Around the League - 15/16 Edition: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
unbelievable suspension considering past judgments.

should have got at least a complete first round suspension, but this is the Bettman era... and the sad thing is we keep supporting this crap

i need to go watch the Oil Kings

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

should have got at least a complete first round suspension, but this is the Bettman era... and the sad thing is we keep supporting this crap

I bet if Keith ended Coyle's career they might give 20 games at most.

Oct 15, 2008

When Chris Pronger is working for player safety, you know you are in deep trouble.

Gary Bettman makes Alan Eagleson look like Jimmy Stewart.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Looks like the Canucks tank blew a tread...scored 2 goals in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd to come back and beat the Ducks in Anaheim of all places. They're now 4 points up on the Oilers and have 2 games in hand.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Simmonds beasting for the Flyers today and the only reason they won. Involved in simply every positive play.

Islanders? lol Not like playoffs much?!?

This club has just been sinking for a long time.

Destroyed by the Pens 5-0. Pens are hottest team in league at the right time.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Schenn shoves Roussel into Quick, puck goes in. Ref calls it no goal on the ice and upholds the call after Dallas challenges. Yet another call in favour of the Kings.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Not sure why the Kings are made into some sort of juggernaut. They look pretty average to me and that is with Doughty playing 28 minutes a game. How much room do they really have to increase his minutes in the playoffs?

The Hawks for reference also look pretty average but only play Keith 25 minutes a night so will be able to bump up his time a lot when they need to.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Thatd be awesome. Ive called it since before the trade that he is going to screw a team over with a good stretch of play right before offseason. He played so incredibly well every Oilers preseason and first 10 games. Every year including this one. Every year he whips fans up in a frenzy. However by game 20 hes back down to his sucky play. Unfortuantly for some GM he wont get to game 20 by the offseason. He is going to go into the offseason with good play and a GM will be so high off him (plus hes young and still has that hype from college days). Pitt Gm is pretty stupid, so hell get a 3.5 Mil long term deal. Then by game 20 of last season fans will be absolutely irrate

But if Pitt makes a stupid decision to resign him, it means one less team pursuing UFA D

So I hope Schultz lights it up the last 5 games. More bad contracts other teams have the better

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Columbus up 4-1 after 2. Just need Toronto to come back in this 3rd period so the Oil can keep winning and still keep the top pick.

Leafs had a youthful excitement explosion the past 10 games or so. Happens when you call up some young guys, they are running on pure adrenline. But that has ran its course and Toronto has gotten fed past 2 games. They will likely lose them all to end the season. Give em 1st, they earned it

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Leafs had a youthful excitement explosion the past 10 games or so. Happens when you call up some young guys, they are running on pure adrenline. But that has ran its course and Toronto has gotten fed past 2 games. They will likely lose them all to end the season. Give em 1st, they earned it

Didn't they just beat Florida like 5-2 two games ago when Kadri got a hat trick?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
3-1 loss to Boston
3-0 loss to Tampa
5-2 win vs Florida
4-1 Loss to Buff
3-1 right now for RW

soon to be 1-4 in last 5

Fair enough. Still could see them winning maybe 2 of their last 4, but yeah I don't think we're gonna finish below them. We'll see I guess. I'd love for us to blow out Calgary tonight and do the same in both games vs Van.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure why the Kings are made into some sort of juggernaut. They look pretty average to me and that is with Doughty playing 28 minutes a game. How much room do they really have to increase his minutes in the playoffs?

The Hawks for reference also look pretty average but only play Keith 25 minutes a night so will be able to bump up his time a lot when they need to.

Really?

An absoloutely loaded Kings team is getting Gaborik, Versteeg, Greene back just in time for the playoffs or sometime in first round in anycase. Lecavalier has also been playing injured leaving the Kings short at Center. That won't be a problem in the playoffs.

Doughty? Guy can handle virtually any minutes thrown at him and one of the best conditioned athletes in the league.

On the Kings team you're seeing right now Kopitar, Toffoli, Lucic, haven't been pushing at all lately. Only Carter lately seems to be in gear and that's bad news for any opposition as Carter was struggling earlier in season.

You know guys like Kopitar are again going to look like best in league once playoffs start..

Only worry is D after Doughty but Greene will probably help out filling out on 3rd pairing to start.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Holy.

Stamkos out 1-3 months due to a blood clot in his arm.

There goes Tampas chances

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Really?

An absoloutely loaded Kings team is getting Gaborik, Versteeg, Greene back just in time for the playoffs or sometime in first round in anycase. Lecavalier has also been playing injured leaving the Kings short at Center. That won't be a problem in the playoffs.

Doughty? Guy can handle virtually any minutes thrown at him and one of the best conditioned athletes in the league.

On the Kings team you're seeing right now Kopitar, Toffoli, Lucic, haven't been pushing at all lately. Only Carter lately seems to be in gear and that's bad news for any opposition as Carter was struggling earlier in season.

You know guys like Kopitar are again going to look like best in league once playoffs start..

Only worry is D after Doughty but Greene will probably help out filling out on 3rd pairing to start.

My point wasn't that Doughty can't handle the minutes. It's that the Kings are already being forced to play him a lot and are looking anything but dominant. They didn't have dominant regular seasons when they won the cup either but Doughty only played about 25 minutes those years so when his ice-time got bumped up, their level of play elevated. Won't have the same luxury this year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

It actually disgusts me that Schultz seems to have picked up his game now that he is in Pittsburgh. Just seeing that makes me glad that we got rid of him. Having a guy like that with zero professionalism in your locker room is poisonous. I mean how do you even live with yourself completely mailing it in while in Edmonton and just collecting a paycheck. The whole ordeal with him leaving college and refusing to sign with the Ducks and instead willing to sign with the Oilers just to get more money should've been a big, red warning sign of his character. Glad he's gone.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
It was never going to work for him in Edmonton since last year though, that much was apparent. Have to remember this guy is a project for Pitt and right now they treat him as such, getting butter soft minutes playing just 15 a night. They're playing him like they're supposed to. Be interesting if they re sign him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It actually disgusts me that Schultz seems to have picked up his game now that he is in Pittsburgh. Just seeing that makes me glad that we got rid of him. Having a guy like that with zero professionalism in your locker room is poisonous. I mean how do you even live with yourself completely mailing it in while in Edmonton and just collecting a paycheck. The whole ordeal with him leaving college and refusing to sign with the Ducks and instead willing to sign with the Oilers just to get more money should've been a big, red warning sign of his character. Glad he's gone.

Justin Schultz is a shining example of horrendous development the Oilers have been guilty of for years. Somehow it took the Penguins zero games to realize Schultz needs to play bottom pairing sheltered minutes. Something the Oilers never figured out in 4 years of this player.

Blame Schultz all you want. If he had been playing where he should have been from the start, he likely would have been a far better player for the Oilers. But instead, he's just going to end up making the Oilers look bad in a years time. Hell, he's already doing it a month after being traded.

Good news though. The Oilers are following the exact same ******** development path with Darnell Nurse this year and slowly ruining his career.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
On topic of around the league.

The Bruins have had an epic collapse down the stretch and now are sitting outside the playoff picture.

I was certain Detroit was done this year. But the Bruins have turned the suck up to 11.

Their second last game of the year is against the Red Wings though. I imagine it's basically going to be whoever wins that game makes it in I imagine.

It's basically the only playoff spot up for grabs still. The Islanders and Flyers each have two games in hand, so pending a pretty epic collapse they'll both be safe. And with the Avalanche 5 points back of the Wild, it would take a miracle for them to make it in.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Justin Schultz is a shining example of horrendous development the Oilers have been guilty of for years. Somehow it took the Penguins zero games to realize Schultz needs to play bottom pairing sheltered minutes. Something the Oilers never figured out in 4 years of this player.

Blame Schultz all you want. If he had been playing where he should have been from the start, he likely would have been a far better player for the Oilers. But instead, he's just going to end up making the Oilers look bad in a years time. Hell, he's already doing it a month after being traded.

Good news though. The Oilers are following the exact same ******** development path with Darnell Nurse this year and slowly ruining his career.

No doubt a lot of blame can be directed at the Oilers but even so every player is equipped with their own brain. These are professional hockey players and they should be able to make decisions and arrive at conclusions on their own and figure out how to improve their game and they are also supposed to work hard even if they're in a ****** situation.

Like, you can't tell me that Justin Schultz couldn't figure out how to shoot the puck in over 200 games wearing an Oilers jersey but somehow he is suddenly able to do it a couple of weeks later in a Penguins jersey? This is a guy that's being paid millions of dollars but just completely mailed it in while here. You can blame coaching and everything else but in the end it comes down to the player and the effort given by Schultz in Edmonton was nothing short of disgusting.

As an aside I would pay good money to see Schultz play a season in Russia. If he thought Edmonton was bad I don't think he'd be able to cope at all in Russia and his feeling-sorry-for-himself act wouldn't be very popular there. I'd bet he'd be kicked off the team halfway through the season.

Either way, will be interesting to see what happens next season. He is playing for a contract now, on a playoff team nontheless, I'm sure as soon as he is signed to a long-term contract he'll go back to mailing it in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad