Around the NHL, 2016-2017 Part II

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Sullivan guides a defense led by Maata, Schultz, Cole, and Daley to a Cup, he's the best coach named Mike. I don't care who Pittsburgh has up front, that defense shouldn't be dominating the playoffs, but he's got them working like an unstoppable machine. It's ridiculous how many holes each of those defenseman have in their individual games and yet they're going completely unexposed. How many Jack Adams winners is Sullivan going to beat before someone figures his team out?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Sullivan guides a defense led by Maata, Schultz, Cole, and Daley to a Cup, he's the best coach named Mike. I don't care who Pittsburgh has up front, that defense shouldn't be dominating the playoffs, but he's got them working like an unstoppable machine. It's ridiculous how many holes each of those defenseman have in their individual games and yet they're going completely unexposed. How many Jack Adams winners is Sullivan going to beat before someone figures his team out?

Schultz was trash last night and they won 6-2.

The Toronto media sure look dumb for how hard they harped on Phil Kessel.

I really hope Fleury comes back down to earth, I think he's the biggest reason they've done this well so far. If you had told me he would have a .936 sv% in the playoffs, I would have laughed in your face. I have to think (I hope) that will regress soon. When it does, they won't be outshot 25-40 and win games.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

I really hope Fleury comes back down to earth, I think he's the biggest reason they've done this well so far. If you had told me he would have a .936 sv% in the playoffs, I would have laughed in your face. I have to think (I hope) that will regress soon. When it does, they won't be outshot 25-40 and win games.

Didn't see the whole game last night, but I've watched almost every game the Pens have been in this year, and that defense is as seamless as any Cup winner I've seen. They've had some off moments, sure, but I'd say 90% of their performance through 7 games has been solid as a rock.

As for Fleury, he has been great, but Pittsburgh is incredibly effective when they collapse. Its annoying how good they are at pushing shots to the outside when they collapse and eating them up when anything gets close. After the Columbus series, I thought Columbus' lack of efficacy (or efficiency, for that matter) in the offensive zone was because their elite talent was so inexperienced, among others, but they're making Washington look exactly the same.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Fleury has a penchant for uncharacteristic dominating stretches. If the hockey gods will it Fleury will be elite as long as necessary.

Like overtime game 5 in 2008. Or games 6 and 7 of 2009.

**** you, Flower.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ryan Ellis has become a really incredible defenseman this season. Nashville really knows how to develop the blueline.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Weak call, if that is a 4th liner no penalty is called

The Crosby thing? Yeah, Niskanen's crosscheck doesn't look that bad. It really looks like Ovi had a bit of a slew foot there that set that whole thing in motion, though.

There are other superstars that don't get that call.

Hope he can come back soon, doesn't look likely. I am not sure he didn't shred his knee or ankle during that either.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There are other superstars that don't get that call.

Hope he can come back soon, doesn't look likely. I am not sure he didn't shred his knee or ankle during that either.

There are, but he's Crosby. He's really the closest thing the league has to a face for the game and he's had concussion issues. I'd be more surprised if he doesn't get the call there.

The Caps are still going to try to find a way to blow this, aren't they?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Washington imploding. They really missed Niskanen for the last few minutes there.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
sure hope the wings don't attempt to sign shattenkirk to some ridiculous contract. pretty clear from these playoffs he isn't a #1

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They actually remind me a great deal of the early 90's to mid 90's Wings.

Yeah well the wings weren't cup contenders. Didn't have a choker label and more. Some people might have called yzerman a choker or the team chokers after being swept. But that usually happens just because they are bitter. It hasn't been like 10 straight years of being the best or second best and not even making the conference finals

They might have been contenders for 3-4 years if you wanna stretch it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad