Around The NHL - Back in the Saddle Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So Colorado is the worst team in 20 years and Sakic's solution is to bring back the same team, minus Beauchemin, and plus heavyweights like Bernier, Wilson, and Yakupov?

They had 48 points this season. I think they will actually be worse next year.

Sakic isn't the problem...Bednar is. They actually have a decent team with lots of high end prospects. They just need to somehow bring back Zadorov who was playing his best hockey towards the end of last season until he got injured. Wilson is gonna be a terrific addition if only he could stay healthy. Yakupov still has lots of upside. Low risk but potentially high reward. I'd take Sakic over Chayka any day of the week. Coyotes roster is a mess...not Colorado's.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sakic isn't the problem...Bednar is. They actually have a decent team with lots of high end prospects. They just need to somehow bring back Zadorov who was playing his best hockey towards the end of last season until he got injured. Wilson is gonna be a terrific addition if only he could stay healthy. Yakupov still has lots of upside. Low risk but potentially high reward. I'd take Sakic over Chayka any day of the week. Coyotes roster is a mess...not Colorado's.

I agree about Sakic, but the Coyotes roster is not a mess, but we still have holes to fill.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree about Sakic, but the Coyotes roster is not a mess, but we still have holes to fill.

Right now it is. Chayka still has time to fix it but I doubt he'll be able to. He needs at least one quality right shooting D and F and ideally 1-2 more depth forwards.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Right now it is. Chayka still has time to fix it but I doubt he'll be able to. He needs at least one quality right shooting D and F and ideally 1-2 more depth forwards.

Hell no. 1 or 2 more depth forwards are what He Who Must Not Be Named would want. We have tons of guys that can slot into the bottom six. No need to bring more Tipchuraeske players to take away minutes from our young players. I wouldn't mind trading some of our LHS guys for RHS if we brought real talent but I won't mind Fischer in the top six and Wood on the opening roster to help balance it out.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hell no. 1 or 2 more depth forwards are what He Who Must Not Be Named would want. We have tons of guys that can slot into the bottom six. No need to bring more Tipchuraeske players to take away minutes from our young players. I wouldn't mind trading some of our LHS guys for RHS if we brought real talent but I won't mind Fischer in the top six and Wood on the opening roster to help balance it out.

I also want Fischer in the top6 but there are still holes to fill. Like I said. I think for development reasons, Keller and Strome should be Tucson bound. I'm mixed on Crouse. Duclair has shown nothing but liabilities last season. He never was very good against the puck and you may be able to swallow one player like that...but until he starts scoring in Tucson, he shouldn't see NHL action. McGinn nowhere near good enough for the NHL anyway.
Not sure about Wood. I don't know much about him but from the bit I've seen and heard he may need another season in Tucson.

I'm just against rushing prospects. It usually doesn't work. The organizations who give their top prospects 2-3 extra seasons in the minors even though they could play NHL tend to have more success than those who put them in the lineup as soon as there's a small chance they may be ready to play. Trying to speed up a rebuild is a stupid thing to do and hardly ever works out well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I also want Fischer in the top6 but there are still holes to fill. Like I said. I think for development reasons, Keller and Strome should be Tucson bound. I'm mixed on Crouse. Duclair has shown nothing but liabilities last season. He never was very good against the puck and you may be able to swallow one player like that...but until he starts scoring in Tucson, he shouldn't see NHL action. McGinn nowhere near good enough for the NHL anyway.
Not sure about Wood. I don't know much about him but from the bit I've seen and heard he may need another season in Tucson.

I'm just against rushing prospects. It usually doesn't work. The organizations who give their top prospects 2-3 extra seasons in the minors even though they could play NHL tend to have more success than those who put them in the lineup as soon as there's a small chance they may be ready to play. Trying to speed up a rebuild is a stupid thing to do and hardly ever works out well.

This rushing prospects is so overblown it's crazy. When a kid is ready, he is ready. The reason most end up in the A is because their talent level has not matured to the NHL level. The jump to the NHL is enormous and most never make it, or make an impact. Most bring up the Red Wings and point to their so called over cooking prospects, but they never had a pick in the top 10 for years, so they had to take it slow with them. Holland said that they may have to change their model because the kids now a days play, practice and train twelve months a year and are so much more advanced than players of past. Saying Strome and Kelller need two or three years in the A is ignorant if you ask me. IF they do play in the A I expect it to be for only a few games, certainly not years.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This rushing prospects is so overblown it's crazy. When a kid is ready, he is ready. The reason most end up in the A is because their talent level has not matured to the NHL level. The jump to the NHL is enormous and most never make it, or make an impact. Most bring up the Red Wings and point to their so called over cooking prospects, but they never had a pick in the top 10 for years, so they had to take it slow with them. Holland said that they may have to change their model because the kids now a days play, practice and train twelve months a year and are so much more advanced than players of past. Saying Strome and Kelller need two or three years in the A is ignorant if you ask me. IF they do play in the A I expect it to be for only a few games, certainly not years.

I disagree. Last season, at least in my view, Fischer would have been the Coyotes winger nr.3 in terms of defense/allround game and he would have been good enough to justify a roster spot on any team. Why was it still the right decision to leave him in Tucson? For development reasons...the stint he played for the Coyotes showed it...his offensive game wasn't ready yet. Adjusting to playing against men is a lot easier in the AHL.

Also works the other way around btw. Take Mike Hoffman for example. He played four seasons for Binghamton even though he easily could have played for Ottawa after one or two. Did it hurt him? Absolutely not. Hoffman is one of the smartest and most complete wingers in today's NHL. Why is that the case? Because of his seasoning in Binghamton. People tend to forget about it but he used to have a very "Duclairish" image. He got pushed off the puck too easily, was weak along the boards and his game against the puck was non-existent.

Now compare that to what Vancouver or Edmonton used to do.

Last edited:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
If I met Maloney I'd immediately tell him that I love him and hate Tippett. I'd then pester him for all the dirt on Wheeler, Mueller and Turris.

My comment was to another person that posted a bizarre video, but it's since been removed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Every team he went to, he made significantly better. RIP Mr. Murray.

This is good too.

DHD_9dIV0AADaiL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: