Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I grew up in Santa Clarita and I don't even know where the nearest rink was when I was a kid. I remember being a sophomore in college and watching an episode of NHL Cool Shots. The host proudly declared "We're broadcasting live from the new rink here in Valencia, California."

Of course they built that as soon as I left. I nearly threw the remote at the TV. Not sure if there are any up and coming talents from my former neck of the woods. Kevan Miller grew up in the area. Shane Harper is from Valencia and he had a 30 goal AHL season in recent memory.

Arizona State started a D1 hockey program a couple years back. It'd be cool to see some of the other Pac-12 schools follow suit. Probably would be a very gradual process, but it might open up some avenues for more kids to stay local for college.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I grew up in Santa Clarita and I don't even know where the nearest rink was when I was a kid. I remember being a sophomore in college and watching an episode of NHL Cool Shots. The host proudly declared "We're broadcasting live from the new rink here in Valencia, California."

Of course they built that as soon as I left. I nearly threw the remote at the TV. Not sure if there are any up and coming talents from my former neck of the woods. Kevan Miller grew up in the area. Shane Harper is from Valencia and he had a 30 goal AHL season in recent memory.

Arizona State started a D1 hockey program a couple years back. It'd be cool to see some of the other Pac-12 schools follow suit. Probably would be a very gradual process, but it might open up some avenues for more kids to stay local for college.

Judging from what you said, and trying to remember when Valencia opened, and hoping that I'm not confusing Valencia with Simi Valley, the nearest rink to you would have probably been Ice-O-Plex in West Hills, CA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you were a kid there in what, late 80s early 90s? I believe Valencia opened up in 97-98? Not sure, I was out of the youth hockey scene by that time, played until 93-94, coached for 3-4 years after then moved out to Vegas, back to Cali, out to Palm Springs where they had no rink, then back east

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Judging from what you said, and trying to remember when Valencia opened, and hoping that I'm not confusing Valencia with Simi Valley, the nearest rink to you would have probably been Ice-O-Plex in West Hills, CA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you were a kid there in what, late 80s early 90s? I believe Valencia opened up in 97-98? Not sure, I was out of the youth hockey scene by that time, played until 93-94, coached for 3-4 years after then moved out to Vegas, back to Cali, out to Palm Springs where they had no rink, then back east

My recollection from that episode was being in my sophomore year apartment which would have been spring 2000? Quick Google search has this article from September 2000 saying that it was about to open: Ice-Skating Facility a Three-Rink Circus

Maybe the NHL Cool Shots episode was filmed before it was open to the public? On an unrelated note, I miss that show. I wish NBCSN would do a weekly show like that. Definitely helped showcase some of the players in a goofier setting.

I think I had a few friends who played inline, but I think they said that was a bit of a trek as well. Not that my parents would have let me play if we had a local rink (I still give my dad grief about not playing Little League).

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Tomorrow could be a rough day, the Ducks get Vancouver at home and the Sharks get Edmonton on the road but Edmonton on a back to back.

Hopefully Toronto can beat Dallas and continue their slide.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Tomorrow could be a rough day, the Ducks get Vancouver at home and the Sharks get Edmonton on the road but Edmonton on a back to back.

Hopefully Toronto can beat Dallas and continue their slide.
Gotta hope Vancouver gets their head out of their ass and does something.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
IMO, it's Ice time. I mean it's a huge disadvantage trying to make it in a sport against guys who grew up in a climate from the age of three where they could take a piss on their back yard lawn and then proceed to play hockey on it for 6 hours a day, 8 months out of the year. Factor in quality of competition and it's gonna be tough. I do think things are getting better, but there's a reason California produces so many baseball players, the climate and the accessibility make it so much easier. There's probably literally 2 weeks a year you can't go outside in LA and play baseball on a patch of grass. It's like the anti-hockey. ;)

I get that your exaggerating, but nowhere can you get 8 months of outdoor ice. I live in Winnipeg, which has pretty much the longest outdoor ice season and it is at best little over 4 months, sometimes as short as 2 months. Couple years ago for example you couldn't get an outdoor rink until past Xmas, and it was melting by end of February. This year was a little longer as you could get a sheet in by mid November, but it was gone early-mid February.

Reactions: Bandit

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I get that your exaggerating, but nowhere can you get 8 months of outdoor ice. I live in Winnipeg, which has pretty much the longest outdoor ice season and it is at best little over 4 months, sometimes as short as 2 months. Couple years ago for example you couldn't get an outdoor rink until past Xmas, and it was melting by end of February. This year was a little longer as you could get a sheet in by mid November, but it was gone early-mid February.
Yeah of course, it's hyperbole. This is the internet after all. Same way people don't say:

"Jeeze, that was not a good play Muzzin"

They say:

"Muzzin is so stupid I want to rip his eyes out and make love to the socket!!!!"

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Hey, the Leafs tied it up. That game is kind of wild, swings of momentum all over the place.

And I think there is a scoreboard error on NHL.com, it says the Oilers are winning.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
tenor.gif

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah of course, it's hyperbole. This is the internet after all. Same way people don't say:

"Jeeze, that was not a good play Muzzin"

They say:

"Muzzin is so stupid I want to rip his eyes out and make love to the socket!!!!"

It's all good I was just trying to clarify it for you SoCal people cause I wasn't sure if you guys knew ;). I would gladly trade in the outdoor rinks for your guys weather if I could!

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.

The closest rink was in Sylmar back then. None of the high schools had any sort of club teams or anything yet. I went away for school in 2000 and the rink either just opened or wasn't open yet.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Don't say this on the main board, but TO is a first-round exit team.

Andersen ready for his usual playoff follies.
They do have to play a powerhouse Boston team though. First round exit shouldn't be surprising to anyone except delusional Toronto fans.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Rough night tonight, guess it could have been worse considering Dallas was up 4-2 after 40 minutes.

But it’s a wash tomorrow if the Kings take care of business against a bad Wings team.

A win means we are gaining atleast one point and hopefully two in the St.L vs Col game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad