Around the NHL #14 - Offseason and junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You can buy out hurt players??

Maybe he's been medically cleared? Either that or he consented to the buyout.

Or maybe (very outside chance) since he's publicly admitted to lying to doctors they are able to buy him out

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Phaneuf @ 50% retained for Adam Fox

Solidifies our D core

A) it's Phaneuf and I know someone close to the organization. Let's just say Phaneuf will never be back. Ever. Under any circumstance.

B) Fox should be our most untradeable prospect imo. His potential is elite. Maybe a Brodin/Dumba for Fox deal I could live with.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
A) it's Phaneuf and I know someone close to the organization. Let's just say Phaneuf will never be back. Ever. Under any circumstance.

I've heard very similar from an acquaintance in the organization. Not overly high up for this particular one, so it could just be gossip. But smoke and fires and whatnot.

I also highly doubt we are on his 12 team list as well.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
> finally gets out from under Wideman's contract
> trades for Phaneuf

53e.png

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Don't want Phaneuf back here.

See I thought that about Phaneuf in Ottawa even, but I can't deny how much he helped solidify the second paring and the defense as a whole in Ottawa.

It was a tire fire last season when Methot was hurt and Ceci wasn't playing well. Karlsson was pretty much the only legit NHL top four guy for a while.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
> finally gets out from under Wideman's contract
> trades for Phaneuf

53e.png

Phaneuf at 3.5 for 4 years is far from a Wideman level anchor contract.

And he's oodles better defensively than he used to be. I'd even go as far as to call him as more of a Shutdown guy with a hard slapshot that can play 2nd PP than an offensive defenseman now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Only way Phaneuf makes sense in Calgary is if Brouwer goes the other way, and there's retention.
I'd rather pay Phaneuf 5 million or 5.5 than Brouwer at 4.5

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Despite the expansion draft, it's a pretty big ask for Ottawa to pay Dion 14 million not to play for the Sens, given they already operate under an internal cap.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
See I thought that about Phaneuf in Ottawa even, but I can't deny how much he helped solidify the second paring and the defense as a whole in Ottawa.

It was a tire fire last season when Methot was hurt and Ceci wasn't playing well. Karlsson was pretty much the only legit NHL top four guy for a while.

It's not even so much his level of play I would worry about (I am sure he would look fine on our 2nd pairing). I just think given his history here he would be under the microscope. I don't see a scenario where it works out well for the Flames.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Phaneuf @ 50% retained for Adam Fox

Solidifies our D core

For all of five minutes. Then he's lost to Vegas and the Flames are stuck with Brouwer too boot.

Senators only want to move Phaneuf prior to the expansion draft so they can protect someone else.

If the Flames were at all interested in Phaneuf, it'd be after the expansion draft, so they wouldn't lose him for nothing. Treliving's already said numerous times he's not interested in adding players right now because it'd screw up the protection lists.

Then there's the fact that Phaneuf's a left hand shot which means he'd being playing on the bottom pairing under Guluztan.

Pointless all around. There's no scenario in which Phaneuf to the Flames makes any sense.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nick Counsins and Meerick Madsen been traded to Arizona for a 5th and Brendan Warren

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
AZ is quickly becoming one of my least favourite teams because of their GM. I can't wait to see who is claimed off of their team.

On another note, I would 100% trade for Despres if retained on. Could be a fantastic steal for the bottom pairing if healthy.

EDIT: He's going to bought out, so even better. Just sign him to a 1 year deal, unless he's finished playing.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Only reason why Id want Phaneuf back is because people used to deliberately steal is truck after a Flames loss. And with his charming personality I always found that to be hilarious.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Interesting

From the O.C. Register:

“There have been a number of unique aspects related to Mr. Despres’ situation and we and the Players’ Association have worked together to help define the appropriate collectively bargained rules that can be applied to his contract,†Daly wrote in an e-mail. “We now have a conceptual agreement on treatment and we are in the process of documenting that resolution.â€

The union has apparently signed off on it, with NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon saying, “The NHLPA is engaged in settlement discussions with the NHL regarding Simon Despres contract and the parties hope to have this matter resolved soon.â€

Sounds like the NHLPA was actually involved in the buyout process, so I think we can rule out them fighting it

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
AZ is quickly becoming one of my least favourite teams because of their GM. I can't wait to see who is claimed off of their team.

On another note, I would 100% trade for Despres if retained on. Could be a fantastic steal for the bottom pairing if healthy.

EDIT: He's going to bought out, so even better. Just sign him to a 1 year deal, unless he's finished playing.

Of any UFA Dman available, I'd gun for Despres hard.
The guy just got paid, so it's not like he's going to be hard-up for cash. I'd give him a year or two at 1-2 million (IF he's healthy to play, and he should be, he was healthy enough to be bought out). Then again, this looks tricky, and I doubt he plays again :laugh:

Has the potential to really solidify that top 4. Love, love, love, love the way the guy plays (hard hitting) and he isn't a black hole that can't skate. Would be a great Brodie compliment.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree Volica, Despres is exactly a guy we should gamble on at the right price. I'd still re-sign Stone as well for the 3rd pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad