Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Maybe it's exaggerated for me because I live here, and now their all of these fans who have no idea what they are watching (not saying all of them, but a decent percentage, like the Kings 2012-14 minus the hardcore fanbase, because you can't really have that base in year one).

Just seems like you should have to eat some **** before having meaningful success. Yes, I know the design of this expansion was to create a better team from the jump.

Still, nobody looked at that roster and thought they'd be in 1st place by Christmas. If people knew they'd lose Fleury for weeks, even having to play 4th and 5th string goalies for a bit, they would've said bottom 3 team for sure.

The Blues actually went to the finals their first 3 seasons. Wasn't that because of a rule, though?

Not a rule really, just the alignment and playoff format. They doubled the league in 67, then put all the expansion teams into the same division, then made the playoffs divisional. I can only imagine what would've been said about all 3 of those things had the internet existed back then.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Wonder why the NHL didn't just use 1 conference when they went to 12 teams.
Market, most likely. If the games were largely within their own divisions without much cross-play, they likely didn't want to associate the O6 with the new teams given the rivalries and such already established.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Maybe it's exaggerated for me because I live here, and now their all of these fans who have no idea what they are watching (not saying all of them, but a decent percentage, like the Kings 2012-14 minus the hardcore fanbase, because you can't really have that base in year one).

Just seems like you should have to eat some **** before having meaningful success. Yes, I know the design of this expansion was to create a better team from the jump.
Some people down play the rules that benefited this expansion as if it didn't matter.If the rule wasn't intended to help Vegas,NHL wouldn't have changed the expansion draft rules as a whole and that's just simply a fact.Now results on the ice was a surprise where they're, not that they be in a position to sneak in the playoffs which I think they'll but be eliminated in the first round imo.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Still, nobody looked at that roster and thought they'd be in 1st place by Christmas. If people knew they'd lose Fleury for weeks, even having to play 4th and 5th string goalies for a bit, they would've said bottom 3 team for sure.

Not a rule really, just the alignment and playoff format. They doubled the league in 67, then put all the expansion teams into the same division, then made the playoffs divisional. I can only imagine what would've been said about all 3 of those things had the internet existed back then.

2 months...and they kept their head above water with a 4th string goalie. I attribute most of that to Gallant. Panthers loss is Vegas's gain. Took the Panthers to the playoffs and 103 pt season and got fired for his efforts. I think he's that good a coach, you'd have to be to get strays from all over the league and with 1 training camp under his belt, create that sense of unity they have. Props to him, and I think players like playing for him which will help down the road.
They are a good team with a refreshing resiliency. That game last week when they were down by two goals to the best team in the league was a reflection of what Gallant has instilled in them, they were relentless, not only tying the game but getting the GWG with 2 seconds left. That kind of win, against the Bolts, can really fuel a team.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Some people down play the rules that benefited this expansion as if it didn't matter.If the rule wasn't intended to help Vegas,NHL wouldn't have changed the expansion draft rules as a whole and that's just simply a fact.Now results on the ice was a surprise where they're, not that they be in a position to sneak in the playoffs which I think they'll but be eliminated in the first round imo.

Well the rules were going to have to be different just because of the cap. Having to expose a certain amount of the cap, and the NMC's, changed things. Every other expansion team came in without a cap, had their money taken, got a handshake, and were told good luck with our crap. With the cap, and the two CBA's after the last expansion, it's not a dog-eat-dog world anymore.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Yawn, seen this movie before, Ducks win the division after roaring back from a lottery ticket.

tumblr_inline_p0ul9ttpW71vszph2_500.jpg

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
McNabb was a whipping boy around here, but he seems to be playing fine in Vegas. He's been on the ice for 28 goals for and only 16 against 5v5, the best on his team. He's playing physical and is wearing an A. Either his injury was worse than we thought here, or he's another one that might not have gotten along with Sutter.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
McNabb was a whipping boy around here, but he seems to be playing fine in Vegas. He's been on the ice for 28 goals for and only 16 against 5v5, the best on his team. He's playing physical and is wearing an A. Either his injury was worse than we thought here, or he's another one that might not have gotten along with Sutter.

McNabb had a strange growth trajectory here. He was amazing for 1/3 a season, ok for a 1/3 a season, absolute crap for 1/3 a season with Drew. he started the next season and looked absolutely fantastic--then got hurt and never recovered. I haven't seen much of Vegas, but I'm not surprised if he's doing well in a not #2 role, because he always crushed it here similarly, d-men just take time to grow. In juniors he had everything but elite foot speed, so it would have been dumb to quit on him (not that we did, the expansion draft just loomed).

They've successfully adopted the Pens model -- all skating and puck-handling. Just go, go, go.

I knew Vegas would be good. Not THIS good, but when you have a team full of essentially castoff tweeners and a fantastic coach, and an out-of-rink event to bring them all together--there was no doubt in my mind that, at the VERY least, they'd be a huge pain in the ass. They're definitely exceeding what I ever thought they'd do but it's insane to watch, just all high-octane go go go everywhere. Very 2012-Kings-ish.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wonder why the NHL didn't just use 1 conference when they went to 12 teams.

Original six rivlaries, travel coast to coast was still not so easy, and they wanted the expansion teams to have the excitement of the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lotta injuries last night, including Schiefele out 6-8 weeks.

Never want to see people--especially promising young players--injured, but hard for me to have sympathy for anyone else after what we've been through, plus this is an opportunity for us to see how we stack up against teams who have faced perfect health all year (like WPG and TBL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad