Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
In the past, maybe, but now they spend to the cap. They've spent more each year and now have the 8th highest cap hit in the league. And when Karlsson goes UFA, 7 other players will also and they will have 35M in cap space. They have plenty of other ways to save rather than trade a cost controlled quality defender.

Well look at that the main board has a Ceci trade thread and the price that i saw was only a prospect winger so far A far cry from a 1 st 2nd and LaDue to get there attention offer you first thought

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Well look at that the main board has a Ceci trade thread and the price that i saw was only a prospect winger so far A far cry from a 1 st 2nd and LaDue to get there attention offer you first thought

What people think on this site and what GM's think are completely different, and Ottawa isn't going to sell him low. They didn't want to give him up in a deal for Drouin, so it shows you what they think of him.

He's the whipping boy for them on this site ATM. People see a guy struggling and they say OMG he sucks and want to unload him for whatever. They rarely take into account organizational slots and needs and RFA status. He's not playing well at the moment, but what do you really think Ottawa wants from the Kings? They aren't going to want an older guy like LaDue who can't crack the roster (unless good picks are involved). They are going to want an emerging Kempe. Or a promising player like Clague and a good pick. Or a 2nd liner like Pearson. Things of Value. Guys like Gravel and LaDue have little to no value outside of the organization.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
What people think on this site and what GM's think are completely different, and Ottawa isn't going to sell him low. They didn't want to give him up in a deal for Drouin, so it shows you what they think of him.

He's the whipping boy for them on this site ATM. People see a guy struggling and they say OMG he sucks and want to unload him for whatever. They rarely take into account organizational slots and needs and RFA status. He's not playing well at the moment, but what do you really think Ottawa wants from the Kings? They aren't going to want an older guy like LaDue who can't crack the roster (unless good picks are involved). They are going to want an emerging Kempe. Or a promising player like Clague and a good pick. Or a 2nd liner like Pearson. Things of Value. Guys like Gravel and LaDue have little to no value outside of the organization.
How the hell do u know how any other player in our organization is valued by another organization? Maybe they happen to like gravel (who is a decent player with some upside but blocked by muzzin forbort fantenberg. Maybe they see him as just needing a chance?
As for Ceci he is a healthy scratch this year. I think your hearing things that are false on the trade for Drouin rumors are just that hear say. His value is not that high if hes getting scratched when healthy. Why aren't they if they think he could fit there roster. Imo if they think they can get two roster players on elcs why wouldn't they make that move?

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I remember last season while Anders Lee was really struggling that he was on the trade block. I mentioned the Kings definitely needed to get in on that if the rumors were true. Then he scores 2 goals against the Kings and since that game I believe he's 2nd in the NHL in goals. Too bad they didn't move him. Oh well, can't get everyone you wish for. Otherwise Benn would've been in a Kings jersey years ago :laugh:

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
How the hell do u know how any other player in our organization is valued by another organization? Maybe they happen to like gravel (who is a decent player with some upside but blocked by muzzin forbort fantenberg. Maybe they see him as just needing a chance?
As for Ceci he is a healthy scratch this year. I think your hearing things that are false on the trade for Drouin rumors are just that hear say. His value is not that high if hes getting scratched when healthy. Why aren't they if they think he could fit there roster. Imo if they think they can get two roster players on elcs why wouldn't they make that move?

I absolutely think Ceci would get at least an ELC roster player, that's why I suggested they would ask for someone like Kempe or Iafallo. I certainly wouldn't make that trade if I were the Kings, but that would be the ask. Guys like Gravel and LaDue aren't roster players and neither of them are on ELC contracts. They can be had for a lot less, they aren't that attractive.

I'm not sure where this healthy scratch stuff comes from, Ceci has played in all the games this year. He did have a poor outing last time and I wouldn't be surprised to see a wake-up call soon, similar to what the Kings have done to Pearson, etc. in the past, but he hasn't been scratched as of yet.

Think of it this way. If Pearson struggled for a month or two, what would you expect in return? A couple AHL'ers with OK upside and a 2nd rounder? I think that would anger a lot of people if that happened. I think Ceci would do far better in the Kings system than he is right now, but that doesn't mean Ottawa isn't going to maximize what they get for him in return. Despite his struggles, he's still a RHD which aren't all that common. His value might drop more if he continues to struggle, but if that happens, would we really want him? He's going to ask for close to $4M on his next contract, I would bet. Don't get me wrong, I would trade both Gravel and LaDue for him in a hot minute, but I don't think it's very plausible.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I absolutely think Ceci would get at least an ELC roster player, that's why I suggested they would ask for someone like Kempe or Iafallo. I certainly wouldn't make that trade if I were the Kings, but that would be the ask. Guys like Gravel and LaDue aren't roster players and neither of them are on ELC contracts. They can be had for a lot less, they aren't that attractive.

I'm not sure where this healthy scratch stuff comes from, Ceci has played in all the games this year. He did have a poor outing last time and I wouldn't be surprised to see a wake-up call soon, similar to what the Kings have done to Pearson, etc. in the past, but he hasn't been scratched as of yet.

Think of it this way. If Pearson struggled for a month or two, what would you expect in return? A couple AHL'ers with OK upside and a 2nd rounder? I think that would anger a lot of people if that happened. I think Ceci would do far better in the Kings system than he is right now, but that doesn't mean Ottawa isn't going to maximize what they get for him in return. Despite his struggles, he's still a RHD which aren't all that common. His value might drop more if he continues to struggle, but if that happens, would we really want him? He's going to ask for close to $4M on his next contract, I would bet. Don't get me wrong, I would trade both Gravel and LaDue for him in a hot minute, but I don't think it's very plausible.

I hate to break your bubble but LaDue and Gravel are absolutely on elc contracts Just because there in the ahl does not mean they are not on elc contracts. They just happen to be not against the cap because they make less then 1 million dollars. I believe and someone out there correct me if i am wrong but any two way contract is elc .
The healthy scratch is tonight the op of the thread there believes he will be tonight. This is where i got the scratch from.
Next your comparing the value of a top 6 wing to a top 4 defensive defense man. The forward in this case pearson has more value. I would think a better comparison to Ceci if u went forward wise is Lewis or Shore. To answer ur question yes a right handed defense man is valuable but not near the 1st 2nd and another right handed defense man prospect u wanted in your first post to me. Your simply over valuing him. The fair trade maybe someone like Brodzinski and folin but no wear near ur price of 1 st 2nd and LaDue and that just gets us talking
I think he would do well hear I think hes going to be a mitchell type defense man He would be a upgrade on Folin who also could be apart of the package for him as he will be redundant.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I hate to break your bubble but LaDue and Gravel are absolutely on elc contracts Just because there in the ahl does not mean they are not on elc contracts. They just happen to be not against the cap because they make less then 1 million dollars. I believe and someone out there correct me if i am wrong but any two way contract is elc .
The healthy scratch is tonight the op of the thread there believes he will be tonight. This is where i got the scratch from.
Next your comparing the value of a top 6 wing to a top 4 defensive defense man. The forward in this case pearson has more value. I would think a better comparison to Ceci if u went forward wise is Lewis or Shore. To answer ur question yes a right handed defense man is valuable but not near the 1st 2nd and another right handed defense man prospect u wanted in your first post to me. Your simply over valuing him. The fair trade maybe someone like Brodzinski and folin but no wear near ur price of 1 st 2nd and LaDue and that just gets us talking
I think he would do well hear I think hes going to be a mitchell type defense man He would be a upgrade on Folin who also could be apart of the package for him as he will be redundant.

LaDue and Gravel are definitely not on ELC's , they are on their 2nd contracts. ELC's are a requirement for all players first contract, as long as they are under 24. LaDue signed at an older age, hence his ELC was only 1 year, signed right at the end of the 2015/2016 season. He signed another 1-year contract in July after his ELC expired. Remember, Gravel filed for arbitration so its impossible for him to be on an ELC.

Yes, he may be scratched tonight but you inferred that he was a healthy scratch this year, which he has not been.

I guess we will just disagree on his value. I just don't see a 23 year old promising defenseman traded for that kind of stuff. He'd be tied with Iafallo (same birthday, weirdly) for 3rd youngest on the current squad. Not sure why they would want a guy like Folin, he was a UFA that signed for $850K, they could have easily had him if they had wanted. I could be overvaluing him, but his value is going to be far closer to a young roster player and a pick than guys we have in the AHL. Why would a team downgrade at a position by trading a RFA, without the pick coming back being a first? Ceci was the 15th overall pick in his draft year, Ottawa would look like fools for trading him for any thing other than a quality return. Otherwise, they have nothing to lose by keeping him.

And I also do think his value is close to that of Tanner Pearson. Defenseman always carry more value, and being a RHD elevates that. Pearson is probably worth more at this point because of his experiences, but not substantially more. Saying Ceci is closer to Shore or Lewis in value is strange to me. Shore is a dime a dozen guy and Lewis is 30, I don't think that's close in any way shape or form.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Re: Ceci I don't think we have anything really of equivalent value--they're either worth more or less, and he's a risky proposition because you're trading for a change-of-scenery guy and banking on his upside.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Chicago just looks out of sorts this year. Wilson has a breakaway and 3 guys chase him, no one bothers picking up Ovie cruising down behind the play. Easy rebound.

Just a ton of errors for that team. It's funny to watch them play other teams though, they really get up for the Kings compared to many other squads.

Reactions: KingTrouty

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Chicago just looks out of sorts this year. Wilson has a breakaway and 3 guys chase him, no one bothers picking up Ovie cruising down behind the play. Easy rebound.

Just a ton of errors for that team. It's funny to watch them play other teams though, they really get up for the Kings compared to many other squads.

That 2014 series is still one of the best seven game series I've ever seen.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Tkachuk is a *****.

It's hilarious that fans of his team defend him. When Avery was here being a dick, we called him a dick. Most wanted him off the team.

I like guys who play on the edge, who play with emotion, and go after someone in the heat of the moment. I hate guys who do things to other players when they can't defend themselves. That's the true definition of a coward. I honestly think the kid doesn't have any clue to how bad his actions are or look. He thinks they are in the norm, by his actions.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It's hilarious that fans of his team defend him. When Avery was here being a dick, we called him a dick. Most wanted him off the team.

I like guys who play on the edge, who play with emotion, and go after someone in the heat of the moment. I hate guys who do things to other players when they can't defend themselves. That's the true definition of a coward. I honestly think the kid doesn't have any clue to how bad his actions are or look. He thinks they are in the norm, by his actions.

It's not just the fans, the media too.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Also, anyone watching the Flyers Oilers game? The Flyers are pulverizing them. There's still a good amount of games left, but it might be the first nail in the OIlers' season. I can't even remember an Oilers shot this period.

Reactions: The Pale King

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Also, anyone watching the Flyers Oilers game? The Flyers are pulverizing them. There's still a good amount of games left, but it might be the first nail in the OIlers' season. I can't even remember an Oilers shot this period.

Yeah, I watched half the game. Oil players never engage on their half of the ice. They just skate backwards. It's most evident on their PP, but it's constant at ES too. Flyers had won 4 of 19 going in and they looked dominant at times. Just able to pick their way through the D. Giroux is a 145 point scorer if he plays the Oil 82 times a season. He and Simmonds had like 16 shots between them.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Tkachuk is a *****.

bKlB1lv.gif

Reactions: KingTrouty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad