colorado any better when the players he played with in St Louis have filled in on the top line admirably for injury relief and couldn't get Yakupov producing. Especially given how much better St Louis' blue line is at retrieving and transitioning the puck than either Colorado or the Oilers during Yakupov's time with them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm shocked to hear this. Russian players rarely play a 2 way game, but you can't be telling me you'd turn down any of Ovechkin, Malkin, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Panarin or Radulov's offensive talents for your squad if they were available?

The KHL factor sucks, but I have a hard time believing a similar problem wouldn't exist if there was another top tier league in North America that had the financing to poach top talent from the NHL.

I'm curious exactly what you have against Russian players. What is your view on Jagr leaving the NHL? What about Gordie Howe leaving for the WHA? Russians aren't the only ones that leave when producing.

Yakupov doesn't distribute the puck terribly well or seem to adjust to new systems. So I'm glad St Louis let him walk (also glad he didn't fill out the conditions for the 2017 3rd to become a 2nd). I have a hard time believing that Yakupov fits in Colorado any better when the players he played with in St Louis have filled in on the top line admirably for injury relief and couldn't get Yakupov producing. Especially given how much better St Louis' blue line is at retrieving and transitioning the puck than either Colorado or the Oilers during Yakupov's time with them.

There are many great Russian players, but I'm sick and tired or them always threatening to leave and go back to Russia during contract negotiations. As far as I'm concerned let them all go back. As far as Yakupov goes I guess I figured away from Edmonton he might produce, but as it stands now, he is just another Russian I would not touch.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There are many great Russian players, but I'm sick and tired or them always threatening to leave and go back to Russia during contract negotiations. As far as I'm concerned let them all go back. As far as Yakupov goes I guess I figured away from Edmonton he might produce, but as it stands now, he is just another Russian I would not touch.

If you have the option to play at home and make better money or play a bigger role, why shouldn't you be allowed to consider it. Swiss players do the same...there's just less publicity because we're no comunists. Players from other countries like the Swedes would do the same it's just that their clubs have no fans and therefore no money. Nobody likes to play for free.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you have the option to play at home and make better money or play a bigger role, why shouldn't you be allowed to consider it. Swiss players do the same...there's just less publicity because we're no comunists. Players from other countries like the Swedes would do the same it's just that their clubs have no fans and therefore no money. Nobody likes to play for free.

Then why come over in the first place? Stay home, we don't need the aggravation. Play at home and hope your check clears the bank.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What has Maurice done to earn a contract extension?

If Chevy replaces Mauurice now, what happens if the team falters this year under a new coach? Chey might get the axe then. By keeping Maurice, Chevy creates his own job protection in a way. if the teams falters this year, he can always blame Maurice and fire him. It buys Chevy more time.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hysterical mostly given mockery following the Yotes announcement.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They're blaming arena location on not being downtown now in the BoH thread. I'm pretty sure real fans would make that trip.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nhl/florida-panthers/article171560652.html

A number of Florida Panthers players have been in South Florida preparing for their upcoming season.

On Friday, a good many of them will jet out of the path of a Category 5 hurricane.

The Panthers chartered a plane to shuttle players, staff members and their families to Boston.

The team is also allowing pets on the flight north.

The team is paying for the flight and could open training camp in Springfield, Massachusetts, next week depending on the extent of the damage in and around Broward County.

A group of about 80 will depart Fort Lauderdale on Friday morning.

Players, coaching staff and hockey operations are part of the traveling party.

“We have the facilities in Springfield and could start camp there if we had to,” said team CEO Matthew Caldwell, who plans on riding out the storm at the arena.

“We hope this is just a couple days up in Massachusetts and a flight home. But we don’t know what’s going to happen, don’t know what we will sustain.”

“We have a good mix of players going up there and they’ll have great facilities in Boston. Hopefully everything works out here and we can fly them back in a few days.”

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

This must be a mistake. I was told the NHL could sell out any city in Canada...

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany