Around the NHL #14 - Offseason and junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Jokipakka - Nakladal = one of the best and most complete all-around 3rd pairs we've had over the last four, six years

Jokipakka - Engelland = one of the dozens of terrible 3rd pairs we've had

Engelland = "NHLer" people want for 2+M 1-way

Nakladal = "non-NHLer"

Jokipakka = non-NHLer

:laugh:

I can't be the only one who sees the hilarity.

I mean, possibly the reason Joki-Engelland was so bad is because one of them was a non-NHLer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Engelland is an NHLer, btw. Much as you can't admit it.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Jokipakka - Nakladal = one of the best and most complete all-around 3rd pairs we've had over the last four, six years

lmfao

Neither of them will ever sniff the NHL again. Both are ATROCIOUS.

I can't take your posts serious. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Nakladl showed he was a capable bottom pairing guy in his small sample.

Jokipakka is no good.

Engelland is the best of the three (when used correctly) but I don't care for him back at anything more than 1-2 years 1m AAV.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Nakladl showed he was a capable bottom pairing guy in his small sample.

Jokipakka is no good.

Then got passed over by every team in waivers multiple times, and skirted back to Europe.

Capable indeed. The hard-on the few posters on here for him is ridiculous

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Nakladal = "non-NHLer"

Jokipakka = non-NHLer

Engelland is terrible; Jykri and Nak weren't a whole lot better, but certainly better. Though being fair, Nakladal and Jyrki were a really solid third pairing (the one I was most comfortable with over the past 5 years at least).
Engelland makes everyone around him worse; yet the blame for that third pairing was put on Bartkowski (even though Engelland had the three season long history of dragging partners down).

I mean I see it, but for some reason Engelland carved out a niche in Calgary as an 'unsung hero' because he can step up on a pairing with Brodie, drag him down... and throw some fists at someone (yet not deter people from taking shots at our team). I'm thankful for Engelland during that stretch where Gio went down, he helped us make the playoffs... but the guy's fringe NHL and best suited being in the pressbox most nights.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
lmfao

I can't take your posts serious. Seriously think about your posts before you make the rest of our fan base look bad.

Honestly, Nakladal is pretty much what you wanted from a bottom pair guy.
In his season in Calgary, I thought he was pretty darn good. Positive possession player, was scoring more than being scored on, made his pairing better... I really had no issues with the guy. Jyrki looked so good, and then fell off. He had a good year with Nak and Benn his first split season in Calgary.

I think people really ended up liking him because he wasn't hurting the team.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
lmfao

I can't take your posts serious. [mod]

Don't worry, the feeling is mutual. And appeals to authority don't make you right.

Engelland is terrible; Jykri and Nak weren't a whole lot better, but certainly better. Though being fair, Nakladal and Jyrki were a really solid third pairing (the one I was most comfortable with over the past 5 years at least).
Engelland makes everyone around him worse; yet the blame for that third pairing was put on Bartkowski (even though Engelland had the three season long history of dragging partners down).

I mean I see it, but for some reason Engelland carved out a niche in Calgary as an 'unsung hero' because he can step up on a pairing with Brodie, drag him down... and throw some fists at someone (yet not deter people from taking shots at our team). I'm thankful for Engelland during that stretch where Gio went down, he helped us make the playoffs... but the guy's fringe NHL and best suited being in the pressbox most nights.

What's I find hilarious, specifically, is how Engelland is a Black Widow. Jokipakka is just another victim of the Engelland effect. Do I think he was particularly great? Nah. But when you play with Engelland every mistake gets magnified and every good play is inconsequential. I can't think of one player since 2014 who has benefitted from playing with this guy. Wideman? For all his flaws he was still a more capable partner for Brodie. Smid-Engelland? Injuries aside they were a toxic pairing. Diaz? He actually had a pretty darn good thing going with Schlemko after being a disaster with The Black Widow. Even Bartkowski, is a guy who had some general abilities that allowed him to compliment Boychuk on a President's Trophy winner. Jokipakka was a flawed player, but Engelland managed to make those flaws all the more prominent and the strengths were lost somewhere in the mix. The Stockholm Syndrome with this guy is real... we have absolutely zero evidence, video or otherwise, that he can make a 3rd pair work, whether in Calgary or Pittsburgh, yet his partner always gets the brunt of the criticism. How for three years we can't seem to acquire one #6 LHD who is an average replacement level NHLer while other teams up north can plop in twenty year olds with the hockey sense of a brick and get steady results...

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Engelland has been pretty solid the last two years. OKG use your eyes, they will tell you a lot more then your statlines ever will.

The solution to our blue line problem is not Nakladal or Jokkipakka. They make too many glaring mistakes. And that's what your shot differentials don't tell you, guys that make bone-headed plays that lead to goals. What do Dennis Wideman's advanced stats say? I don't care, because he's horrendous.

Guys like Russell, Engelland are helpful because, while they may not control the game, they rarely make a bad reads defensively that costs goals.

I've been saying for years that Engelland needs a skating puck mover (Kulak) or he's going to get pinned in (Bartkowski/Smid). But in his own zone he's a good player. He just needs the right partner.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Engelland has been pretty solid the last two years. OKG use your eyes, they will tell you a lot more then your statlines ever will.

What statlines? I do use my eyes. This is the most garbage type of comment - painting anyone who might use a statline as exclusively relying on them because they disagree with you.

The solution to our blue line problem is not Nakladal or Jokkipakka. They make too many glaring mistakes.

Your use of the word 'glaring' is an issue. Just because something is more obvious does not mean it is the reason a player is bad. I am as guilty of it as anyone with Justin Schultz. He made/makes glaring mistakes too. Jokipakka didn't play himself out of the league because of glaring mistakes. Was he outmatched with Dougie in our top 4? Sure, but there was a reason he was tried there, because he had offensive and puck moving skills that could help the team, and did help the team the season prior when he was paired with Nakladal.

Jokipakka wasn't however, good enough to babysit Engelland. It cost him. And next year it will cost the next Jokipakka, and so forth. You can't uproot a problem by pouring water on it. You should be able to plug in guys like Jokipakka and Wotherspoon and still stay above water.

Do I want Jokipakka back? Not at all. But that doesn't mean we need to be searching for Scott Niedermayer: Model 3rd Pair just to make Engelland competent. Our third pair needs to be constructed around a #5 that can make Jokipakka types play to their strengths rather than their weaknesses. A #5 who needs a strong #5 to be a passable #6 is... not a #5. Jokipakka is no less capable than any other #6. That doesn't make him great or even especially good... it just means there's a fundamental problem with our team philosophy.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Nakladal = "non-NHLer"

Jokipakka = non-NHLer

Your small sample size bias is ridiculous here bud.

Nak-Joki barely played that many games together. By that same logic when Russell and Wideman stepped up after Gio went down they were a legit top pair.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
"You want me to start in the what-League?"

I personally like to imagine Brad on the phone on hold for a solid 37 minutes as Chicago and Rutta come to an agreement.

"Oh Brad, you're still here? Yeah, nevermind."

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I wonder if the NHL will consider some type of import draft. Because the Hawks are starting to get a significant edge to add these players each year. I have to imagine some of the other GMs are getting a little butt hurt from the signings.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder if the NHL will consider some type of import draft. Because the Hawks are starting to get a significant edge to add these players each year. I have to imagine some of the other GMs are getting a little butt hurt from the signings.

Why would the NHL need an import draft when imports already get drafted in the entry draft? Any team could have drafted them when they were draft eligible

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
I know this is not the right thread, but couldnt find a better one.

Do any of you guys remember Jon Rheault from the Heat? He´s the latest signing of my local club -- what can I expect from him? Consider that Jamie Lundmark (ex flame) was our #1C over the past few years :laugh: - Should he be better considering that Lundmark is 36 now?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I know this is not the right thread, but couldnt find a better one.

Do any of you guys remember Jon Rheault from the Heat? He´s the latest signing of my local club -- what can I expect from him? Consider that Jamie Lundmark (ex flame) was our #1C over the past few years :laugh: - Should he be better considering that Lundmark is 36 now?

I do remember him! Didn't he have a stint with the Panthers? Anywho, I recall his AHL numbers were pretty good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I do remember him! Didn't he have a stint with the Panthers? Anywho, I recall his AHL numbers were pretty good.
He was a half a point per game guy in his AHL career and about the same in the German league. He was over a point per game in the Swiss B league last year. How that compares to the Austrian league, I'm not sure.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
He was a half a point per game guy in his AHL career and about the same in the German league. He was over a point per game in the Swiss B league last year. How that compares to the Austrian league, I'm not sure.

From my experience of reading stats the EBEL compares to the ECHL - sometimes players exceed expectations and would even fit into the AHL but sometimes they play even worse than the ECHL.

Derek Ryan (66p and 84p in 54games) came from the EBEL to the AHL to the NHL (Hurricanes) and is prolly the best player the league had recently.
Raffls little brother also came from the EBEL, but failed in the AHL due too lack of skills and injury problems.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From my experience of reading stats the EBEL compares to the ECHL - sometimes players exceed expectations and would even fit into the AHL but sometimes they play even worse than the ECHL.

Derek Ryan (66p and 84p in 54games) came from the EBEL to the AHL to the NHL (Hurricanes) and is prolly the best player the league had recently.
Raffls little brother also came from the EBEL, but failed in the AHL due too lack of skills and injury problems.
Rheault was quite successful in the ECHL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The salary cap is expected to stay at $73 million as the players do not want to use the 5% escalator. If they have a change of heart the cap could rise to the neighborhood of 75.5 million

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not sure where to post this, but here's how the rest of the month shakes up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad