Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Interesting video about how 12 Goalies went before Hellebuyck in the 2012 Draft.

Skip to 3:40.

This video got me thinking...

The Sens picked Winnipeg product, Chris Dreiger, in the 3rd round.

Then Winnipeg's very next pick after the Sens selected Drieger was Connor Hellebuyck....

I wonder if the Sens saved Wpg from picking Dreiger?

Winnipeg is known for preferring* "local" players that are comfortable with the cold weather (due to retention issues)

So If they planned on picking a goalie with their 5th Round Pick (Only having Pavelec at the time).

Then I wouldnt be surprised if they had their eye on Dreiger before the Sens snatched him up..

This Butterfly effect may have led to Wpg picking the next best available Goalie in Connor Hellebuyck?

Just a Theory.

-B33R LEAGUE

View attachment 839682

doubtful, we've also passed on plenty of local talent and went with our draft board instead

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Dreiger was considered to be the better goalie (at that time) and also happened to be from Winnipeg.

I guess well never know, but its certainly not inconceivable that they would have picked Dreiger before Hellebuyck, had the Sens not taken him right before the Jets picked Helly
You can play this what if game with any number of players in the league. Unless you got a team scouting list or some sort of information on it it doesn’t mean anything.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Pretty obvious why the charade in the Arizona desert still plays out with the ownership now pretending to build an arena on land they may or may not get in an auction!

Bottom line is that is as long as the team sits there, expansion fees for a new team in SLC, Atlanta or Houston are still in play!
Ya the NHL isn't throwing away a billion $. That's why we have the Jets today, we weren't an expansion market. If the Coyotes move to one of those markets it will involve huge compensation to the league.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Oilers Hyman has to have the best value contract in the NHL, he's about to hit 50 goals, 5.5M for another 4 years. Some may say playing with McDavid has it's benefits but still 50 goals is quite an achievement.

It’s an achievement for sure

I don’t think it will be his norm going forward

Hopefully this year is peak oilers and they lose in the first round and they never see a shot for a cup again lol

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He deserved way more.
I like rough hockey, but that blatant stick to the face should have got him 10 games minimum.
He's been fined 3 times and suspended 6 times.
Piece of shit as far as I'm concerned.
Not as bad as Boschman on Sandstrom though.

• Wow
Reactions: macmaroon

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Laurie was quite the stick man back in the day. Absolutely hated the guy until he pulled on the Jets Jersey.

Come to think of it these kind of players are thing of the past. The art lost .... Mr Hockey was very good at it. People would have literal @#$& fits if you put this guy out the ice today.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Is it just me, but why does it always seem that Jets competition in the Central are playing dogs almost every time we need out of town help. Avs v Jackets and Stars v Penguins tonite. I’m not expecting any help there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad