Around the NHL, 2016-2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Huh? Chychrun was always thought of as the most NHL-ready defenseman at the draft. He certainly is physically. The thinking is, though, that he won't top out as an elite, #1 defenseman. If that's what many teams believed then it shouldn't be a surprise he fell and that teams took risks on other, more higher-potential players.

defenseman (and many forwards) taken ahead of him don't have that kind of potential either, save for sergachev. knock on chychrun was his hockey sense. he's proving those doubts wrong.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Eriksson Ek and Beauvillier doing well this season in the NHL. Liked both of them in the 15' draft class.

defenseman (and many forwards) taken ahead of him don't have that kind of potential either, save for sergachev. knock on chychrun was his hockey sense. he's proving those doubts wrong.

I think he was just over-scouted to death.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe, I question his offensive upside. I'm also concerned he's another Gormley.

Took Gormley 3 years to make it to the NHL. Took Chychrun 4 months.

Gormley has 5 pts in 58 NHL games. Chychrun has 3 pts in 5 NHL games.

Going to go out on a limb and say that is very unlikely. I can understand having questions on his offensive upside, I just think it's very unlikely he turns out like Gormley due to how far along he is already.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Hampus Lindholm signs for a quarter more million a year than DDK for 6 years (5.25m aav)

Lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hampus Lindholm signs for a quarter more million a year than DDK for 6 years (5.25m aav)

Lol

They got a great deal on Lindholm, no doubt. He had the grounds to ask and get more, IMO.

But we bought 5 UFA years with Dekeyser. They only bought 2 with Lindholm. That makes a huge difference in how contracts are valuated.

Also, with Ristolainen and Lindholm coming in at reasonable numbers, it gives Trouba absolutely no leg to stand on with his high contract demands.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
They got a great deal on Lindholm, no doubt. He had the grounds to ask and get more, IMO.

But we bought 5 UFA years with Dekeyser. They only bought 2 with Lindholm. That makes a huge difference in how contracts are valuated.

Also, with Ristolainen and Lindholm coming in at reasonable numbers, it gives Trouba absolutely no leg to stand on with his high contract demands.

Yup i think with the reasonable Hampus Lindholm signing, That hurts Trouba in trying to get a big pay day here. I think Trouba will sign the exact same deal as DeKeyser 6 years $30 million or possibly maybe even a little bit less.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Lol
They've played almost exactly the same number of NHL games, similar point totals, Lindholm has averaged about 21 minutes per game the last 3 seasons and Dekeyser 21:30...

Good deal for Anaheim but it was right in the expected ballpark, just like Dekeyser. Only because it took so long to get done did it seem like Anaheim might have to overpay.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
They've played almost exactly the same number of NHL games, similar point totals, Lindholm has averaged about 21 minutes per game the last 3 seasons and Dekeyser 21:30...

Good deal for Anaheim but it was right in the expected ballpark, just like Dekeyser. Only because it took so long to get done did it seem like Anaheim might have to overpay.

Lindholm does a lot more with his time on the ice while facing the same competition. He generates more opportunities, suppresses more shots, and controls the puck for a lot longer. Dekeyser is often overwhelmed by the opponents he plays against, Lindholm does very well against them. Lindholm is a burgeoning number 1 defenseman. The deal is a steal.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Lindholm does a lot more with his time on the ice while facing the same competition. He generates more opportunities, suppresses more shots, and controls the puck for a lot longer. Dekeyser is often overwhelmed by the opponents he plays against, Lindholm does very well against them. Lindholm is a burgeoning number 1 defenseman. The deal is a steal.

He was a RFA coming off his rookie contract. Of course his contract will be a "steal."

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Detroit scored 47 goals 5-on-5 with DD on the ice last year, and allowed 49. Season before: 61GF-48GA
Anaheim scored 46 with Lindholm on, and allowed 42. Season before: 66GF, 43GA

Dekeyser has 64 ES points in the last 3 seasons (230 games), Lindholm has 66 ESP in 236 games.

And one has to agree that Lindholm has generally played on better teams surrounded by more talent. He is better and younger, but it's not a massive difference and I'm not surprised Lindholm's agent was unable to convince Anaheim that he deserves more than what he got.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Lindholm is probably the best of the recent young top D signings and pretty sure he's also the cheapest one. Only Ekblad really has a case over him and he's making almost as much as Hedman's UFA contract. :laugh:

No point comparing to Dekeyser because UFA years are way more expensive. This is also a steal while Dekeyser's is merely what you expect a UFA D of his caliber to sign for.

Here's a good article about Lindholm: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...s-lindholm-changing-way-judge-nhl-defencemen/

zUg83jt.jpg

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Just realized Carolina started their season with a 6 game road trip. How is that even allowed to happen?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
but it's not a massive difference and I'm not surprised Lindholm's agent was unable to convince Anaheim that he deserves more than what he got.

I am. Ristolainen's deal was the clear comparable for Lindholm's deal, but Ristolainen's deal included only 1 UFA year while Lindholm's includes 2. It's pretty remarkable that Lindholm's cap hit came in at less than Ristolainen's.

Dreger said earlier this month that Ristolainen was the floor for what Lindholm could get (suggesting he would get more than 5.4 AAV), and he pretty much guaranteed it could not be any lower.

Props to Anaheim for making that happen.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
So many team friendly contracts given out this year, hopefully Tatar signs for peanuts

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So many team friendly contracts given out this year, hopefully Tatar signs for peanuts

These team friendly deals have been comprised of mostly RFA years. Tatar's next deal will be mostly UFA years. So I wouldn't count on it.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Don't forget that Tatar will only be signing for 1 RFA year and the rest will be UFA years don't see Tatar signing for any thing less then 5 years $25 million. He more then likely signs for a little more then Nyquist.

But he is a rfa, so holland should have some leverage

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Just realized Carolina started their season with a 6 game road trip. How is that even allowed to happen?

There's been worse. I think the Canucks were on the road for even longer before the Olympics iirc. I'm sure there are other cases like that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

As much leverage as he had in the DDK deal, which is not much.

I knew someone would bring this deal up on here in regards to the Lindholm deal, not even blouse to comparable.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He has 1 year left of RFA, and no matter what his next contract ends with him being a UFA.

So no, Holland doesn't have a lot of leverage. Similar to the Dekeyser situation.

So if he signs a 5 year deal, we will be paying for 4 UFA years, the deal will be 80% UFA years. Not the type of deals that are "team friendly", typically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad