Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Vegas is playing much better than I thought they would.

Beating the hawks 4-1 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's unfortunate that we gave up so much to get him, but thank god that he didn't re-sign that laughably bad contract offer DL gave him, and signed with a division rival. He is a total slug.

Miller, who was never a top 4 guy in Boston, and lost in the expansion draft. Jones, who had little value for the Kings. One 2nd round pick as RFA compensation, and Boston got a late 1st rounder for him(since he helped make SJ better). And then a mid 1st round pick. For Lucic at a $3m cap hit. It was working great when they were in 1st place basically that entire season.

The trade ultimately didn't work out, but did they really give up that much? The 1st would've been nice to keep, but this was still a roster one year removed from the Cup at the time.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Miller, who was never a top 4 guy in Boston, and lost in the expansion draft. Jones, who had little value for the Kings. One 2nd round pick as RFA compensation, and Boston got a late 1st rounder for him(since he helped make SJ better). And then a mid 1st round pick. For Lucic at a $3m cap hit. It was working great when they were in 1st place basically that entire season.

The trade ultimately didn't work out, but did they really give up that much? The 1st would've been nice to keep, but this was still a roster one year removed from the Cup at the time.

Yes we gave up a lot for a rental player who isn't even that good. And the Kings were not contenders.

It was just another example of just how poorly the Kings were run the last few years.

I think a strong case can be made that Lucic is one of the most overpaid and overcompensated players in the NHL, he is, and has never been the type of difference maker at the NHL level that many think.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

The Kings gave up a lot more value than they got back.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Who had Vegas with the best record in the league in late October?

Yes we gave up a lot for a rental player who isn't even that good. And the Kings were not contenders.

It was just another example of just how poorly the Kings were run the last few years.

I think a strong case can be made that Lucic is one of the most overpaid and overcompensated players in the NHL, he is, and has never been the type of difference maker at the NHL level that many think.

A rental they had for a full year.

The Kings gave up a lot more value than they got back.

A backup goalie they were going to lose one way or another, an unproven defenseman that was ultimately lost in the expansion draft, and a mid 1st round pick, and whoever they might've taken might one day be as good as Lucic was. Maybe.

It may have been a desperation move by Lombardi, that ended up as the worst case scenario for the team, but saying "a lot more" is pushing it.

Reactions: mbar

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Lombardi was phoning it in his last two seasons.

What I like about us today is that we at least arent panicking and throwing away our assets. Carter goes down and we keep on trucking. I am a big believer in the dance with the one you brung school of thought. Takes your times and make good decisions.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I just discovered the Bizzaro NHL Universe.....

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/stats/regular-season/skaters/pm

In this Universe, defensively inept Luke Schenn holds the Cryotes ONLY positive +/- stat with a +2. Meanwhile, defensive stalwart Oliver Ekman-Larsson possesses a team-worst -10!!!! :eek:

Defensive stalwart my ass, OEL is one of the most overrated players in the league and gets attention because he's been the only one on the Yotes with the talent to score in recent years. He's an above-average defender at best. Edit: in the defensive end, I mean

Reactions: TruKingFan

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Andrew Walker‏ @AndrewWalker650 1h1 hour ago

Some interesting news:
@FriedgeHNIC tells us Vegas has given Vadim Shipachyov permission to seek a trade. A few teams could use a Center
4:22 PM - 25 Oct 2017

Friedman's usually pretty on track with his info; and I'm sure those in the Duchene soap opera getting tired of Sakic's ineptness might move on. He is a skilled center with pretty good IQ and vision and would help the top 6 of those teams needing a fit.

Stamkos and Kucherov with 37 points between the two of them...Bolts are playing well, from the backend, thru the blueline (Hedman esp looking great) and the forward group. They look like a very hungry team. And props to Stevie Y for getting the Triplet line signed for 15M.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
What? They just signed him as a free agent and he's wanting out less than a dozen games in?

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there They signed him to a 2yr deal and he wasn't on their starting roster on Oct 6 and bounced him to the AHL a couple times., where he is now. He's only played in 3 games for them. And the 9M contract might be hard to move. Not sure what McPhee is thinking.

Because the Habs are strong down the middle...
Never change Bergevin,
Eric Engels‏Verified account @EricEngels 1h1 hour ago
Well. That was quick. Marc Bergevin was contacted about Vadim Shipachyov's availability yesterday. The Canadiens aren't biting. They're out.

Reactions: AlexMartinez

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

It was a terrible trade and use of asset management . Everyone knew Lucic would command at least 6 mil the following year except Lombardi. Miller at the time was a high value prospect, then we gave up another first that we desperately needed to restock the farm system. Jones was a legit number 1 in the making and the trade allowed him to be flip right back to our division rival, who btw, beat us in the first round the following season. You don't pay that much for a rental!

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Just looking around the Vegas board and it seems like Shipachyov just was never able to fit in. Gallant and management wanted him the AHL to adjust to NA ice. Shipachyov is 30 years old and didn't want to do that so now they're looking for a trade. With all the praise that Vegas is getting (and deserved) they really missed on this one. Now you got a $4 million asset sitting in the AHL.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
A backup goalie they were going to lose one way or another, an unproven defenseman that was ultimately lost in the expansion draft, and a mid 1st round pick, and whoever they might've taken might one day be as good as Lucic was. Maybe.

It may have been a desperation move by Lombardi, that ended up as the worst case scenario for the team, but saying "a lot more" is pushing it.

No. It was a lot more, no matter how much you want to downplay what we traded away.
Jones - a backup goalie we were going to lose anyway... who was flipped for a first round pick.

Miller - An unproven defenseman who was taken in the expansion draft. Who has 4 points in 8 games for said expansion team.

And a 1st round pick. Considering the Kings only had 2 first round picks in 5 years, that high end cost-controlled talent would be invaluable to the Kings.

And in return they had one season of Lucic at 55 points and a first round bounce, and either letting Lucic walk or paying a crippling contract to keep him.

So there's really no sugarcoating how bad that trade was.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there They signed him to a 2yr deal and he wasn't on their starting roster on Oct 6 and bounced him to the AHL a couple times., where he is now. He's only played in 3 games for them. And the 9M contract might be hard to move. Not sure what McPhee is thinking.

Because the Habs are strong down the middle...
Never change Bergevin,
Eric Engels‏Verified account @EricEngels 1h1 hour ago
Well. That was quick. Marc Bergevin was contacted about Vadim Shipachyov's availability yesterday. The Canadiens aren't biting. They're out.

That's just it, McPhee rarely thinks.

He's got Theodore down in the AHL because of an over abundance to defenseman on NHL contracts that are waiver eligible. He thought there would be such a demand when he drafted so many in the expansion draft. Guess he misread the market.

It's funny they are down to Dansk in net when they had Pickard. Still don't get why they let him go while acquiring Subban off waivers.

If Shipachyov had a one year deal, i'd be interested if LA would inquire.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I don't think Shipachyov would fit with the kings and while I have concerns about the kings future cap issues now that Iafallo, kempe, fantenberg, folin, et al are playing so well, I don't want to see the kings pay a high price for another rental.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We wouldn't even have the cap space for Shipachyov. We'd have to send another contract back to Vegas in any potential deal.

Besides, we need all the cap space we can get next year for Tavares. :)

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
No. It was a lot more, no matter how much you want to downplay what we traded away.
Jones - a backup goalie we were going to lose anyway... who was flipped for a first round pick.

Miller - An unproven defenseman who was taken in the expansion draft. Who has 4 points in 8 games for said expansion team.

And a 1st round pick. Considering the Kings only had 2 first round picks in 5 years, that high end cost-controlled talent would be invaluable to the Kings.

And in return they had one season of Lucic at 55 points and a first round bounce, and either letting Lucic walk or paying a crippling contract to keep him.

So there's really no sugarcoating how bad that trade was.

It was a devastating deal last season considering our start and extremely bad asset management by DL and Co... When looking back at the draft and what Pos got for MJ, we certainly could have packaged Jones, 13OA and Miller to move up, maybe even 5OA which could have been Werenski, Hanifin or Provorov... but that done with and no use crying over spilled milk... But dammit that was a bad trade lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad