Around the League 2016-2017 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I feel like there's an argument for Murray that Manson should be under that. Dumoulin was a 20+ minute defenseman for a Cup-winning team, and actually lead their blue line in ice time in these last playoffs. I think his value is trending up, and his role on the team has increased.

Manson's value, to me, has remained the same.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
With all the prices right now I'm very pleased with the deals we have on our team, especially Rakell and Silfverberg.

This should also increase the value of Vats for the case he gets traded.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
still love the Drouin trade for Montreal, but why in the hell would they not take Markov back on a 1 year deal? That defense looks worse IMO.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Weber is already starting on the downside of his career. Wait until Price wants out and nobody can afford his contract. MTL appears heading towards a downward spiral.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
still love the Drouin trade for Montreal, but why in the hell would they not take Markov back on a 1 year deal? That defense looks worse IMO.

Yeah their D has taken a massive step back. Alzner is a third pairing guy who is likely playing with Weber and Streit is 39 and is a depth guy at this point. Schlemko was a good addition but he's not the answer to the top pairing LD they lack.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Funny how Montreal traded Sergachev for Drouin and now they could really use him. Their team also needed help on offense but with Radulov gone as well, their offense overall hasn't improved much if at all. Oh well, I guess they are counting on Price catching everything and winning games like 1-0 or 2-1.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Funny how Montreal traded Sergachev for Drouin and now they could really use him. Their team also needed help on offense but with Radulov gone as well, their offense overall hasn't improved much if at all. Oh well, I guess they are counting on Price catching everything and winning games like 1-0 or 2-1.

Drouin is a great add no doubt but yeah at best he will be slightly better than Radulov next season.

That team needs new management.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Alex Semin retires at age 33. Shame to see him retire so early, the guy was ridiculously good in his prime. Another supertalent, who was ruined by injuries...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Pesce signed for 4M -- another Manson comparable.

Pesce is on the tail end of his ELC, whereas Manson is just about to finish a 2-year bridge, so the situations aren't exactly comparable. Manson is also arbitration eligible, which basically guarantees that Bob can't "nickle and dime" him in typical RFA fashion. Those Slavin/Pesce deals are complete larceny for Carolina, BTW! :amazed:

Brian Dumoulin is a better comparison contract-wise, but I really don't know how he compares to Manson as a player. I'd be thrilled with $4.5 million for 6 years for Manson.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Does anybody else find it strange that Montreal ejected most of their Russian players this offseason? Markov, Nesterov, Emelin, Sergachev, Radulov are all gone, one way or the other. The only ones that remain are Alex Galchenyuk (technically an American) and Nikita Scherbak, who could be heading in a similar direction as Alex Khokhlachev.

Interestingly enough, Khokhlachev and Khudobin were the only Russian players, who played in Boston during Julien's entire coaching tenure...

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Pesce is on the tail end of his ELC, whereas Manson is just about to finish a 2-year bridge, so the situations aren't exactly comparable. Manson is also arbitration eligible, which basically guarantees that Bob can't "nickle and dime" him in typical RFA fashion. Those Slavin/Pesce deals are complete larceny for Carolina, BTW! :amazed:

Brian Dumoulin is a better comparison contract-wise, but I really don't know how he compares to Manson as a player. I'd be thrilled with $4.5 million for 6 years for Manson.

I agree Dumoulin makes for a better comparable. In my opinion he does have more leverage than Manson though, mostly due to the big minutes he handled on the way to the two Cup wins. Definitely would be nice if Manson's was in the same range but on the lower end.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Interesting news from New York -- NYI and de Haan agree to a 1-year extension, which takes him straight to UFA. They just lost Hamonic, now they could lose de Haan too, which could leave their D in ruins, unless they manage to quickly develop somebody from within the organization.

I wonder if they've now become a possible suitor for Vatanen? We all know about JT and the upcoming UFA situation, but they have a ton of other young-ish forwards on their roster and in their system. Eberle (yuck), Lee, Nelson, Bailey (UFA), Beauvillier, Barzal, Ho-Sang, etc. They also have an impressive collection of those highly coveted 2018 picks, surely there's a deal to be made here? Not now, but maybe next offseason?

Something like Vatanen for Nelson + a 2018 2nd?

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Does anybody else find it strange that Montreal ejected most of their Russian players this offseason? Markov, Nesterov, Emelin, Sergachev, Radulov are all gone, one way or the other. The only ones that remain are Alex Galchenyuk (technically an American) and Nikita Scherbak, who could be heading in a similar direction as Alex Khokhlachev.

Interestingly enough, Khokhlachev and Khudobin were the only Russian players, who played in Boston during Julien's entire coaching tenure...

Yeah I hadn't thought about that until I read your post, but it definitely looks like a pattern. They brought in a French-Canadian star in Drouin as well, so maybe they are trying to change the culture in the locker room.

It could also be a coincidence though, or economics. Markov is about done. Emelin is probably only capable in a reduced role. Radulov was UFA and got a huge contract. Sergachev was traded to replace Radulov's production. So instead of Radulov, Markov, and Emelin at about 14-15 million they have Drouin, Alzner, and Schlemko at about 12 million. They have cap space to make a big move if one ever becomes available.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah I hadn't thought about that until I read your post, but it definitely looks like a pattern. They brought in a French-Canadian star in Drouin as well, so maybe they are trying to change the culture in the locker room.

It could also be a coincidence though, or economics. Markov is about done. Emelin is probably only capable in a reduced role. Radulov was UFA and got a huge contract. Sergachev was traded to replace Radulov's production. So instead of Radulov, Markov, and Emelin at about 14-15 million they have Drouin, Alzner, and Schlemko at about 12 million. They have cap space to make a big move if one ever becomes available.

I don't think Drouin was acquired to replace Radulov. They tried hard to re-sign Radulov up to the point that he signed in Dallas. I think they just traded for Drouin because when a player like that is available, you go after him. IMO, this was the best move of the offseason for any GM. Sergachev was a really good prospect (I thought he was better than Theo but less than Montour), but Drouin is a guy who creates a lot on his own. When there's a young, dynamic player like that available, you go get him.

Their D has significantly downgraded IMO. I don't blame them for not wanting Markov at 2 years, but 1 year? That's a no brainer (assuming their cap space won't be used on something else).

Out on D: Markov, Beaulieu, and Emelin
In: Schlemko, Alzner, Morrow

That D is worse and a lot slower too.

In my line of work, I deal with a lot of Candian fans, especially from Montreal, and I always laugh when they say things like "Bergevin is smart to have that cap space". Well considering he tried hard to re-sign Radulov for the same salary, he clearly didn't intend to have it.

I agree that the cap space does give them finiancial room, but they don't really have the assets to trade for a big piece. They have arguably the worst prospect pool in the league, and I can't see them trading 1sts with that scenario.

I think Bergevin pulled off the move of the offseason, but despite that, he's still probably had one of the worst offseasons. That team is definitely not better IMO.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Montreal was interested also when Drouin was first rumored available. They like their French and obviously he is a very good player

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
There's a 15-year old (not as fan, but overall) leaf/lightning fan in the poll section saying Kesler is overrated. He obviously offers no reason why that is. Man, I feel so old.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
There's a 15-year old (not as fan, but overall) leaf/lightning fan in the poll section saying Kesler is overrated. He obviously offers no reason why that is. Man, I feel so old.

Every single main board thread I open, he has a comment somewhere inside of it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So I've bumped into articles about Alexander Kerfoot. College FA who didn't want to sign with the Devils. Any interest from us? I know the Canucks have had eyes on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad