Around the NHL, 2016-2017 Part II

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He was not the best player either of these past two playoffs.

What that guy does when he I dnt scoring is unreal

Yes Malkin had one more point overall but Did carries that team on his back along with the entire weight of the hockey world.

It's the little things he does that impress me the most

He turn a bums into household names.

Come on man

Last edited by a moderator:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
What that guy does when he I dnt scoring is unreal

Yes Malkin had one more point overall but Did carries that team on his back along with the entire weight of the hockey world.

It's the little things he does that impress me the most

He turn a bums into household names.

Come on man

Kessel was substantially better than Crosby last playoffs, and Matt Murray was a beast these playoffs as was Malkin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Awkward trade for TB.

Sergachev very likely pans out as a dependable top 4D but Drouin is pretty much a 0.8-1 PPG winger.

Defenders carry much more weight in trades than wingers. Particularly if that defender has any potential to hold down a top pairing. They simply have more influence over the game than wings.

I think this ends up being a savvy move for Tampa. They should have taken Jones when they had the chance, so they are attempting to correct that and creating a dominant blueline. Yzerman remembers how incredible his blueline was when he was winning championships.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Defenders carry much more weight in trades than wingers. Particularly if that defender has any potential to hold down a top pairing. They simply have more influence over the game than wings.

I think this ends up being a savvy move for Tampa. They should have taken Jones when they had the chance, so they are attempting to correct that and creating a dominant blueline. Yzerman remembers how incredible his blueline was when he was winning championships.

It's certainly a gamble that Yzerman can take given TB's relative strength at the wing position.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Awkward trade for TB.

Sergachev very likely pans out as a dependable top 4D but Drouin is pretty much a 0.8-1 PPG winger.

Pretty big leap of faith, more than anything. Although Sergachev and Chychrun were the 2 defenseman I liked most from last year's draft.

Not sure how he's a .8-1 ppg winger, he was at .72 ppg last year, and .57 ppg for his career... but I think his upside is a .8-1ppg winger.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Pretty big leap of faith, more than anything. Although Sergachev and Chychrun were the 2 defenseman I liked most from last year's draft.

Not sure how he's a .8-1 ppg winger, he was at .72 ppg last year, and .57 ppg for his career... but I think his upside is a .8-1ppg winger.

Yes, I was referring to his likely peak upside.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't like the trade by Yzerman. So you give a division rival a player that is a 60-ish point winger now, with potential to become a PPG superstar, for an unproven defensive prospect that could easily just turn into a #3-4D?

I'd like it a lot more if they had done essentially the same trade with Vancouver instead for Juolevi or something. I guess Stevie must be really high on Sergachev.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

People point to the Hall-Larsson trade a lot when we talk about trying to deal Nyquist/Tatar/Whoever for a D...well, fits that mold pretty well to me. I think Yzerman did a good job with this. He now doesn't stand to lose any essential forward piece to the draft outside of Paquette, and he took a sizable step to revamping his blueline with a young guy with a bunch of upside that he doesn't have to pay in any serious way for awhile yet.

Dealing Drouin was far from ideal, but he could have done a lot worse.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't like the trade by Yzerman. So you give a division rival a player that is a 60-ish point winger now, with potential to become a PPG superstar, for an unproven defensive prospect that could easily just turn into a #3-4D?

I'd like it a lot more if they had done essentially the same trade with Vancouver instead for Juolevi or something. I guess Stevie must be really high on Sergachev.

I personally think Sergachev has higher upside than Juolevi. Juolevi strikes me much more as a #3 D than Sergachev who is riskier but could be a #1D. I honestly like the deal, though it's a little strange in relation to Tampa's window. I feel like he won't come into his own until most of their players are near the end of their prime.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Time will tell if Sergachev lives up to the hype, but Tampa definitely didn't need another winger, especially one that has been difficult for the organization up to this point.

Kudos to Yzerman for getting top value in a trade again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You don't cross Yzerman unless you want a bus ticket. He did it to people as a player and he has done it as a manager. He waited for Drouin to get his value back up and sold him for stepping out of line in the first place.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Absolutely love that trade for Tampa. I see serg as a future number 1 defensemen. I think point made drouin more expendable

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Drouin to MTL for Sergachev. I really like this trade for TB. Sergachev isn't far out, and he's going to be a good one.

Yeah I like the value Yzerman was able to get here. He wasn't boxed in like he was with St Louis. Took his time and made a really solid hockey trade. Value isn't immediately apparent however it could be within a couple seasons.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm floored because I knew nothing about Sergechev. Drouin I've watched specifically for in Tampa and he's clearly one of the top young forwards today, right up there with Kucherov, O'Reilley, Gudreau, Laine, Draisaitl even Eichel. I think he can have more impact than say Panarin, Scheifele, or Pastarnak for example regardless of points last season.

5.5x6 for a 22 year old of his caliber is a no-brainer for Montreal. It is kind of amusing how desperate Begervin is to win now having to throw in a 2nd round pick next year but it's still not horrible. I would LOVE Drouin on the Wings. I don't care his supposed attitude problems or our future- he's a legit young superstar and would instantly be our best player.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah I like the value Yzerman was able to get here. He wasn't boxed in like he was with St Louis. Took his time and made a really solid hockey trade. Value isn't immediately apparent however it could be within a couple seasons.
I don't know about that. Wasn't he kinda boxed in with both the salary cap and expansion draft? This really doesn't scream top value to me. All depends on Sergachev. On paper he didn't have the most amazing year so it's hard to say he's actually going to be NHL ready next year or ready to make an actual impact in the next few years. For a team supposed to be right in the middle of a cup window it's disastrous if Sergachev can't help them pretty soon.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What would top value be for a guy like Drouin? Don't forget the potential baggage that comes with him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What would top value be for a guy like Drouin? Don't forget the potential baggage that comes with him.
To me it would be another young established player of similar value. I don't know, Trouba maybe? Or at least a D prospect that's further along and closer to stepping in as an impact player, such as Chabot. This just feels like it carries too much risk for Tampa.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
To me it would be another young established player of similar value. I don't know, Trouba maybe? Or at least a D prospect that's further along and closer to stepping in as an impact player, such as Chabot. This just feels like it carries too much risk for Tampa.

Yep. Yzerman essentially traded Drouin for an unproven 9th overall selected dman with 4 games under his belt. Atleast he got something in return, but he could have had better if he didn't poo the bed.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I think that's wishful thinking, you're trading a kid who was set to make 5m+ when you already have a decent amount of forward depth. You're getting back a blue chip defensive prospect and save a bunch of cap space to sign other players.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect 1:1 trades, taking risks, like this one, is necessary. Especially when you're trading from a position of strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad