Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I watched the 1st one against the Jets and never tuned in another game before 7:30pm.

I have no idea why this “show” wasn’t done prior to 7pm and why other teams pre game in house entertainment wasn’t shown by the network. Likely because if you aren’t a fan of that team you don’t want to watch it.
They are 2 hours behind us correct? I can see that as a problem for locals

Not aimed at you... Never understood the hate for the show, if ppl hate it so much and it ruins the game, tune in later. Nbd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They are 2 hours behind us correct? I can see that as a problem for locals

Not aimed at you... Never understood the hate for the show, if ppl hate it so much and it ruins the game, tune in later. Nbd

Then they should change the start time to 730. I thought the show was garbage myself and don't need to see it. I also agree with other league people where it disrupts things and should be done on the time allowed between warm up and puck drop.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Then they should change the start time to 730. I thought the show was garbage myself and don't need to see it. I also agree with other league people where it disrupts things and should be done on the time allowed between warm up and puck drop.

If you know the game will likely start at 730, from viewing perspective, what is the difference between it being announced start at 7 vs 730 really? I am a bit ignorant to the whole thing, I saw the first 10 seconds of the Jets one and did something else prior to puck drop. for subsequent games i didn't tune into 715-720ish, to me its NBD.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If you know the game will likely start at 730, from viewing perspective, what is the difference between it being announced start at 7 vs 730 really? I am a bit ignorant to the whole thing, I saw the first 10 seconds of the Jets one and did something else prior to puck drop. for subsequent games i didn't tune into 715-720ish, to me its NBD.

It is more a big deal for the players who are used to having their warm up x minutes before the game. The Vegas shtick added an additional 20 minutes of time which imo can have an impact.

I also didn't tune in for any games played there until 725ish. They are more than welcome to put on a show but it should be done in the standard time that is allowed. They should not be allowed to continually push the start times back as imo that should be standardized across the league.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It is more a big deal for the players who are used to having their warm up x minutes before the game. The Vegas shtick added an additional 20 minutes of time which imo can have an impact.

I also didn't tune in for any games played there until 725ish. They are more than welcome to put on a show but it should be done in the standard time that is allowed. They should not be allowed to continually push the start times back as imo that should be standardized across the league.
it seemed like the same thing was happening in WSH with some pre-game entertainment, i think that was league mandated though and didn't affect player prep (could be wrong). IMO players should be able to adjust. It is not like they are unaware that there is something going on pre-game (in other words - it wasn't a surprise or come out of left field), no really different than any other ceremony

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not too fuzzed about Vegas doing things in the Vegas way. The usual bland and boring just doesn't feel right for a team playing in a city known for its entertainment. Let them be different; to be honest, this sport could use something different for a change.

(like a bunch of new referees, common sense and a functional rulebook for the postseason)

Different OK. But what they are doing is pure ****. Should be flushed down a sewer.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It isn't just irritating to watch. It is irritating and embarrassing just to know it is there. By watching, by being a 'fan', I am associating with the NHL. I find it embarrassing to be associated with that. If it catches on and spreads I will be forced to dissociate with the NHL as it stoops to the level of Pro Wrastlin'.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It isn't just irritating to watch. It is irritating and embarrassing just to know it is there. By watching, by being a 'fan', I am associating with the NHL. I find it embarrassing to be associated with that. If it catches on and spreads I will be forced to dissociate with the NHL as it stoops to the level of Pro Wrastlin'.

Didn't know people could get this but-hurt. If you are getting emotional and would quit watching hockey over a 15-20 min pre game show, perhaps watching professional sports as a whole is not for you.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Didn't know people could get this but-hurt. If you are getting emotional and would quit watching hockey over a 15-20 min pre game show, perhaps watching professional sports as a whole is not for you.

what exactly do you feel is compelling enough about the Vegas pregame "entertainment" that the start time of a Stanley Cup final game needs to be delayed 15 minutes so fans around the league can see it?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
what exactly do you feel is compelling enough about the Vegas pregame "entertainment" that the start time of a Stanley Cup final game needs to be delayed 15 minutes so fans around the league can see it?
I have never watched it. I do something else for the 15 whole minutes prior to turning the tv on. I dont see the big deal.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
when a game starts at 8, i expect it to start around 8, not 830
ok, but you know this show will be on. it is not a surprise or coming out of left field. you are watching a 2.5 hr+ game, is an extra 15-20 mins really gonna be killing you?

i am not advocating the show should be on or not, it literally makes 0 difference to me. if you are watching a 2.5 hr+ game, whether it starts at 7:05 vs 7:20 is so immaterial and minuscule to me. do something else for 15 minutes. You know there will be this show on prior to puck-drop, budget your time so that you don't get fazed and have to quit watching hockey because of it lol.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Jets/Knights one on youtube is 5 mins and 16 seconds long you're telling me this 5 min and 16 second "show" ruined your viewing experience? cmon lol. There are way worse things to complain about in regards to the NHL than this

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It's a discussion board people can be as butt hurt as they want.
I agree with those who say it's awful.... it is bloody awful.
So our narrow minded views are as relevant as yours.

Reactions: untouchable21

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You don't seem to understand. :laugh: It isn't a 15-20 minute pre-game show. It is that kind of tasteless, undignified, BS tripe that I cannot abide.

I didn't say I would quit watching hockey. I said I would quit supporting - and watching - the NHL if that garbage were to become the norm. At what point does it become no better than Pro Wrestling? There would still be international hockey and amateur hockey.

What Vegas does is an insult. If you can't see the insult ..... enjoy the show. :)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You don't seem to understand. :laugh: It isn't a 15-20 minute pre-game show. It is that kind of tasteless, undignified, BS tripe that I cannot abide.

I didn't say I would quit watching hockey. I said I would quit supporting - and watching - the NHL if that garbage were to become the norm. At what point does it become no better than Pro Wrestling? There would still be international hockey and amateur hockey.

What Vegas does is an insult. If you can't see the insult ..... enjoy the show. :)

Honestly I feel we should even remove the anthems. There's players in this league from all over the world, what makes us so damn important that we need to have our anthems belted out before every game. Then again I've never really seen any importance for nationalism in sports outside of international competition.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
ok, but you know this show will be on. it is not a surprise or coming out of left field. you are watching a 2.5 hr+ game, is an extra 15-20 mins really gonna be killing you?

i am not advocating the show should be on or not, it literally makes 0 difference to me. if you are watching a 2.5 hr+ game, whether it starts at 7:05 vs 7:20 is so immaterial and minuscule to me. do something else for 15 minutes. You know there will be this show on prior to puck-drop, budget your time so that you don't get fazed and have to quit watching hockey because of it lol.
it's like catching a bus or a plane. if departure is 8 PM, i plan for that departure. a 20 minute delay won't kill me, but yeah, i have better things to do with my time than watch the silliness.

Reactions: surixon and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
it's like catching a bus or a plane. if departure is 8 PM, i plan for that departure. a 20 minute delay won't kill me, but yeah, i have better things to do with my time than watch the silliness.

agreed.
both the Caps and Jets versions of the shows were 5mins in length on youtube, id be impressed if a WPG bus was only late 5mins :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

As HannuJ said there are better things to do than watch the silliness.

Don't let it bother you man it'll be ok.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly I feel we should even remove the anthems. There's players in this league from all over the world, what makes us so damn important that we need to have our anthems belted out before every game. Then again I've never really seen any importance for nationalism in sports outside of international competition.

I've never liked the anthems. It just seems inappropriate to me. It is not our nations competing. Harmless though.

The origin of the tradition:
From the archives: History of national anthem in sports

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Exactly, this is the pinnacle league in the world. Their product that the viewers tune in for is the actual game. The league losses credibility imo when they advertise on their platforms that the game will start at x time only to have it constantly start 25 minutes late in one particular venue. Also unlike the Airport example where often times the flights are delayed for things outside the control of the airlines such as weather etc, the Knights/NHL can clearly control when and how long their pre-game ceremonies are. If it is so important for Vegas to make a theatrical production of their pre-game show for their fans then by all means do so, but there should be no way the NHL should allow the pregame show to substantially impact the start time of their product. No reason whatsoever that you can't start the pregame at say 6:40 and have it wrapped up around 7pm and then get the game started on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad