Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Find someone who'll hold you the way Backstrom and Ovie held each other last night.

Think of all the dissapointment and heartbreak those two have endured over the years playing on stacked teams but never getting past the second round. Kind of the Shawshank redemption crawl up until last night and there they were standing together with the cup.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I'm very happy for Ovechkin and the Capitals. They earned it!

Now I'd like to see the Texas Stars go on to win the Calder Cup - coached by Manitoba's Derek Laxdal (a coach who has quite the championship pedigree!).

Reactions: TheFountainhead

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Pretty hard not to be happy for Ovechkin, I don't recall seeing anyone quite that excited to win a cup. I don't think we could have beaten them in the finals, OV was determined to win a cup and that was that. The fanbase deserves it too, 44 years of waiting. VERY glad the Vegas story is over, for now. I'm now (mostly) convinced the league isn't 100% fixed. I can take my tinfoil hat off and enjoy the game again.

I found it interesting that the worst expansion team in NHL history won the cup over the best expansion team in NHL history.

Oh and props to Barry Trotz, since he's from Dauphin.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Oh, and as a fan of humour, I'm disappointed in Ovechkin not handing the Cup to Wilson first. You don't get many opportunities like that.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Man... love hockey but finishing this late kinda kills my interest. After May long, gotta think viewership goes down..
yup yup yup.
even with the Jets, my interest honestly took a libido nosedive mid-may. i want to be outside or gardening or enjoying sunshine, not watching hockey

Reactions: GaryPoppins

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
THANK YOU CAPITALS.

They have preserved the notion that the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win in all of sport. Think of the struggle Ovechkin has had winning this thing.

The Vegas Knights season will always leave a very sour taste in my mouth but at the very least they didn't ruin the reputation of the Great Grey Goblet.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
True - they already had David Clarkson, after all... :sarcasm:

Oh and they pick once in the first 3 rounds this year (thanks to that brilliant Tatar deal).

So you're saying the deal that sent Tatar to Las Vegas in return for a first-round pick in 2018, a second-round pick in 2019 and a third-round pick in 2021 was overpayment?:sarcasm:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I hope the fireworks by the carpet walkway was done only because it's in Vegas, as it seemed out of place to me

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It'll be interesting to see how WSH handles this off-season. Ovie and Backs are signed for 3 and 2 more years, they also have Grubauer who I think can net a 1st in the late teens early 20s, and they have pick 31.

Prospect depth at F is not that strong, and I think they can shed some salary with Orpik and Burakovsky if needed.

Delicate balance in maximizing those 2-3 years w/ Ovie and Backstrom and restocking the shelves

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
True - they already had David Clarkson, after all... :sarcasm:

Oh and they pick once in the first 3 rounds this year (thanks to that brilliant Tatar deal).
They did have 12 picks, including 7 in the top 100 last year. Still have 18 over the next 2 seasons.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I hope the fireworks by the carpet walkway was done only because it's in Vegas, as it seemed out of place to me
I'm not too fuzzed about Vegas doing things in the Vegas way. The usual bland and boring just doesn't feel right for a team playing in a city known for its entertainment. Let them be different; to be honest, this sport could use something different for a change.

(like a bunch of new referees, common sense and a functional rulebook for the postseason)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm not too fuzzed about Vegas doing things in the Vegas way. The usual bland and boring just doesn't feel right for a team playing in a city known for its entertainment. Let them be different; to be honest, this sport could use something different for a change.

(like a bunch of new referees, common sense and a functional rulebook for the postseason)

Making sure this part is clear enough

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I don't care what they do for their pre game show. I just want it done 15 minutes before game time and not be part of any national broadcast coverage. It's for their fans in their building. I feel exactly the same way about any pregame crap the Jets org does...

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I don't care what they do for their pre game show. I just want it done 15 minutes before game time and not be part of any national broadcast coverage. It's for their fans in their building. I feel exactly the same way about any pregame crap the Jets org does...

I watched the 1st one against the Jets and never tuned in another game before 7:30pm.

I have no idea why this “show” wasn’t done prior to 7pm and why other teams pre game in house entertainment wasn’t shown by the network. Likely because if you aren’t a fan of that team you don’t want to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad