Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
If lets say we have the 11th or 12th pick. for us to get to a top 5 pick it would take a haul from us. If hopefully we can get a 8/9 pick i feel like we should be able to get one of Bouchard, Dobson or Smith. Is getting a boqvist or wahlstrom worth trading our first rounder (lets say bouchard or Smith) plus our boston first rounder (lets say possibly Kravtsov or Addison) plus more? IDK.

I'm not mad keen at all on trading Zucc, assuming he is on board with giving us a break on his next contract. He has shown more than willing in the past.

That said, I'm not keen on trading away a lot of our newly gained assets to get us a top 6 or 7 pick. I'd much rather gain a top pick via the lottery! Come on, Gary :naughty:

I mean, inside the top 7 for that package shouldn’t be unrealistic? I think we all have no idea what teams were offering for Zucc...

I just have a feeling that Gorts isn’t sweating this like we are. He’s going to get one of those top guys, regardless of where our lotto ticket lands us. He just has A LOT of work to do, except now he’s got a ton of ammo. I firmly believe some of the guys we picked up were guys highly coveted by other teams and that’s the type of wheeling and dealing he’s going to do. Package our guys with the newbies.

That is what I really am hoping for. We've really got no choice but to put our trust in JG and hope he is a man with a plan, and a good one. Maybe if we don't end up top 5 via whatever means, Gorts and Gordie have their eye on one of the D who aren't slated to appear there anyway. Could save our picks and we still end up with a real solid D piece as this draft is so deep.

Reactions: bl02 and Rongomania

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As I mentioned in the other thread, I could see the Zuc for Spezza plus deal which will include Dallas's first. Then the Rangers trade their first (7-11 range), Boston first, and Dallas's first, to move up 4-5 slots. It would leave them still with two first rounders this year, and potentially two next year.

If the Devils miss the playoffs, there's always the chance they win a top 3 pick, and the Devils second which the Rangers own from the Grabner deal becomes a pick in the 32-35 range.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't see the desire for moving up 4-5 slots in the first round. The draft is considered pretty deep and 3 swings seems like a pretty attractive place to start at the beginning of a rebuild. I'd use those 3 picks where they are and continue looking to off-load players for futures. I think next year is the year they really bottom out

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't see the desire for moving up 4-5 slots in the first round. The draft is considered pretty deep and 3 swings seems like a pretty attractive place to start at the beginning of a rebuild. I'd use those 3 picks where they are and continue looking to off-load players for futures. I think next year is the year they really bottom out

I guess it really depends on who the Rangers like.

Let's say they pick 11, and the list of guys they really like extends to that pick and beyond. Frankly, there's less incentive to move up.

For example, I see very good value in picks 1-12 and then a drop. Others might see it as 1-10, or 1-7, or 1-15. We don't know how the Rangers see it.

We're also going off lists that appeal to us as a board --- this is nothing new. It can also create a bit of a disconnect if a player falls.

For example, we all love Bouchard. But for all we know, most teams could have him sitting at 12 or 13 on their lists. Or we could have scenario where each team has Bouchard high, but find themselves in a position to grab one of the guys they like better. It's happened to guys like Vilardi or Fowler or others in the past.

The truth is, none of us know right now. We're still only a few weeks removed from the deadline, even if it feels like it was months ago.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017

If it's a question of moving into the top three then it's a totally different situation, however, given that would take a kings ransom, I'd probably prefer to keep as much ammo as we already have in the first.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'm not mad keen at all on trading Zucc, assuming he is on board with giving us a break on his next contract. He has shown more than willing in the past.

That said, I'm not keen on trading away a lot of our newly gained assets to get us a top 6 or 7 pick. I'd much rather gain a top pick via the lottery! Come on, Gary :naughty:

That is what I really am hoping for. We've really got no choice but to put our trust in JG and hope he is a man with a plan, and a good one. Maybe if we don't end up top 5 via whatever means, Gorts and Gordie have their eye on one of the D who aren't slated to appear there anyway. Could save our picks and we still end up with a real solid D piece as this draft is so deep.

I know man, losing Zucc is going to be painful, especially if we bring Kovy onboard, because I have a feeling those two would be diabolical together ...

Come on Gary is right! We’re ****ing due!! I also don’t want to trade away any of the new pieces.... but we’ve got such an arsenal looking like they’re just waiting for the draft/offseason..

I trust him, he’s managed to work some nice deals so far, with even more room and options coming up in the draft/off-season. I think you’re right, they have their eyes on a guy in the teens-twenties (ala chytil). You’ve also hit on another point, we can say “**** your top five, seven, etc. pick.” Then, just use all of ours and have even more pieces to work with through this.

But dammit, I want one of those top 6,7 kids. Drooling over Svech if not Dahlin....

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
As I mentioned in the other thread, I could see the Zuc for Spezza plus deal which will include Dallas's first. Then the Rangers trade their first (7-11 range), Boston first, and Dallas's first, to move up 4-5 slots. It would leave them still with two first rounders this year, and potentially two next year.

If the Devils miss the playoffs, there's always the chance they win a top 3 pick, and the Devils second which the Rangers own from the Grabner deal becomes a pick in the 32-35 range.

Ugh, I am torn. It does suck that we are winning games. Still 8 games left, good chance we can fall back to 8th

Reactions: Rongomania

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I know man, losing Zucc is going to be painful, especially if we bring Kovy onboard, because I have a feeling those two would be diabolical together ...

Come on Gary is right! We’re ****ing due!! I also don’t want to trade away any of the new pieces.... but we’ve got such an arsenal looking like they’re just waiting for the draft/offseason..

I trust him, he’s managed to work some nice deals so far, with even more room and options coming up in the draft/off-season. I think you’re right, they have their eyes on a guy in the teens-twenties (ala chytil). You’ve also hit on another point, we can say “**** your top five, seven, etc. pick.” Then, just use all of ours and have even more pieces to work with through this.

But dammit, I want one of those top 6,7 kids. Drooling over Svech if not Dahlin....

Dahlin would be amazing, but for us as Ranger fans, having drafted really near the top so seldom, and with the top three this year, picking any one of them would be amazing. I have a feeling we are landing Zadina. Something in my water, could be too much green tea. And we are more than due!

We certainly could use some elite talent in the worst way, though, and if we could pull that from a late first rounder / later round, then all the better.

Also, no idea if JG fancies Spooner long term, but he has certainly done plenty for his case, and / or not done his trade value any harm.

Last edited:

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Dahlin would be amazing, but for us as Ranger fans, having drafted really near the top so seldom, and with the top three this year, picking any one of them would be amazing. I have a feeling we are landing Zadina. Something in my water, could be too much green tea. And we are more than due!

We certainly could use some elite talent in the worst way, though, and if we could pull that from a late first rounder / later round, then all the better.

Also, no idea if JG fancies Spooner long term, but he has certainly done plenty for his case, and / or not done his trade value any harm.

Any of the top three, I think will drastically change the landscape of this franchise. We’ve got the supporting cast already down pretty much.

I think this is really going to be the draft which propels us to that elusive “Next level.” Which has evaded us for two long, the elite scorer/D (obvi hank is elite, but he’s been on less than stellar teams his entire career).

Ok. What if spoon continues to tear it the F up and Zucca does the same?

Spoon + Zucca = Thoughts ?

Top 5 potential package?

A young & primed for a breakout/serious career - Either D or F ?

Last edited:

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Any of the top three, I think will drastically change the landscape of this franchise. We’ve got the supporting cast already down pretty much.

I think this is really going to be the draft which propels us to that elusive “Next level.” Which has evaded us for two long, the elite scorer/D (obvi hank is elite, but he’s been on less than stellar teams his entire career).

Ok. What if spoon continues to tear it the F up and Zucca does the same?

Spoon + Zucca = Thoughts ?

Top 5 potential package?

Primed for a breakout/serious career? Either D or F ?

We have had a couple of teams with the talent level to match that of Hank's, but over the course probably haven't managed to give him the supporting cast he deserved. Of course there has been many a team he's carried on his back.

Getting the elite talent would be amazing obviously, although, I'd rather that didn't include moving Zucc for a number of reasons. And not just because he's a fan favorite.

Once the lottery shakes out of course, everyone will have a much better idea of where they stand. Personally, if we are moving any more major key piece(s) in a draft type blockbuster, I'd want that pick coming back to be very high indeed - if Gary and his ping pong balls hasn't done us a solid by then.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

Reactions: Ori

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Yup. Stay where we are. If that Spezza deal was to happen I'd keep that 1st rounder too. 4 bites at the cherry.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Sens hit 3 posts on 1 powerplay. That can't happen too often.

They also scored the luckiest goal ive ever seen to tie Game 5 against us last year. Puck bounced in 4 different directions between leaving Brassards stick and crossing the goal line

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Islanders losing to the caps again... 4-1...

No playoffs for you Isles :D

Hopefully it doesn't come back and bite us in the ass if they've got two chances at the lottery. Saying that, it is hilarious after our sell off and them 'going for it' that it looks like we are the better team.

Reactions: bl02

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Isles trying to make playoffs while we are rebuilding yet we may finish above them lol.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Isles trying to make playoffs while we are rebuilding yet we may finish above them lol.

The problem is Tavares isn't going to go balls to the wall for the playoff push and risk an injury that will effect his big payday.

Snow let Tavares hold him hostage at the deadline and now this is what you get. Stuck in neutral while you wait out the inevitable of him leaving 7/1.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We may? we are climbing the standings baby. every team tied with us and below us keeps on losing without fail. I think its over double digits now consecutive games the tank teams have lost now

Reactions: darko

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

kinds sucks if that happens basically because of the last two weeks we lose Zucc and our boston first rounder.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You would think both Snow and Weight get canned. I can’t see Tavares sticking around in this mess.

Weight and Tavares are best boys apparently Weight took him in during his rookie season.

And based on Anders Lees comments during that whole fire snow billboard fiasco it seems the players are behind Snow. I'm also pretty sure Wang gave Snow an ironclad contract on his way out that will be very expensive for the new owners to get out from.

It's funny how that backfired tremendously, the Islanders were still in a playoff spot at that time!!!!

If Tavares stays there then it just proves he's a giant loser who is content with mediocrity for the rest of his career.

How are the Islanders going to compete with him on a $12 million cap hit when they couldn't with him on the biggest bargain contract in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad