Around the League XXXIII: The Regular Season is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Officials/new rule change turn a regulation loss into a win for the Preds. That was ugly to watch.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
What happened?
Preds down a goal with 3 minutes in regulation got a pretty questionable full two minute 5 on 3. Preds scored and then flyers challenged offsides. Call got confirmed so the Preds went back on the 5on3 and scored again.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Preds down a goal with 3 minutes in regulation got a pretty questionable full two minute 5 on 3. Preds scored and then flyers challenged offsides. Call got confirmed so the Preds went back on the 5on3 and scored again.

Flyers fans are pissed at Hakstol as in their view it wasn't even close, so sounds like it was more questionable on their choice to challenge knowing it'd likely lead to a new 5 on 3.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Flyers fans are pissed at Hakstol as in their view it wasn't even close, so sounds like it was more questionable on their choice to challenge knowing it'd likely lead to a new 5 on 3.
I didn't get a good look as my only feed was in SD for some reason but it did not appear to be a good challenge. To be fair though in that situation unless your 100% sure it's offsides, it's not a good challenge.

Regardless it's a really dumb rule. That wasn't a way you want to watch a team win a hockey game.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

If I'm Stan, I'm picking up the phone and doing everything i possibly can to grab Galch while Bergevin still has a job. Bergevin does seem to like his vets, maybe adding something to AA could make a deal work. Probably wishful thinking but Chucky centering a third line of Sharp and Kitty could really fun :nod:
I like the rule change and this cautionary tale if it lessens the number of B.S. offside challenges.
But it's unnecessary when less extreme rules can accomplish the same thing. If you are gonna make challenges legal, why shouldn't Hakstol be able to use his challenge as a toss up to make sure that a critical call got called right? That's exactly what challenge rules are there for. Either make offsides challenges illegal or let coaches challenge at will. It's telling that the offsides challenge is the only pro sports challenge that comes with a penalty more extreme than losing your timeout. If NHL is actively trying to get coaches to not challenge offsides, why not just get rid of the damn thing FFS? It's clearly not working anyway. This rule was the nhl putting a band-aid on a cut that needs stiches.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

If I'm Stan, I'm picking up the phone and doing everything i possibly can to grab Galch while Bergevin still has a job. Bergevin does seem to like his vets, maybe adding something to AA could make a deal work. Probably wishful thinking but Chucky centering a third line of Sharp and Kitty could really fun :nod:

But it's unnecessary when less extreme rules can accomplish the same thing. If you are gonna make challenges legal, why shouldn't Hakstol be able to use his challenge as a toss up to make sure that a critical call got called right? That's exactly what challenge rules are there for. Either make offsides challenges illegal or let coaches challenge at will. It's telling that the offsides challenge is the only pro sports challenge that comes with a penalty more extreme than losing your timeout. If NHL is actively trying to get coaches to not challenge offsides, why not just get rid of the damn thing FFS? It's clearly not working anyway. This rule was the nhl putting a band-aid on a cut that needs stiches.

Maybe AA and a pick or AA and Forsling but then the hawk need a vet. D.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I look at it as a gimmick move to bring more offense while accomplishing the goal of limiting challenges. At this point, we'll take anything we can get to increase offense.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Maybe AA and a pick or AA and Forsling but then the hawk need a vet. D.

AA and Forsling is something to shop around. I'm not sure you couldn't do better than Gally with an offer like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad