Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It's becoming more and more likely by the day that the Rangers may pick outside the top ten. The teams directly behind them seemingly don't win. Detroit has a streak of 9 straight losses across regulation and overtime, the Islanders have 1 win in their last 11, Vancouver was close until they decided to lose 5 straight and not score a goal across 3+ games, Chicago just lost to ****ing Buffalo, and Montreal seemingly never wins either. The only team that's doing any sort of winning is Ottawa who may be too far back at this point and Edmonton who's starting to falter again. It's absurd.

Not shocking most of these teams have given up and the ones who are trying like Arizona are so far back it's meaningless if they win. Even Ottawa for that matter. So at this point does it matter if we pick 12th or try to win most of our games and pick 13th or 14th?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Oh well, I'm not as stressed about it as I was when the team first started winning. I like watching the kids do well while the vets bump their value, and I'm content to let the lottery play out – especially as I do more research on the draft and find myself liking guys like Farabee, Wilde, and Kravtov more and more.

Reactions: jas

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Oh well, I'm not as stressed about it as I was when the team first started winning. I like watching the kids do well while the vets bump their value, and I'm content to let the lottery play out – especially as I do more research on the draft and find myself liking guys like Farabee, Wilde, and Kravtov more and more.

You have the right attitude for sure.
Crazy how I was thinking of kravtsov for our second pick now he might slide to our first pick haha.
Right now I would sign up for farabee at 12thish and kravtsov at 25ish. Two weeks ago boqvist was on radar

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
It's a disaster . Most people thought the likes of Arizona or Montreal would catch us now we are more likely to pass up the likes of Carolina and nyi. Hey at this point lets even pass the flyers . Who gives a **** anymore

I didn't think the Coyotes would pass us, but thought many others would be in with a shout. This run of wins is fun and all, and we don't want to establish a loosing culture for sure, but some of these wins might be coming back to thump us over the head.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The Devils went on a scoring spree a few years ago right before the draft when they ended up winning the lottery (I think to get Larsson) even when they were far out of a spot. Maybe the same luck will apply to us :)

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017

It's a good point and there are some real interesting prospects and stories developing around this draft, and potentially, particularly in the middle of the first. Could get very interesting.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's becoming more and more likely by the day that the Rangers may pick outside the top ten. The teams directly behind them seemingly don't win. Detroit has a streak of 9 straight losses across regulation and overtime, the Islanders have 1 win in their last 11, Vancouver was close until they decided to lose 5 straight and not score a goal across 3+ games, Chicago just lost to ****ing Buffalo, and Montreal seemingly never wins either. The only team that's doing any sort of winning is Ottawa who may be too far back at this point and Edmonton who's starting to falter again. It's absurd.

That was Chicago's first loss in 9 years to the Sabres!

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
The Devils went on a scoring spree a few years ago right before the draft when they ended up winning the lottery (I think to get Larsson) even when they were far out of a spot. Maybe the same luck will apply to us :)

Any top three pick would be huge for us, and certainly would make JG consider who we perhaps keep in terms of supporting cast and what we may not need to do so much on draft day.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Panthers have once again reverted to being well...the Panthers.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
what a disaster of a week on the scoreboard from every angle you look at it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Holes aside, I still can't figure out how a team has Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Saad and others in their lineup, and still loses.

They've tuned Coach Q out. The Saad for Panarin deal is a disaster. Supporting cast isn't nearly as good as it once was besides Derbrincat. Biggest one is Crawford's injury. Yes he is streaky and can get either two shutouts and pulled after 8 shots or gets pulled after 8 shots twice and a shutout in any given week, but he's good enough of a regular season goalie to get them into the playoffs.

Dallas I talked about earlier a being very top heavy, the Hanzal injury killed their middle six center depth, and Bishop isn't as good without Tampa, and Philly has a very young D and goaltending issues. Mrazek hasn't been good at all.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Today isn't off to too bad a start, that's a nice two points for the Oilers. They've been putting together some decent results. Would have been better for Chicago to get some points, that is a sore one.
I'm being greedy. Trying to root for teams behind us as well as the Panthers and Jackets for obvious reasons.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
They've tuned Coach Q out. The Saad for Panarin deal is a disaster. Supporting cast isn't nearly as good as it once was besides Derbrincat. Biggest one is Crawford's injury. Yes he is streaky and can get either two shutouts and pulled after 8 shots or gets pulled after 8 shots twice and a shutout in any given week, but he's good enough of a regular season goalie to get them into the playoffs.

Dallas I talked about earlier a being very top heavy, the Hanzal injury killed their middle six center depth, and Bishop isn't as good without Tampa, and Philly has a very young D and goaltending issues. Mrazek hasn't been good at all.
What are they going to do w/ Kane? Do they trade him?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I would expect, when you've already got a core like that in place, with your stars all still (just) under 30, you try to address your flaws and set up for another run.

(Speaking of which, I wonder what we could get from them for Georgiev...)

Georgiev is an interesting case. I wouldn't be willing to trade him sooner rather than later. I think he will be a fine backup next year and possibly even be a competent starter if need be which would dramatically increase his trade value. Not sure if the sample size is large enough regarding him having a high trade value this offseason.
Plus is it a certainty Shesty is coming over in 2019-2020???
It would be anyones guess as to what he would return in a trade. Especially because he makes very little $ and is young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad