Around the League 2017-18 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
If Vegas wins it all I can't decide if that's good for the league or bad for it...

It would be great financially, the NHL could have to start turning down expansion applications because there are too many. It wouldn't make the Stanley cup look too good to see such a simple system dominate the best league in the world though. All they really do that sets them so far apart from other teams is that instead of backing off and going for a line change when they lose possession on the attack, they still have at least 1 guy applying pressure on the other teams defense men, so that way he doesn't get to make a nice clean pass into the neutral zone, he has to make a quick decision or risk turning it over. Timely use of a long shift has yielded some great scoring chances while the other team has been out of position, gassed, and sometimes even outnumbered.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Bad. People will say I'm taking credit away from them here, but I'm not

But there's no doubt, it makes the NHL look like more of a gimmick than it was before they existed
How does it make the league look like a gimmick? All it shows is there's a lot of talent in the NHL and you don't need elite superstars to win it all; you just need a good coach, good system that works with the players you have, everyone to buy into that system, and for those players to not take a shift off.

I wonder if people would feel the same if the Knights did this next year instead of in their first year.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
How does it make the league look like a gimmick? All it shows is there's a lot of talent in the NHL and you don't need elite superstars to win it all; you just need a good coach, good system that works with the players you have, everyone to buy into that system, and for those players to not take a shift off.

I wonder if people would feel the same if the Knights did this next year instead of in their first year.

Yes, that's exactly my point, it looks like a gimmick because it's their first year.

I'm not saying it 100% is a gimmick, but to people that aren't as knowledgable about the sport and league as you and I are, it absolutely looks like a gimmick

It makes the league look watered down. I don't know how that's even debatable personally.
It makes 3o GMs look pretty dumb, and I think that makes the casual fan wonder what the f*** is going on with hockey

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yes, that's exactly my point, it looks like a gimmick because it's their first year.

I'm not saying it 100% is a gimmick, but to people that aren't as knowledgable about the sport and league as you and I are, it absolutely looks like a gimmick

It makes the league look watered down. I don't know how that's even debatable personally.
It makes 3o GMs look pretty dumb, and I think that makes the casual fan wonder what the **** is going on with hockey
No offense, but that’s really dumb imo. What’s the difference between winning it in their first year, third year, 50th year? They won it, that’s all that matters.

The only GM that looks stupid now is the Panthers GM, by practically giving them their top line and coach. Most GMs lost players that were not playing like this, outside of Fleury I guess. You do remember nearly everyone saying how awful this Knights team was going to be right? And now all of a sudden those GMs are idiots who gave up cup winning players. That’s some hindsight right there.

All Vegas winning does is bring in more fans. My parents are a good example, they didn’t care about hockey until the Knights came and now are huge fans who are considering getting season tickets. They don’t care at all about what’s going on with the league, they care that their team is winning.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No offense, but that’s really dumb imo. What’s the difference between winning it in their first year, third year, 50th year? They won it, that’s all that matters.

The only GM that looks stupid now is the Panthers GM, by practically giving them their top line and coach. Most GMs lost players that were not playing like this, outside of Fleury I guess. You do remember nearly everyone saying how awful this Knights team was going to be right? And now all of a sudden those GMs are idiots who gave up cup winning players. That’s some hindsight right there.

All Vegas winning does is bring in more fans. My parents are a good example, they didn’t care about hockey until the Knights came and now are huge fans who are considering getting season tickets. They don’t care at all about what’s going on with the league, they care that their team is winning.
I'm not saying it doesn't matter that they won it!
I'm saying the casual fan looks at it as a joke most likely. I can already hear NBA fans talking shit about the league because of it.
That's cool that your parents are bandwagoning but doesn't change my take

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Fans will be ticked off. Cry foul because Vegas got good players, prospects and picks and they have another wait till next year Summer.

GMs should be embarrassed. Every Bargaining Agreement team management moans about the bad contracts and then they go and make stupid deals. The next few years are going to be pure hell for Ducks fans with an overpaid and aging core and no money. 15 was our year, our window and the team never recovered and now we're a mess. Forget Vegas, we could never beat Winnipeg this time around.

John

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm saying the casual fan looks at it as a joke most likely. I can already hear NBA fans talking **** about the league because of it.

NBA fans talking about hockey is about as meaningful as us hockey fans commeting on the nuances of cricket. The no-parity NBA is a complete embarrassment of a major sports league, they should focus on their own product instead.

People forget that St. Louis was also a Cup contender immediately after entering the league (three straight Cup final apprarances). What Vegas is doing right now is remarkable, but not unheard of. I don't see how their success damages the NHL's credibility in any way. Was the NBA's credibility damaged, when GSW first emerged out of nowhere?

Regardless of what happens this season, the next three years will be the big test for Vegas. Starting next season, they will no longer take anyone by surprise, so the games will only get tougher for them...

Fans will be ticked off. Cry foul because Vegas got good players, prospects and picks and they have another wait till next year Summer.

GMs should be embarrassed. Every Bargaining Agreement team management moans about the bad contracts and then they go and make stupid deals. The next few years are going to be pure hell for Ducks fans with an overpaid and aging core and no money. 15 was our year, our window and the team never recovered and now we're a mess. Forget Vegas, we could never beat Winnipeg this time around.

John

I don't think our situation is a cause for desperation. There are many teams in the league, whose financials look way worse than ours (see Red Wings, for example). Sure, this team may be headed towards a re-tool, but at least the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts look to be great, so this would be a good time to build for the future.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm saying the casual fan looks at it as a joke most likely. I can already hear NBA fans talking **** about the league because of it.
Who cares what casual fans think? Who cares what NBA fans think? They should focus on their own league where one player can carry your team all the way to a championship.

If casual fans spend money on the league, like they have been, then everyone benefits in the end.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
NBA fans talking about hockey is about as meaningful as us hockey fans commeting on the nuances of cricket. The no-parity NBA is a complete embarrassment of a major sports league, they should focus on their own product instead.

People forget that St. Louis was also a Cup contender immediately after entering the league (three straight Cup final apprarances). What Vegas is doing right now is remarkable, but not unheard of. I don't see how their success damages the NHL's credibility in any way. Was the NBA's credibility damaged, when GSW first emerged out of nowhere?

Regardless of what happens this season, the next three years will be the big test for Vegas. Starting next season, they will no longer take anyone by surprise, so the games will only get tougher for them...

I don't think our situation is a cause for desperation. There are many teams in the league, whose financials look way worse than ours (see Red Wings, for example). Sure, this team may be headed towards a re-tool, but at least the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts look to be great, so this would be a good time to build for the future.
The blues situation wasn't remotely similar. They were in a division of nothing but expansion teams. One of them had to make the finals. They were swept by established teams in the final every year.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The blues situation wasn't remotely similar. They were in a division of nothing but expansion teams. One of them had to make the finals. They were swept by established teams in the final every year.

OK, maybe the Blues wasn't such a good example, but my point still stands. I don't see Vegas' success as anything that would "tarnish" the NHL's reputation in any way.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Everyone expected the Knights to finish under .500

Now everyone acting like the league gift wrapped them an all star squad

So funny

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
OK, maybe the Blues wasn't such a good example, but my point still stands. I don't see Vegas' success as anything that would "tarnish" the NHL's reputation in any way.

The Stanley Cup is billed as the most difficult trophy to win in all of sports, and a first year expansion team just isn't supposed to be anywhere close to competing for it. I see both sides of the argument, it's exciting and helps further push the sport in a new market, but I also see how it makes the NHL look a bit "bush league" in some eyes.

Personally I don't think they were handed too much talent. A lot of things have gone perfectly right in order for them to be where they are, and there are pop up/cinderella teams almost every year.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
They lucked into an all-star goalie and a bunch of talent Florida didn't want to pay for. Couple that with a few other players having chips on their shoulders from being "rejected" and putting up career years as a result, and you've got a great team.

The league didn't "gift" them a great team, but Florida and Pitt gave them a solid basis for one.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Pittsburgh kept Fleury and not Murray and he was in this form for them they would be on their way to their third straight cup. I wonder if I’m hindsight Rutherford would make that trade.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
If Pittsburgh kept Fleury and not Murray and he was in this form for them they would be on their way to their third straight cup. I wonder if I’m hindsight Rutherford would make that trade.
Not a chance. Murray helped them win two cups so it's not like they needed Fluery to do so. Murray is younger and cheaper, he was always the guy they would keep.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I will say it has been fun to check out other boards... Florida, Columbus, etc. Marchessault was in the Columbus system so they have been a bit vocal.

John

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not a chance. Murray helped them win two cups so it's not like they needed Fluery to do so. Murray is younger and cheaper, he was always the guy they would keep.

In hindsight though wouldn’t you want the better chance at the third cup? That team is built to win right now not going forward.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I've been thinking lately how awesome it would've been to snatch Marchessault from Florida, but it just would've complicated the Ducks ED further, but maybe Theodore would've still been enough. Guy's a player .

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
They lucked into an all-star goalie and a bunch of talent Florida didn't want to pay for. Couple that with a few other players having chips on their shoulders from being "rejected" and putting up career years as a result, and you've got a great team.

The league didn't "gift" them a great team, but Florida and Pitt gave them a solid basis for one.

I don't know man, McPhee and Gallant have done awesome job, is not just about luck. Picking a team from leftovers and of course making few trades. It's so easy to point out now how some teams should have not let certain players go or how they didn't recognize a talent they had, but no one saw Vegas going this far. The team was even were down to their 3rd or 4th goalie at some point of the season and still winning. The situation did allow them to build a team made for current NHL and I think if Vegas wins the Cup, it will further affect the style of play the league has been going for few years now. Teams will be looking at Vegas and trying to copy what they have done instead of feeling sorry for them. What Vegas has done is a big accomplishment that shouldn't be cheapen to just luck.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Imagine,
At the end of the expansion draft,
Fleury...great start, but many said his best was behind him
But, fleury missed what? 25 games. They not only played every goalie they owned, but had to get a loaner from juniors for a backup

They were made fun of for some of the trades and moves. Letting Pickard go, picking up Subban? Mostly seen as negative

We participated by not buying out the defensive veteran presence and losing Theodore. Getting Stoners contract out was thought to be a good move, and many felt losing Theo was okay with the development of Montour, and our young depth, thinking Theo was not quite ready. Well, hindsight makes that move a pretty darned good one by McPhee, just like Florida.

One of McPhees mistakes, was widely considered a great move by the leagues "experts", Sergachev. Did he make mistakes sure, but Vegas made so many good moves that I know I didn't see leading them to where they are today. They ARE making the league look silly in one way. An awful lot of teams did not seewhat they had, or use their assets correctly.

When did so many in the world default into reviling success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce