Around The NHL - Back in the Saddle Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The Oilers will have 21 million dollars wrapped up in 2 players in 2018

They better hope they win the cup by then. If not, they are screwed!

Some GM's never learn. I know it was before the current GM of the Oilers but they gave out stupid contracts for Hall, Eberle and RNH. I understand McDavid, but they could end up being in cap hell in two years. These long term contracts always comes back and bites the teams in the a--. I expect the Coyotes to be in the same dumb situation in a couple of years.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Actually no.... per Cap Friendly, McDavid's extension doesn't kick in until 2018-19. Right now he's only $925K

Oilers are currently sitting with $8M cap space so McDavid will blow that up next season.

RNH and Lucic are both at $6M but Lucic has an NMC.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

You're right, thank you. I actually meant this but didn't complete the thought. 2018-2019 is an expensive season for them. McDavid is probably going t be worth every penny, but who knows. In comparison I don't know if Toews deserves what he makes, Kane certainly does.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Some GM's never learn. I know it was before the current GM of the Oilers but they gave out stupid contracts for Hall, Eberle and RNH. I understand McDavid, but they could end up being in cap hell in two years. These long term contracts always comes back and bites the teams in the a--. I expect the Coyotes to be in the same dumb situation in a couple of years.

I know you gotta sign McDavid to his contract. But Drai may or may not be Conner's Malkin. It seems like a very long and large contract for someone that just finished their 2nd season. EDM will never be able to sign a true #1 defenseman until at least one of RNH or Lucic are gone. They also wont be drafting a #1 defenseman as I don't see them missing the playoffs any time soon. So what will be the cost to acquire a cost controlled one?

McDavid is the type of player that you can plug any forward on his line and they will put up 50 points, so realistically you can spend less on wingers. But they are going to be in a position that the Hawks are in now, without a very friendly Keith, Hammer and Seabrook contract already being in place. Still, I don't doubt that there will be some Cups in EDM before it gets ugly.

Did he get NMC/NTC?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
$7M signing bonus for 20-21. Damn. Along with McDavid, Lucic, and Russell, the Oilers are on the hook for $23M in signing bonuses. That's a lot of money for a season that might never be played.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
From the main board on Mike Riberio

http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/7d1310d8-795a-4501-bc76-d9aaa61dbaad%7C_0.html

His agent (Bob Perno) says Ribeiro hasn't reached anyone since the end of last season. He hasn't trained or put skates since. No team from the NHL or Europe has called. His career is over.

Perno says everyone tried helping him and it looked great but it ultimately failed and now they're hopeless.

Sad story.

It gives an honest objective opinion and perspective of the people who are involved and what sort of road it has taken to get here. Shame for his children who potentially are going to lose there father forever as a result you can tell even though all the crap he has done they still love him and miss him very much.

Again I recommend people listen to what Bob Perno has to say on the subject he knows more about the subject of the player then anyone else on here.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/perno-we-can-t-get-in-touch-with-mike-ribeiro-1.843986

Summation of interview

- Has been MIA for over 2 months
- Has been and is battling depression
- Relapsed around Christmas time
- Has not returned calls or texts from anyone
- Left rehab in 2013 after 1.5 months and had been sober for over 2 years
- His family has reached out to him to get help but not getting anywhere
- Don Meehan and Bob Perno have been trying to help him and get him in a program for substance abuse
- They don't feel he has hit rock bottom yet
- They feel Mike thinks there is no way out of his current situation and is extremely depressed and he realizes his career is over
- They talked about his past, childhood, around the draft, his career, etc

It's better to listen to because you can hear Bobs exasperation and general frustration

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not the first time he went MIA. Calgary was willing to take him and save us the buyout, except his agent couldn't find him to waive his NTC.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
$7M signing bonus for 20-21. Damn. Along with McDavid, Lucic, and Russell, the Oilers are on the hook for $23M in signing bonuses. That's a lot of money for a season that might never be played.

Considering the very rapid rise in cost of 2nd contracts I think a lockout is inevitable. The NHL just does not have the revenue to be paying huge salaries to 21 year olds.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Athanasiou is using the KHL against the Red Wings.

His agent is the same as Rieder's, the same guy who used Kadri as a comparable to Rieder.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Smart move by VAN. 2 mill for a potential 2nd line point producer who they can flip at the deadline if not in the playoff hunt for a 2nd round draft pick. Worth 2 million to me.
I can't see a 2nd rounder for Vanek. He is the laziest and slowest player in the league. Vancouver is the next victim to discover this.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/08/30/hurricane-harvey-nhl-nhlpa-donation/618348001/

The NHL and the NHL Players' Association announced Wednesday a donation of $200,000 to the American Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity for the relief efforts as Houston recovers from Hurricane Harvey.

In a statement, the league and players' association said the donation to the Red Cross will help with the distribution of food and supplies and support shelters. The donation to Habitat for Humanity would go to rebuilding homes.

The donation would be split evenly between the two organizations, the statement said.

A good move by both the NHL and NHLPA. Both of these organizations are going to have to donate more money if either NHL arena or both arenas in Florida get damaged badly by the next hurricane. We saw how bad the flooding in Calgary got as the rising waters caused damaged to the Saddledome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad