Around the League 2016-2017 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
On the occasion of Shane Doan retiring:

**** Shane Doan. Good riddance to the most overrated third liner in NHL history, a man who did affirmative harm to the league with his elbows, his knees, the boards, racial slurs, and by pushing the dead puck era narrative that "work ethic" and perseverance are more important than actual skill even when the gap between those two concepts is enormous. It's no wonder he never left one of the most pathetic franchises in sports to go to a real team with a real chance of winning anything because the paradox of his career would have been exposed--he would have been at bit piece on a championship-caliber team, not anchoring its offense or heavily featured in its top 6. But he couldn't bear that, this man from the wastes of Nowhere, Canada who suddenly found that he loved living in the desert. Sure he did. Vaya con dios, Shane Doan, you ugly waste of twenty years' salary.

He had a bad habit of injuring our players, I will not miss that piece of **** one bit. **** him, well said!

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Looks like Seattle finally are getting their arena deal, and the next NHL team is....

http://www.king5.com/news/local/are...xpected-tuesday-by-seattle-oak-view/473972650

I mean, when you read this article from last June, is there really even a doubt that Seattle wouldn't be the 32nd NHL franchise?

The group, led by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff, will spearhead a $564 million gut remodel of the facility on the Seattle Center campus. They are also bringing some blockbuster power with them – two prospective NHL owners.

Leiweke announced that his Seattle effort will be joined by Boston Celtics Minority Owner David Bonderman, a billionaire and University of Washington grad, and Jerry Bruckheimer, the Hollywood action movie mogul, who most recently pioneered the “Pirates of the Caribbean†franchise.

Both Bonderman and Bruckheimer are expected to announce soon their intention to attract an NHL expansion franchise to be an anchor tenant in the facility, according to a source close to the project.

When Murray made the announcement, Leiweke and Azoff were by his side. At least two NHL leaders were also in attendance, including Vancouver Canucks Chairman Francesco Aquilini and Florida Panthers Chairman Peter Luukko, who is one of Leiweke’s current partners in the Oak View Group

Quebec fans must be INCENSED. They have an arena and they have an ownership group -- they'd basically be ready for an NHL team at the drop of a hat. The problem is that the NHL just doesn't want them.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Seattle gets a lot of talk about being such a great sports town.
But they couldn't support the Sonics and they don't really support the Mariners

I'm skeptical about this

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Friedman interviewed Parros and Getzlaf. The Parros stuff was especially interesting, that really sets the tone for the DOPS' "new" direction. See texts 15-19.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Friedman interviewed Parros and Getzlaf. The Parros stuff was especially interesting, that really sets the tone for the DOPS' "new" direction. See texts 15-19.

Definitely interesting, also good to see Getzlaf acknowledging that rest is important

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I wish he would have asked Getzlaf what kind of training he's doing in the off season.

Did I miss the "events" PK did with the team?

Kariya’s maintained an arm’s-length relationship with the NHL since his career came to a premature end. He’s begun to do events with Anaheim, and it would be fantastic to have him more involved, especially as he enters the Hall of Fame.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I wish he would have asked Getzlaf what kind of training he's doing in the off season.

Did I miss the "events" PK did with the team?

He attended Teemu's jersey retirement at Ponda.
He also did the playoff thing last season where they crossed off the number after each playoff win - he crossed off 9 for obvious reason.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
During the playoffs he painted over the #9 in a video when counting down wins to the cup

He also did the playoff thing last season where they crossed off the number after each playoff win - he crossed off 9 for obvious reason.

You guys are correct. But I kinda though events meant more of a group environment participation. Like going to CHOC or helping host the Thanksgiving day meal.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Quebec fans must be INCENSED. They have an arena and they have an ownership group -- they'd basically be ready for an NHL team at the drop of a hat. The problem is that the NHL just doesn't want them.
NHL doesn't want them as an expansion team because it would cause a conference imbalance for the foreseeable future. Once Seattle is confirmed, I'm willing to bet Quebec City follows soon behind as a relocation destination.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC

I actually read somewhere that he was still going to CHOC all these years, he just doesn't let them take pics & stuff. He does stuff quietly out of the public limelight. I think Teemu said it somewhere.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Guess which Rangers fan is currently arguing that a prime Chris Pronger wouldn't be number 1 in the current league.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Didn't kariya just telecommunicate for the jersey retirement? I don't him remember him in the building. The only time I've seen him actually physically there was that X thing.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Didn't kariya just telecommunicate for the jersey retirement? I don't him remember him in the building. The only time I've seen him actually physically there was that X thing.

He was physically there for Teemu's last game, they showed him on the TV. Don't think he was there for the jersey retirement.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
LOL at Doughty's nonsensical backpedaling. It's true I don't care where I play and only want to win cups, but I definitely only want to win cups for this team.

Thought it was funny he was suddenly saying the complete opposite of what he had said earlier. Ugh...I didn't mean it LA, please give me big money to stay. :laugh:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Duchene is coming across as a petulant little cry baby today.

He is but I think I would turn into a cry baby having to play for that organisation. They're terrible but last year they also were a team of underachievers.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The NHL requires each home team to have an emergency goalie in the stands for every game

Interesting. Guess the NHL didn't like reading about those emergency phone calls to an old high school buddy who has to drive 2 hours to get there during the first period. :laugh:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He is but I think I would turn into a cry baby having to play for that organisation. They're terrible but last year they also were a team of underachievers.

And Duchene is a big part of that. I like his skill set but the guy should be putting up 65+ points every season no matter what. He's been a big time underachiever along with Landeskog. He needs to step up and be a leader for them

Last year he had a pathetic 41 points and was a -34. That's embarrassing for someone as talented as he is...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Things are happening in Florida. The Panthers trade Jason Demers (12,5% retained) for Jamie McGinn straight up. It wasn't a secret that FLA wanted to get rid of Demers, but his NTC probably forced them into doing something like this.

I no longer have any idea, what Florida is doing. They were relatively competitive, but were decimated by injuries, which led to a bad season. Instead of just getting healthy and trying again, they've now blown up a good chunk of their roster. To me, these look like tank moves, not something that a competitive team would ever consider...

On the flipside, ARI just got EVEN STRONGER. OEL/Hjalmarsson, Goligoski/Demers, Chychrun/Schenn is actually a very good defensive group, plus they didn't really need McGinn anyway. Chayka the front runner for GM of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad