Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Based on the thread on the main board, people are really taking our depth for granted. I mean, with a healthy lineup, our 4th line will consist of Barron-Name-Iaffallo. I mean where can you even fit Perfetti? You can’t.
If Perfetti gets going and Iafallo keeps it up on the Scheifele line our fourth line could be:

perfetti Names vilardi

That’s crazy!

I also don’t buy into Perfetti could not “fit” into what a fourth line is. We had AJF on our 4th. It was just fine.

The Canucks had the sedin bros on their 4th line at the start of their career.

A legitimate puck possession and scoring threat 4th line would be hard to defend against.

That being said - I think benching of perfetti is warranted his offence and possession and hockey IQ just haven’t been there. He has looked small and slow. He will get it figured out though - and when he does - look out!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If Perfetti gets going and Iafallo keeps it up on the Scheifele line our fourth line could be:

perfetti Names vilardi

That’s crazy!

I also don’t buy into Perfetti could not “fit” into what a fourth line is. We had AJF on our 4th. It was just fine.

The Canucks had the sedin bros on their 4th line at the start of their career.

A legitimate puck possession and scoring threat 4th line would be hard to defend against.

That being said - I think benching of perfetti is warranted his offence and possession and hockey IQ just haven’t been there. He has looked small and slow. He will get it figured out though - and when he does - look out!
Except that anyone other than Perfetti makes the 4th line better as we have seen...

Reactions: Dirtbag151

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
I didn't realize Boston had that many OT losses. The Gary point does my head in. I've done my best not to think about it this year but as I'm currently bedridden, I have more than enough time for a rant. (This likely isn't a novel frustration by now)

It's such a farce. Why should a team be given an extra point, just because they went into extra time? The Bruins have lost 15 games in OT and for that they've taken 15 points. What? 15 points for losing is not an inconsequential number here. They sit atop the NHL standings with less wins than 6 teams! Including our Winnipeg Jets. Florida should be ahead of them in the division on merit. Boston is just better at losing though, that's the NHL. If you're good at dragging out a loss, you're rewarded.

A single point swing is way too small a difference for a loss vs a win.

The gulf between 2 or 1 is miniscule compared to 3 or 1. Football has it right, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. If I ran the league, that's the first thing I'd implement. A tie after 10 minutes of OT is a fair result. Sometimes a contest just ends in a stalemate. By making it 3 points for a win, you're putting much more value on coming out of a game with a victory. I'd wager, with that system, very few games would end in a tie. And if 3 for a win would make NHL point totals too high, then keep everything the same. Just get rid of the God forsaken loser point.

It should all be so simple, but it never is when Gary and the owners figure out a way to make nonsense profitable. Sometimes I fantasize about holding him upside down over the edge of a fire escape, relentlessly shaking him, making coins drop from his pockets, forever.

The nice thing to take away from all this is Winnipeg gets the job done in 60 minutes, better than any other team in the NHL. That makes me happy.

Play 10 minutes of OT and if you score, you get the two points and loser gets nothing. That should deter teams from skating around for 5 minutes and try to get the two points.

If you are still tied after 10 minutes, then the loser point comes into play

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I generally agree with you. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 1 OT loss, sufficiently addresses the problem. (I kind of like the 3v3 pond hockey, at least its still a team game.) But the league wants it to look like the standings are closer than they really are, so that's why we have this dumb system of adding an extra standings point for going into OT.

Personally I'd remove the coin flip shoot outs and just give them 1 point each after 10 minutes of OT. If you can't score within that time, you deserve fewer points, and you'd see far more risks taken in OT (and at the end of regulation).

In the days of 5v5 OT, things were a bit boring, teams were far too conservative not wanting to lose a point.
I don't think it would make that much of a difference in terms of how tight things are. And teams could make up ground more quickly with those 3 point wins. I think it could add excitement on the whole.

Reactions: FonRiesen

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Pretty obvious why the charade in the Arizona desert still plays out with the ownership now pretending to build an arena on land they may or may not get in an auction!

Bottom line is that is as long as the team sits there, expansion fees for a new team in SLC, Atlanta or Houston are still in play!
Yup expansion fees could be 800M, maybe more

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Interesting video about how 12 Goalies went before Hellebuyck in the 2012 Draft.

Skip to 3:40.

This video got me thinking...

The Sens picked Winnipeg product, Chris Dreiger, in the 3rd round.

Then Winnipeg's very next pick after the Sens selected Drieger was Connor Hellebuyck....

I wonder if the Sens saved Wpg from picking Dreiger?

Winnipeg is known for preferring* "local" players that are comfortable with the cold weather (due to retention issues)

So If they planned on picking a goalie with their 5th Round Pick (Only having Pavelec at the time).

Then I wouldnt be surprised if they had their eye on Dreiger before the Sens snatched him up..

This Butterfly effect may have led to Wpg picking the next best available Goalie in Connor Hellebuyck?

Just a Theory.

-B33R LEAGUE

1711078079778.jpeg

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting video about how 12 Goalies went before Hellebuyck in the 2012 Draft.

This video got me thinking...

The Sens picked Winnipeg product, Chris Dreiger, in the 3rd round.

Then Winnipeg's very next pick after the Sens selected Drieger was Connor Hellebuyck....

I wonder if the Sens saved Wpg from picking Dreiger?

Winnipeg is known for picking local players at the Draft (due to retention issues [cold weather]).

So If they planned on picking a goalie with their 5th Round Pick (Only having Pavelec at the time).

Then I wouldnt be surprised if they had their eye on Dreiger before the Sens snatched him up..

This Butterfly effect may have lead to Wpg picking the next best available Goalie in Connor Hellebuyck?

Just a Theory.

-B33R LEAGUE
What local players have we drafted?

Reactions: WolfHouse

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Well I hope they're drafting for BPA not for where they were born and raised.

Dreiger was considered to be the better goalie (at that time) and also happened to be from Winnipeg.

I guess well never know, but its certainly not inconceivable that they would have picked Dreiger before Hellebuyck, had the Sens not taken him right before the Jets picked Helly

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1