Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Edit: don't sit on Ari next year. They've put together a great run over the past, like, 20 games. If they can puck up a nice skilled draft pick and make some smart off season moves, they could be a bubble team next year.

But but but.......garbage time and all that.....remember the arguments at the end of last year about us? ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They were fair arguments. Nobody could foresee the rise of Hellegod, who in my opinion is the single biggest reason why we're in a playoff spot now.
So, basically you don't think the graphic below has anything to do with the Jets' success, or Hellebuyck's?

WPG

Reactions: STZD and Jimby

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Interesting paintings, but Helle has been night and day different last year compared to this year. With last year's Helle, we would be sitting right where we were last year

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Last 30 games =/= Last 10 games.

IIRC the meme was longer than the last ten games. Moot point for me because I never bought into that and never espoused those views.

I actually agreed with your post that the Coyotes will be a different team in a different place in the standings next year

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Has a team ever won the cup without losing a game in the playoffs? Nashville seems like they never lose a game.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
IIRC the meme was longer than the last ten games. Moot point for me because I never bought into that and never espoused those views.

I actually agreed with your post that the Coyotes will be a different team in a different place in the standings next year

You had me at a different team in a different place. :nod:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I would say that Torts>>>PoMo but that would just trigger some outrage, so I won't. Never said it. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Nah, Torts is garbage. Columbus looked pretty awful most of the game...imagine the insane goalmouth scramble from the Dallas game the other night but happening pretty much every time Boston gained the offensive zone. The Bruins just dominated them. But CBJ had a good OT. Columbus would be 5 points out of the playoffs if they had the Jets OT/SO win%.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Nah, Torts is garbage. Columbus looked pretty awful most of the game...imagine the insane goalmouth scramble from the Dallas game the other night but happening pretty much every time Boston gained the offensive zone. The Bruins just dominated them. But CBJ had a good OT. Columbus would be 5 points out of the playoffs if they had the Jets OT/SO win%.

Torts is awesome. It's that crazy Finn Jorma Kaukonen or whatever the f*** his name is that's the problem there. :nod:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Torts has a definite shelf life, before his teams stop playing for him and everyone hates him. You gotta hire him at the right time - when your team is about ready to compete (and has good leadership). He's not the guy you want to develop a team of young players that are not yet ready to compete.

Reactions: Robinson2187

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Has a team ever won the cup without losing a game in the playoffs? Nashville seems like they never lose a game.

1960 was the last time, but you only had to win 8 games. Montreal went 8-0.

1967-68 Montreal went 12-1
1975-76 Montreal went 12-1

1986-87 was the first year you had to win 16 games to win the Cup.

1987-88 Edmonton went 16-2

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Looking at calgary's draft this year, you have to think some jobs are on the line.

If Chevy lottery protected our stats 1st rounder, how did cgy not do the same for Hamonic?

IIRC cgy has no 1st 2nd or 3rd, and no 2nd next year.

Edit: don't sit on Ari next year. They've put together a great run over the past, like, 20 games. If they can puck up a nice skilled draft pick and make some smart off season moves, they could be a bubble team next year.

Failing to lottery protect that pick was just dumb. It will probably escape consequences though.

They were obviously (over)confident of making the PO's this year. I think they are not too far away though.

Hamonic was a little disappointing. I think it is fairly common for a player changing teams to have a bit of an off year. I expect him to bounce back next year. That leaves Flames with a helluva top 4 D. Their 3rd pair is a little weak but this year's #5 & #6 may be #7 & #8 next year. Or #7 and gone.

I think their problem is clear. They have too much of their strength on D. They are weak on RW and lack bottom 6 depth on the wings.

They might convert some D strength to the wings or sign a FA or 2. They should have some cap to work with. They also have a couple of AHL wingers with potential.

If their goaltending holds up they could have a big turn around year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think some people are getting too hung up on Preds recent play. They are very good. They have also been very healthy. They really might be peaking too early.

If we are healthy in the PO's I like our chances against them. Would be a very good series and even odds on the winner, other than their slight edge for home ice advantage.

If we can get by them without getting too beat up we should become WCF favourites and even odds for the SC. If not? Sets up for a great rivalry next year.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: Pretty much every other team would be worse off with the Jets Ot/SO win%.

Reactions: Scheifelaine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad