Around the NHL, 2016-2017 Part II

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
chayka already a candidate for gm of the year to me. acquired, #1LD, #1C and starting goalie without giving much up
From what I see he acquired a #2C, #3D and #2G. Giving up the #7 pick is a lot in my book, and I'm sure Murphy will be great in Chicago. Chayka doesn't have a track record, he is clearly under pressure to show results. Remains to be seen if it works out. He was active last summer too and the team was dreadful anyway.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
From what I see he acquired a #2C, #3D and #2G. Giving up the #7 pick is a lot in my book, and I'm sure Murphy will be great in Chicago. Chayka doesn't have a track record, he is clearly under pressure to show results. Remains to be seen if it works out. He was active last summer too and the team was dreadful anyway.

Agree on Stepan not being a #1C, but not sure you've watched enough of Hjalmarsson, he's a top pairing defenseman. As for Raanta, he's been a #2 behind Crawford and Lundqvist, just like Talbot was a #2 behind Lundqvist. Raanta has shown #1 capabilities.

Arizona still is a young team trying to build, but these are awesome moves for a team who is loaded with prospects and young players. Arizona has the luxury of being able to trade 1st round picks since they've accumulated so many.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Tell you what though, AWESOME move by the Rangers. Being proactive when they know their window is closing. That is exactly what you want to see your GM do when it's painfully obvious they won't be competing with the top teams.

Big problem is the Lundqvist deal. All of those big goalie contracts are terrible, I don't like any of them. If you're paying term + 5m+ for a goalie, it's going to bite you.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
chayka already a candidate for gm of the year to me. acquired, #1LD, #1C and starting goalie without giving much up

Are you referring to Stepan and Jhalmarsson? I know they're only 28 and 30 years old but again their games seem to be declining slightly. Stepan has 4x6.5 remaining...not excited if I was a Coyote. Excellent trade for the Rangers. You've got to scout your own players honestly and stay ahead of the curve.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well I like most of what Chayka has done so far. Liked that Hammer trade. But yeah, that Stepan trade is pretty questionable.

I guess they decided they wanted to be competitive or something all of a sudden?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I think Saad is a better fit overall for the Hawks, it gets Toews a winger and Kane didn't need Panarin to be highly productive. You're getting a much more complete player back.

I'm with you on saad, he's one of my favorite players. He brings different elements than panarin does. But saad has been a 50 point player with a great overall game at 24. While panarin has been a 70 point player with only two seasons under his belt and is 25. Also panarin and Kane worked perfect together as in he's not being carried.
Toews is so overrated

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Well I like most of what Chayka has done so far. Liked that Hammer trade. But yeah, that Stepan trade is pretty questionable.

I guess they decided they wanted to be competitive or something all of a sudden?

They've sucked for a long time. Their fans should be excited

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Agree on Stepan not being a #1D, but not sure you've watched enough of Hjalmarsson, he's a top pairing defenseman. As for Raanta, he's been a #2 behind Crawford and Lundqvist, just like Talbot was a #2 behind Lundqvist. Raanta has shown #1 capabilities.

Arizona still is a young team trying to build, but these are awesome moves for a team who is loaded with prospects and young players. Arizona has the luxury of being able to trade 1st round picks since they've accumulated so many.
Well, at best those guys are simply unproven in those roles, but that's a gamble.
Personally I've never seem Hammer as a top-pairing guy. Not good enough offensively and as a puck distributor. He's in his element as a shutdown #3.

Agreed on Arizona having the luxury to make some deals like this. A weak draft year is the time to do it too. Don't they're bad deals, just not the kind of players that drive a team. Nice to see OEL get some legit help at least.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Well, at best those guys are simply unproven in those roles, but that's a gamble.
Personally I've never seem Hammer as a top-pairing guy. Not good enough offensively and as a puck distributor. He's in his element as a shutdown #3.

Agreed on Arizona having the luxury to make some deals like this. A weak draft year is the time to do it too. Don't they're bad deals, just not the kind of players that drive a team. Nice to see OEL get some legit help at least.

He'll be paired with OEL, he doesn't need to produce that much offensively.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How can anyone sit there and lie and say they dont like what arizona did today

This is a team that has been awful for years

They have the second best group of prospects in the world

Now they need some proven nhl talent

They got it without sacrificing any of those high end prospects

Those who don't like it are simply jealous

If in three years Detroit's farm looks like Arizona's I would be on board trading for a 30 year old #2 centre and 28 year old top pairing dman with three Stanley cup rings

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Coyotes have a very deep prospect pool, and trading Stepan gives them someone who can very hard minutes while Strome and Merkley develop. These are necessary trades to transition the team from a basement rebuilder, to something greater. I think coyotes kicked ass this week.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Plus the Coyotes need to put out a decent product. They simply cannot afford to be a cellar dweller in that market.

Although i personally think that franchise is doomed. It's just a terrible market for hockey.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yes, these are moves GM's are PAID to make. Our team is the only exception. I'd take Milbury over Holland at this point.

It's definitely a stark contrast to what we saw Holland do from 09 to the present.

One GM made marginal signings that didn't really improve the roster.

The other traded away players that would have never been let go if they were in Detroit.

Super conservative

vs.

Super aggressive

The conservative approach simply cannot work in today's NHL. You have to be proactive or your organization slowly bleeds to death.

Now obviously Bowman's approach could fail spectacularly and he will be out of a job if his recent trades don't pan out. However it sure beats a guaranteed slow death.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The Red Wings should have done what the Rangers have done over the past few seasons. That should have been their model of staying competitive without tanking.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How can anyone sit there and lie and say they dont like what arizona did today

This is a team that has been awful for years

They have the second best group of prospects in the world

Now they need some proven nhl talent

They got it without sacrificing any of those high end prospects

Those who don't like it are simply jealous

If in three years Detroit's farm looks like Arizona's I would be on board trading for a 30 year old #2 centre and 28 year old top pairing dman with three Stanley cup rings
Subjective opinions are a real thing, they're not lies or jealousy just because they're not the same opinions you hold.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Sick times.

I don't like Chicago moves, they try to regain competitiveness but only bury themselves.

Arizona is crazy. I like their trades from value standpoint but I'm not sure if they're actually good long term. Coyotes are pretty broke, how are they going to pay all these salaries?

Rangers have embraced the youth movement but their approach seems extreme. I wonder if it will pay off because right now they just gutted their C depth. I guess they're offering lots of money to Shattenkirk as soon as permitted but how are they going to acquire at least a top6 C?

Blue Jackets are only getting better. Next powerhouse team?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I find NYR's moves a bit bizarre. The only guys on their club really hitting the wrong side of father time are nash and lundquist. Meanwhile, they have a good chunk of talent in their mid-late 20s, but I don't think there's anything there to take Stepan's spot. AFter picking up some youth/futures dealing Stepan, they still have a team that isn't far from contending. By most accounts, Shattenkirk wants to go there. Signing an aging UFA forward or two might make sense for them to try to eek a championship out of Lundquist the next year or two.

Arizona is crazy. I like their trades from value standpoint but I'm not sure if they're actually good long term. Coyotes are pretty broke, how are they going to pay all these salaries?

Even after the moves, I'm not sure Arizona is at the cap floor yet. They're not done spending just from necessity.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So I didn't watch this last night, but I'm catching the replay now and omg was the Hawks draft selection at 29 the most annoying thing ever. Who thought that was cool? Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad